Re: STARFIRE Designs

I downloaded these files, but when I try to unarchive them, the give me crc errors.   Any help, or links to working files?

Give me your email via a private message, and I will send you the pdf files.
BTW, I'm trying to recreate the starfire ships , much more like they are in Imperial Starfire. Those I made here were more like how they could have been if each race was particularly different and didn't try to mimick each other.

Marc

I've begun to rework the ships design from The Stars at War (I'm surely monomaniac, and reading Starfire books from Mr Weber shouldn't improve my state a bit). I will now use a more accurate method.
Starfire is not a game of racial trait, it's a game of arms race. Races are copying each other, and in the end, aside some particular races, you tend to have the same ships/weapons. More or less.
I will use the same principles as above for the size hull, speed, shield (although I added overload dampener to the total of S and A, as they act a bit as a protection and in the end, they soak up a bit of damage), weapons.
I disregard the pseudo racial traits I used, and Fire Control, Countermeasures, etc. will be used when included in the original ship design with the following lines:
Data Link > fire control
? > countermeasures
?2 > stealth or cloaking device, I'm not sure which one.
D, Di, etc. > AFB, then if their number/quality is high enough, I add point defense
Fighters: Only one type, in the end, for simplicity sake and because it seems to be the best one (fighters are very powerful in Star'fire). It will be the one with DMG2 (rockets).
XO: Each group of 6 XO will be replaced by one drone; as fighter, only one type will be used (standard missile, stats indicated above).
Other systems will be included if they are worth it.
Carrier: In my first try, I sized carriers as their 'regular' coounterparts, and I added as many fighters as I can. But the result was wrong, and they cost was too high. In the second try, they carried the same number as fighters as the original design and I reduced they size accordingly, making them cheaper and more affordable. It seems they were more like the original designs, which tend to die quickly because the hangars were easily killed. Reducing their size seems to do the same effect. I will do again like that.
Weapons: Each shiops will have the same type and number of weapons as the original designs. Their firearcs will be as large as possible (although it will never include E, F, and L).
Thechnology: It is a very important part in Starfire. I will use them, but classifying HT in starmada technological levels.
I will use them at discretion, according to the systems the sips originally include.
All original ships will be made here, including their refits. I've done the ES, CT, FG and some of the DD. I have made currently... 20 ships!
More news later.

Marc

Marc, thanks for all your work on this!  I plan to download and playtest a couple of the files.  I'll let you know how it goes.

I can't get the files to open, any suggestions?  Can you post them as a PDF?

Here is one.

Marc

The second one.

marc

Third

Marc

Fourth

Marc

Last one.
As I said, those are ships with a Starfire feeling mainly with weapons, atempting to give them some tracial traits (although most of thelm shouldn't have them), and I'm working on ships closer to Starfire than here. Note that ships will be muchj more numerous...

Marc

Thanks so much Marc!  I have been a Starfire fan as long as you have and I can't wait to try these ships out!

Tell me what you think of them. I've tried them twice and they look good, but I wonder if they couldn't be better (in which way...?).

Marc

Me and my buds will give it a whirl and let you know!

Printing ships out now for playtest!

Any thoughts on adding in Datalink?

When I reviewed the Starfire materials, I decided to translate datalink into fire control. As the system allows for a better concentration of fire, ie, more missiles able to hit and damaging ships quicker, I supposed fire control could be the answer.
As I said (very) earlier, it's impossible to translate everything frolm Starfire into Starmada.

Marc

We will be running a Carrier Fight this coming Tuesday at the Game Club.  Rigelians vs Terrans.  I'll post an AAR and pics by Wednesday.