Re: New universe?

Since things have slowed down...

We need a name for the Empire. Is it primarily Human-analogs? (since it's explicitly NOT future-earth)

There's a certain magic in using familiar terms, as new names and places need an explanation. Conversely, old names also carry baggage....I don't want to bog down at this stage, as a name can be suggested as we describe the Empire.

So, for the time being we can simply refer to *IT* as "The Empire"...

What other factions are needed?

What technology is extant?

We need more input, I don't want to dominate the discussion or squash any useful ideas.

SFO has died again, and I need a creative outlet.

...and yes, I've done more bots for my web-comic, but had to work on my Kia - that has occupied my attention for over a week.
wink

thedugan wrote:

We need a name for the Empire. Is it primarily Human-analogs? (since it's explicitly NOT future-earth)

We can refer to them as Human without explicitly identifying it as "our" galaxy (a la Star Wars, Foundation, etc.)

As far as a name goes, part of me wants to just call it "The Empire", as in, there really wouldn't be any OTHER Empires... at least none worth mentioning.

I'm not sure I want to get into tech-specifics -- relying instead on Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Obviously, there is some variation in levels of technological development, but I'd rather focus on capabilities, rather than technologies -- i.e. this particular race is able to teleport from here to there, while that race isn't able to; but HOW they teleport can remain a mystery.

I think that also fits in with a heterogeneous Imperial setting, in which many races may obtain capabilities due to contact with other races but not really understand the tech behind those capabilities.

One thing that probably should be defined, however, is interstellar travel/communication. Different races are unlikely to have different methods of achieving that particular magic trick... smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:
thedugan wrote:

We can refer to them as Human without explicitly identifying it as "our" galaxy (a la Star Wars, Foundation, etc.)

As far as a name goes, part of me wants to just call it "The Empire", as in, there really wouldn't be any OTHER Empires... at least none worth mentioning.

Obviously, there is some variation in levels of technological development, but I'd rather focus on capabilities, rather than technologies -- i.e. this particular race is able to teleport from here to there, while that race isn't able to; but HOW they teleport can remain a mystery.

I think that also fits in with a heterogeneous Imperial setting, in which many races may obtain capabilities due to contact with other races but not really understand the tech behind those capabilities.

One thing that probably should be defined, however, is interstellar travel/communication. Different races are unlikely to have different methods of achieving that particular magic trick... smile

The "Uplift" principle. smile

The Vatta books had large ansible like stations in settled systems providing THE key linkage through human space. The antagonists took out several of those and were able to have a military hey day without the "empire" realizing just what was happening until too late.  I could see something similar within this universe, whereas the form may vary, the tech behind it stays consistent.

Maybe simply call it the THOUSAND STARS EMPIRE or such thing....for a two-cent toss.

cricket wrote:
thedugan wrote:

Works until someone comes up with something better....

cricket wrote:

I'm not sure I want to get into tech-specifics -- relying instead on Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

I don't want detailed technological explanations, just -

- who has FTL? What's the basic technique? Jump? Warp? Gates?

- How pervasive are Robots? AI? Are they used as household servants, or limited to military applications?

- Nanotech? Trek-Style Fabricators?

- Transporters/Teleporters?

There's more, but these things WILL change the lifestyles of the general populace. If nanotech-using factories and medicine is available, then you're going to have something like "The Culture"....not a bad thing, but it's hard to write something until these (and other boudaries) are set...

cricket wrote:

Perhaps not, but perhaps the military has a faster (but not real efficient) way to punch through the void.

Perhaps Merchants use jump gates, and larger military ships are independently jump-capable (yeah, incidentally - like in Babylon 5).

Perhaps Military ships are able to execute jumps more rapidly, or able to jump farther.

Perhaps Merchants use gates, and the military uses something like Warp?

go0gleplex wrote:

The Vatta books had large ansible like stations in settled systems providing THE key linkage through human space. The antagonists took out several of those and were able to have a military hey day without the "empire" realizing just what was happening until too late.  I could see something similar within this universe, whereas the form may vary, the tech behind it stays consistent.

Gates and Comm Stations WOULD be prime targets.

go0gleplex wrote:

Maybe simply call it the THOUSAND STARS EMPIRE or such thing....for a two-cent toss.

The Glorious Empire of a Million Suns?

The citizens would be real GEMS then, no?   lol

BAD pun! BAD!

thedugan wrote:

BAD pun! BAD!

It's our department's turn to take the mail this week, and I made the run tonite...as i went through the other departments on my way out I was asking...

"Anything needing to go postal tonite?"

(dead serious)

The most common response was;
"nothing but myself, but thanks for asking".

Speaks VOLUMES about what folks think of the work environment in city hall, no?!?  lol  :twisted:  lol

go0gleplex wrote:
thedugan wrote:

BAD pun! BAD!

It's our department's turn to take the mail this week, and I made the run tonite...as i went through the other departments on my way out I was asking...

"Anything needing to go postal tonite?"

(dead serious)

The most common response was;
"nothing but myself, but thanks for asking".

Speaks VOLUMES about what folks think of the work environment in city hall, no?!?  lol  :twisted:  lol

heh.... lol

thedugan wrote:
murtalianconfederacy wrote:

Nope.
I'm British, so I would've gone for something like the New Avalonian Union, maybe, or the Albionian Empire.

Alrighty - I always loose track of who's from where - I'd of said "Empire of Avalon", or "Democratic Star Union of Avalon". We'd BOTH be Solarians, but I'm not sure what the 'right' name of Weber's Solarian nation is in those Honor Harrington books. He can't copyright Solarian, but the other name might be...

"Benevolent and Righteous Ammercnal Imperial Dominion"...hmmm.....

Benevolent and Righteous Dominion of Am-C'nali?

Benevolent Dominion of Ammerc'nali?

Having all those consonants together screams "needs punctuation!" to me...I'm not sure where to through in accents and pauses. Don't ask me to do glottal stops...

I"m not clear why "Donegali" is better than "Negali" - perhaps the Negali is a more 'fundamentalist' version of Donegali...

Seems easy enough to say to me. I envision the 'c' as a hard sound, so it would be Ammerknal. But if it needs punctuation, heres where it could go...

Benevolent and Righteous Am'nal Imperial Dominion.

...and the obvious come bacl is "..and do they wear corn rows?"

big_smile

Any answers to my tech questions?

:?:

Thats all I have to say...

Yeah, I don't get the "cornrows" thing, either... and I'm not sure I want to.

Regarding the tech question, I thought I had answered that:

I wrote:

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

B_enevolent and
R_ighteous
A_m'nal
I_mperial
D_ominion

big_smile

cricket wrote:

Yeah, I don't get the "cornrows" thing, either... and I'm not sure I want to.

Regarding the tech question, I thought I had answered that:

I wrote:

Perhaps I'm going further afield than I need to just to make ship stats....

I saw it...I just refrained from commenting on it so as not to exceed my pun quota. wink

Ahh... just saw that you DID have specific questions.

thedugan wrote:

I'm not sure -- but I do know FTL travel is "instantaneous" for those in transit, even though weeks (or months) may pass for those on the "outside".

- How pervasive are Robots? AI? Are they used as household servants, or limited to military applications?

Depends on the culture -- but I would think that if robots exist at all, they will find their way into everyday life.

Nanotech? Maybe.

Fabricators? No.

No.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

I was going to state that very thing.  I think it would be an interesting concept if the actual name of the Empire was just "The Empire" or "Unnamed Empire" since after its destruction, people didn't want to call it by its 'real' name (the populous is slowly erasing the actual name from the record books et al).

-Bren

cricket wrote:

thedugan wrote:

I'm not sure -- but I do know FTL travel is "instantaneous" for those in transit, even though weeks (or months) may pass for those on the "outside".

Okay, no point in describing 'hyperspace, then - other than a brief treatise on navigation and jump tech.

cricket wrote:

Depends on the culture -- but I would think that if robots exist at all, they will find their way into everyday life.

So, pretty much how i described them in SFO - military haulers/computers and factory grunts - and the ever-pervasive Roomba...

cricket wrote:

Nanotech? Maybe.Fabricators? No.

No Culture-level tech then. Somewhere between Trek and B5....

cricket wrote:

No.

Okay...

cricket wrote:

thedugan wrote:

Aaaaahhhhhhhh nooooooooo! Not time debt!!!!!!!!
Just kidding, I actually like it and think it makes things more "interesting" when campaigning (ships out of contact while in transit, etc). This is especially interesting if there is no FTL comm tech, and it makes interstellar empires more interesting in some ways (semi-autonomous regional Governors for example) by adding an "Age of Sail" kind of feel when doing anything over significant distances.
Cheers,
Erik

cricket wrote:

thedugan wrote:

Blacklancer99 wrote:

Aaaaahhhhhhhh nooooooooo! Not time debt!!!!!!!!
Just kidding, I actually like it and think it makes things more "interesting" when campaigning (ships out of contact while in transit, etc). This is especially interesting if there is no FTL comm tech, and it makes interstellar empires more interesting in some ways (semi-autonomous regional Governors for example) by adding an "Age of Sail" kind of feel when doing anything over significant distances.
Cheers,
Erik

What makes it different is that the crew is not congnizant of time passing.

"WHAT? what do you mean 3 centuries have passed?"

"Eh, we were just slightly off course, we were in a hurry to calculate a course, as the fleet was getting hammered..."

I agree, makes things more 'interesting'....

big_smile

Admiral. If you do not cooperate with my instructions fully, assassins will exterminate your family on my signal.

Listen you alien idiot. It took us 4 centuries of real time to get here...my family has been dead for the last 350 years! Ensign...FIRE!

Had an idea for the external threat that brought down the Empire... one word:

Bugs!

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

Had an idea for the external threat that brought down the Empire... one word:

Bugs!

Tiny cockroach like creatures from a distant fringe world that just so happen to like the taste of the insulation surrounding  FTL drive assemblies. They eat slowly but reproduce rapidly, spreading from ship to ship, eating, breeding and spreading until drives begin to fail, seemingly at random. Then, thousands of ships are lost...interstellar commerce breaks down...anarchy reigns, all because nobody ever thought ot spray the Hyperdrive down with raid!!!!

Or I suppose you could do blindingly fast, super strong, chitinous, pointy, nasty bugs that kill Kill KILL!!!!!

How about nanotech listening devices that were designed to independently move around for better reception become mysteriously self aware, and once they link into a single consciousness galaxy wide they know damn near everything! Muahahahahahahaha  :twisted:

I'm sure whatever you have in mind will be fine too.
big_smile

Cheers,
Erik

Bugs!?!

EMPEROR!! MICROSOFT HAS ARRIVED! WE MUST FLEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeee...

lol