Re: New universe?

go0gleplex wrote:

What...with the example of our ecomony and the middle east we're not good at breaking things ourselves?!?! :shock:  lol

Sure, but given modern surveillance techniques, and the improvement of the average lifestyle to a point where most everyone is quite a bit above the subsistence level, and I think that 'internal discord' is less and less likely to be an instigator of the downfall of a civilization.

Sure, it's still possible.....but that's not what Dan postulated.

It's also possible that the State's ability to supress internal discord would have been lessened due to external pressures.

go0gleplex wrote:

As demonstrated through history, once an empire expands beyond its communication ability it can no longer effectively govern leading to splintering, division, revolt, etc.

Which begs another question, is FTL communication possible - at least between major population centers - if not between ships?

go0gleplex wrote:

Then we have the power hungry machovellians (sp) and intrigue...fleet commanders out on the fringe where the emporers authority is administered by his own fleet ships...

True....

go0gleplex wrote:

Subject alien races would be definitely prone to the revolt, particularly if they were biding their time for their technology to catch up to the superior imperials. It would be unlikely for a higher tech alien force to be involved since they a) would have already been a known enemy and held off only by the sheer numbers of imperials; b) any aliens with superior tech within the boundaries of the empire would have been wiped out and their tech assimilated or playing nice and organizing a third column to bring the empire down from within....
:ugeek:

..and are there any subjugated races, or are we so enlighted at that point that it's not an issue?

cricket wrote:
murtalianconfederacy wrote:

Ah, damnit, its Kwahworc Ercnal. Backwards, its the Lancre Crowhawk, a species of hawk in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. If I remember correctly, its other name is the wowhawk, like a goshawk but less forceful. It is a carnivore always looking for the vegetarian option...:D

Yeah... not so sure about naming factions after stuff from other peoples' work, even if it is backwards. smile

Ah well, had to try...:)

Remember...

File off the Serial Numbers, sandblast, THEN paint....

Whatever you do, just make sure the universe is set 40,000 years in the future.
It'll sell.
Big time.
wink

go0gleplex wrote:

As demonstrated through history, once an empire expands beyond its communication ability it can no longer effectively govern leading to splintering, division, revolt, etc. Then we have the power hungry machovellians (sp) and intrigue...fleet commanders out on the fringe where the emporers authority is administered by his own fleet ships...

True -- I think there's plenty of reason to believe there will be internal strife that hastens the Empire's fall, but I want the trigger to be external.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

thedugan wrote:

Which begs another question, is FTL communication possible - at least between major population centers - if not between ships?

I don't know ... I would assume so. A galaxy-wide empire would be difficult to maintain without some (a lot of) communication.

..and are there any subjugated races, or are we so enlighted at that point that it's not an issue?

Well, depending on who you talk to, it's either "subjugated" or "liberated"... smile

Seriously -- I see it as a heterogeneous grouping. Some of the subject states joined the Empire "willingly", while others were conquered.

Here's a thought:

The title of Emperor is not hereditary, but elected. There are precious few Electors, and very few of them are Human. This means the Human population in the galaxy (which just happens to be the majority smile) feels left out and marginalized -- so when the Fall happens, the Humans are among the first to see an opportunity. They are the driving force behind the Assembly. While they see this as more representative and "fair", many non-Humans fear being shut out of the power structure.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

underling wrote:

It'll sell.
Big time.
wink

heh....yeah, and make REALLY over-detailed minis in a non-standard scale, and just RAKE that stuff in...

I'd make FTL comm something that requires some serious cube-age, so it's only on huge ships, installations, and somewhat important planets.

Well, depending on who you talk to, it's either "subjugated" or "liberated"... smile
Seriously -- I see it as a heterogeneous grouping. Some of the subject states joined the Empire "willingly", while others were conquered.

I can see where conquered members started out as threats, and had to be subjugated to remove the threat - I can't see them getting a 'vote' as you outline below. Non-threatening races (or races totally oblivious to the Empire) ar simply surrounded by Empire Space, and mostly ignored.

Here's a thought:
The title of Emperor is not hereditary, but elected. There are precious few Electors, and very few of them are Human. This means the Human population in the galaxy (which just happens to be the majority smile) feels left out and marginalized -- so when the Fall happens, the Humans are among the first to see an opportunity. They are the driving force behind the Assembly. While they see this as more representative and "fair", many non-Humans fear being shut out of the power structure.

...which in turn leads to more acrimony, and keeps any reformation of the Empire weak if not non-functional. It ends up becoming a community of races that share some common experience and technology - but actual governmental functionality doesn't exist beyond small local groupings. They MIGHT co-operate in the face of a threat.

NOW, do I start making up some factions?  big_smile

I forgot the adjacent allied empires who would be ripe for some glory hungry warmonger or previously mentioned machiavellians to instigate a war only to find out that their intelligence on the capabilities etc of their 'victims' and/or their frontier fleets was a tad...flawed.

That would be one way of outside instigation without too much undo tipping of scales I think.

thedugan wrote:
underling wrote:

It'll sell.
Big time.
wink

heh....yeah, and make REALLY over-detailed minis in a non-standard scale...

Wif lots o' skulz...

and enormous swords

jimbeau wrote:

and enormous swords

I still say they're simply overcompensating for other "issues".  tongue

jimbeau wrote:

and enormous swords

..and spiky shoulder pads to bowl over opponents....

go0gleplex wrote:
jimbeau wrote:

and enormous swords

I still say they're simply overcompensating for other "issues".  tongue

Da Orks reproduce by sporez or budding....don't they?

thedugan wrote:

Remember...

File off the Serial Numbers, sandblast, THEN paint....

I thought it'd be enough just to file off the serial numbers then paint.

Hmm, maybe another name for them could be the Ammercnal. Yes, the Benevolent and Righteous Ammercnal Imperial Dominion...

smile

thedugan wrote:

Remember...File off the Serial Numbers, sandblast, THEN paint....

I thought it'd be enough just to file off the serial numbers then paint.

Nah, you leave too many well defined edges and the file marks show up too well.

You may have to apply bondo, too - sometimes the serial numbers are incised real deep.

:ugeek:

Hmm, maybe another name for them could be the Ammercnal. Yes, the Benevolent and Righteous Ammercnal Imperial Dominion... smile

Too many consonants running together.

The Canamurens?

I'm willing to sacrifice the 'n'. The Ammercal. But thats my final offer...:)

If you're serious about something along these lines, "North American Combine" has a nice ring - but I seem to recall it being taken - West Columbian Commonwealth, Normerican Commonwealth, Solarian Assemblage?

thedugan wrote:

If you're serious about something along these lines, "North American Combine" has a nice ring

Three things:

1) This isn't necessarily "our" galaxy, so "North American" isn't an appropriate appellation.

2) Even if it were "our" galaxy, "North American" seems very limited in scope -- we're talking about thousands of star systems here. smile

3) The Combine was a faction in SJ's OGRE.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

That's why I said:
"but I seem to recall it being taken" ..didn't remember where.

Ammercal seemed an obvious nod to "American-Californian" to me, but "Solarian Assemblage" (or, Solarian XXXwhateverXXX) seemed a more usable name...

cricket wrote:

1) This isn't necessarily "our" galaxy, so "North American" isn't an appropriate appellation.

Well, it would've been an appropriate appellation until the last election.
And now, well...
Heh heh heh
:mrgreen:

Nope.

I'm British, so I would've gone for something like the New Avalonian Union, maybe, or the Albionian Empire.

Nope.
I'm British, so I would've gone for something like the New Avalonian Union, maybe, or the Albionian Empire.

Alrighty - I always loose track of who's from where - I'd of said "Empire of Avalon", or "Democratic Star Union of Avalon". We'd BOTH be Solarians, but I'm not sure what the 'right' name of Weber's Solarian nation is in those Honor Harrington books. He can't copyright Solarian, but the other name might be...

"Benevolent and Righteous Ammercnal Imperial Dominion"...hmmm.....

Benevolent and Righteous Dominion of Am-C'nali?

Benevolent Dominion of Ammerc'nali?

Having all those consonants together screams "needs punctuation!" to me...I'm not sure where to through in accents and pauses. Don't ask me to do glottal stops...

I"m not clear why "Donegali" is better than "Negali" - perhaps the Negali is a more 'fundamentalist' version of Donegali...

thedugan wrote:

Alrighty - I always loose track of who's from where - I'd of said "Empire of Avalon", or "Democratic Star Union of Avalon". We'd BOTH be Solarians, but I'm not sure what the 'right' name of Weber's Solarian nation is in those Honor Harrington books. He can't copyright Solarian, but the other name might be...

Again, this is not "our" galaxy -- at least not overtly -- so the names "Avalon" and "Solarian" would not fit.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

So, we need punctuation....
big_smile