Re: Making Miniatures

thedugan wrote:

I'm thinking that plaster isn't that toxic. It's ROCK........albeit chemically or thermally altered, but nothing in it is going to alter anything in a stream's biochemistry.

If we were talking polyester esters, then yeah...

It's still illegal...classified by the EPA as a Non-point source pollutant and in most jurisdictions a major do not dump item.  And even concrete alters the pH balance of water. wink  This IS what I do for a living after all...;)

go0gleplex wrote:
thedugan wrote:

I'm thinking that plaster isn't that toxic. It's ROCK........albeit chemically or thermally altered, but nothing in it is going to alter anything in a stream's biochemistry.

If we were talking polyester esters, then yeah...

It's still illegal...classified by the EPA as a Non-point source pollutant and in most jurisdictions a major do not dump item.  And even concrete alters the pH balance of water. wink  This IS what I do for a living after all...;)

..and that's what's WRONG with America.

Rock is a pollutant? Blow air through water and it will shift the pH. ANYTHING will shift the pH of water. Even pure water will shift the pH of water. Water Chemistry is ONE of the things I do.

It's like the EPA proposing reducing the silica content of the air in west Texas when the wind is high. Some nitwit actually proposed putting Lubbock down on the list as a non-attainment area for the excessive silica in the air.

....soooo, we're going to filter out the sand from the air?

The Philipines is looking more attractive by the day. At least I can afford to pay off the politicians there.

..oh, and I did say "BIO" chemistry.

I assume the EPA is more concerned with protecting endangered species of pond slime that the actual water chemistry.

Of course, that's an ASS U M PTION...
:roll:

Fine, I'll dump it in the trash, right next to my oil fliters....
lol

thedugan wrote:

THAT is the information that I needed. A "foot wide cube" is like 7.48 gallons IIRC....that's a BUTTLOAD of resin, and answers my cost question. Unless the diestones are totally unsuitable for the model in question, I'm thinking that they are much cheaper for the given volume, given what you and Jim have said.

I just want to say that I wasn't being in any way accurate with that foot cube comment.  For all I remember, it could have been 9 or 10 inches (though I think it was bigger).  That makes quite a big difference once you're working out volume.  I'd ask for the dimensions/volume and mix ratios from any seller.  Find out exactly how much you're getting in true casting volume.

One of the problems with filling a slush/roto-cast resin piece with plaster is that plaster expands.  While not lots, you could get a crack in the resin shell from the pressure.  I know time is of the essence for many hobby pursuits, but I'd probably pour the inside of the resin shell in two stages, letting the plaster cure at least part way between the two.  My current thinking is to simply fill them with an expanding polyurethane foam or a plaster/die stone with lots of filler to keep the weight down.

And yes, you can slush/roto-cast with die stone and plasters.  It just takes a bit of patience.  Die stone that sets rapidly is obviously better than plasters that usually take longer.  I don't think it would work very well by hand.  You'd probably need to build some crazy roto-casting contraption.  Or be willing to sit there watching TV rotating a small mould by hand for half an hour.  If you get a die stone that is made for quick setting, you could probably get that down to 10 minutes.

Did you do the Hirst Arts thing? Most of the links that folks been putting up are familiar, I've been there before.

Yeah, I did some hirst arts blocks.  Took an awful lot of work/time unless you had multiple moulds or made moulds of blocks you wanted in higher quantities.  I always thought the Linka approach was better, where you cast wall pieces rather than individual blocks.  But that's the wrong scale for me, so I'll have to make my own wall moulds for 10mm/N-Scale buildings.

FYI...

http://www.canyonstatedentalsupply.com/garreco2.htm

Don't know whether they sell to non-dentists or not, I just ordered a 50# box from Clint Sales, and was looking for something else.

Don't know about shipping, either...

nathan wrote:
thedugan wrote:

THAT is the information that I needed. A "foot wide cube" is like 7.48 gallons IIRC....that's a BUTTLOAD of resin, and answers my cost question. Unless the diestones are totally unsuitable for the model in question, I'm thinking that they are much cheaper for the given volume, given what you and Jim have said.

I just want to say that I wasn't being in any way accurate with that foot cube comment.  For all I remember, it could have been 9 or 10 inches (though I think it was bigger).  That makes quite a big difference once you're working out volume.  I'd ask for the dimensions/volume and mix ratios from any seller.  Find out exactly how much you're getting in true casting volume.

If it's 6 inches on a side, then it's a bit less then a gallon. A gallon is four times as much as the resin retail. Three quarts is about 39$ - about what I'm paying for 50 pounds of Excalibur sans shipping.

No worries, If it's as big as what you're thinking, then it's WAY better.

It's just a hassle to order and ship it...

As for mix ratios, one reason I picked Excalibur was that it mixes more like plaster does. Only production will tell the tale as to whether or not it will work out volume-wise.

nathan wrote:

One of the problems with filling a slush/roto-cast resin piece with plaster is that plaster expands.  While not lots, you could get a crack in the resin shell from the pressure.  I know time is of the essence for many hobby pursuits, but I'd probably pour the inside of the resin shell in two stages, letting the plaster cure at least part way between the two.  My current thinking is to simply fill them with an expanding polyurethane foam or a plaster/die stone with lots of filler to keep the weight down.

And yes, you can slush/roto-cast with die stone and plasters.  It just takes a bit of patience.  Die stone that sets rapidly is obviously better than plasters that usually take longer.  I don't think it would work very well by hand.  You'd probably need to build some crazy roto-casting contraption.  Or be willing to sit there watching TV rotating a small mould by hand for half an hour.  If you get a die stone that is made for quick setting, you could probably get that down to 10 minutes.

You could fill with darn near anything, just mind the resin's brittle nature.

I've actually seen some "crazy roto-casting contraptions" - I'll leave that for later. smile

nathan wrote:
thedugan wrote:

Did you do the Hirst Arts thing? Most of the links that folks been putting up are familiar, I've been there before.

Yeah, I did some hirst arts blocks.  Took an awful lot of work/time unless you had multiple moulds or made moulds of blocks you wanted in higher quantities.  I always thought the Linka approach was better, where you cast wall pieces rather than individual blocks.  But that's the wrong scale for me, so I'll have to make my own wall moulds for 10mm/N-Scale buildings.

Done a lot of this? You seem to know a bit about molding....

No, I've just worked in a lot of fabrication related jobs.  Etching glass, reproducing architectural features (like antique plaster trim on Victorian era houses) and stuff like that.  I've also done a lot of pottery, including slush casting with slip clay.  About 5 or 6 years ago, I also was involved in a start up company to sell wargames terrain online but we lost our first round of finished product in a shipping accident and neither myself nor my business partner had the money at the time to start again (refunding preorders sucks).  As well, since then the USD has really dropped and shipping costs from Canada to the US have doubled, so I don't feel so bad about that anymore-- we couldn't operate in today's environment as the US was our target market.  I'm also an information sponge kind of a thinker, so things like the fact that resin shrinks but plaster expands stick with me.  :shock:

Ahh.. you're a dabbler and pedant like me....
big_smile

My Excaliber is on the way....

My Excaliber arrived today!

Frankly, it's not real exciting to look at - it's just an enormous clear plastic bag of light gray powder at this point. It's about half a cubic foot - volume wise - for 50 pounds.

I'll use my crappy kitty litter mold tomorrow (if it doesn't rain) and see how hard it is and just how much volume it looses when mixed.

If it rains, I'll cobble up a starship model to make a mold of.

thedugan wrote:

Ahh.. you're a dabbler and pedant like me....

Exactly.

Well, the models are at home, and they hadn't dried enough to throw, but I de-molded them after about 30-40 minutes. I mixed WAY too much, so I dumped it into a old meat container I had purloined for just this purpose. The WASTE from the process seemed to be as much a pint of resin would fill.

If the plaster is good enough for most models, then it's WAY more cost-effective - despite my previous reservations. Not to mention less mess and no noxious-ness....

the rock I cast takes a little less than 1/6th cup of materials total with waste.

I think even with slush/rotational casting with the resin, the excaliber will probably be quite a bargain.  Add in the longer mould life and the lack of noxious organic solvents and you may find yourself looking at resin as being the situational thing you'll grab only for certain models and mould types.

I'm contemplating getting some dental stone specifically made for rotational/slush casting.  Stuff that sets up quickly.  The dental supply place that's relatively local to me said they had some.  They said they have customers who are artists who buy the stuff to do hand rotational casting where the person turns the mould around by hand.  I love the sound of cheap, mostly hollow, strong gypsum casts at a low cost.  They also said that it'll work as a regular (albeit quick setting) casting stone. 

I'm hoping I can get dental stone to work in a two part mould.  I've never tried it.  I've only ever done a single sided cast with the stuff.

If I can do what I'd like to do, I'll be doing a few two part molds.

jimbeau wrote:

the rock I cast takes a little less than 1/6th cup of materials total with waste.

Well, I just put some water in a throwaway cup (less than 1/2 cup) and put in as much plaster as it looked like it would hold.

Hirst Arts basically said mix this like you would plaster, the ratio wasn't critical.

Next time, I'll use less water to start out with. smile

The "plate" is basically a ceramic chunk. The ships are pretty hard, as hard as anything I've done before, and the detail is real good. I used some acrylic admixture instead of water to mix a smaller batch this morning, seems about the same.

Acrylic Admix is used in setting tile, and I happened to have some sitting around. I'll let this second batch cure for a while, and we'll see just how hard it is. They set up just fine, even though Garreco says that using additives isn't really needed or wanted. I didn't use water, just the mix.

Now for the slow process of making more models - ones that don't suck...

I used to add a decent amount of black acrylic paint to the water (the cheap stuff from the dollar store).  It was more for terrain stuff-- I wanted any part that chipped not to be glaringly white.  Worked quite well.   I didn't notice any change to the final pieces beyond colour.  Some people claim adding like 5-10% of the volume of the water in white glue gives the pieces a smoother finish and makes them more resistant to snapping.  There are also polymer additives for gypsum based cements you can get, but I don't know anything about those.

nathan wrote:

I used to add a decent amount of black acrylic paint to the water (the cheap stuff from the dollar store).  It was more for terrain stuff-- I wanted any part that chipped not to be glaringly white.  Worked quite well.   I didn't notice any change to the final pieces beyond colour.  Some people claim adding like 5-10% of the volume of the water in white glue gives the pieces a smoother finish and makes them more resistant to snapping.  There are also polymer additives for gypsum based cements you can get, but I don't know anything about those.

Yeah, heard of that stuff, and started out modifying POP with latex additive, PVA Glue, and other things. Excaliber is a HELL of a lot less trouble.

The Admix I added is probably real close to the polymer additives used in gypsum. The pieces I cast as a test will have to cure overnight, but I don't think that it's worth the trouble unless the players want to throw them around on a regular basis.

It's just like using water, but it's just extra expense. I was curious to see if it worked at all. It did...

I looked a bit more into admixtures.  I see what they're for now.  They should work marvelously with any gypsum based product.  Though with the break strength of excaliber on it's own, I can see why you might not bother.  Does the piece with the admixture have to cure overnight in the mold, or do you demold it first?

nathan wrote:

I looked a bit more into admixtures.  I see what they're for now.  They should work marvelously with any gypsum based product.  Though with the break strength of excaliber on it's own, I can see why you might not bother.  Does the piece with the admixture have to cure overnight in the mold, or do you demold it first?

Nope, it's already demolded. I didn't time it, but it seemed to take a bit longer to harden up - it also seemed to have more time where it was 'soft' while still being firm enough to demold.

I'm at work now, it seemed as if it hadn't hardened much more before I left.

So, Jim, you done anymore with that Excalibur, or is it too damn cold to do anything there too?

just demolded more asteroids and looking to cast.

cold? in my basement?

anyway, I 'll have my hands full with painting the japanese minis I got from GZG...

Sorry about posting to an old thread.  I figured the forum isn't fast paced enough for it to be a huge issue.

I've been making moulds of stuff I built and casting them with gypsum based putties for the last year and a bit.

I eventually settled on using silicone sealant, thinned with silicone oil (a non toxic alternative to naptha and easily available as it's used to put inside of shocks for RC cars), the curing accelerated with cheap acrylic craft paint.  The moulds are flexible and strong and I've cast them all atleast 10 times and they haven't degraded.

I'm finding the dental stone stuff easier to work with than resin.  I've been building my masters to be cast as one sided moulds, but have even had some luck making two part moulds and pouring them, plugging them and hand rotating for a slush cast.

I'll see if I can borrow a friend's digital camera, but sadly I don't have one right now.

Don't worry about posting to an old thread - not on my account, anyway.... haven't worked on this in forever (wow, two years already?), got busy doing other things.

Where do you get the silicone oil?

I can't see going to the trouble with polyester resins, either.

I remembered before, I made my own miniature.