Re: New edition of Starmada coming in January!

Enpeze wrote:

So my question to Dan: Is it possible to release a special pdf where each single optional rule chapter is layouted on a seperate page? So one can buy the "classic-one-sausage" version and/or such a segmented special version? Or has someone an idea for another solution for this (admittedly rather small) problem?

Possible?

Yes.

I suppose if there were enough call for such a thing, I could include a version of the book formatted this way...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

I would argue that, when using an inertial/vector-based movement system, there is no such thing. Your ability to accelerate/decelerate is inherently tied to your ability to change course (since changing course simply means accelerating in a different direction).

Now I understand your problem.

On the other hand, aside the method of conversion, I fail to see a difference between the three types of shield.

Not sure I understand... ?

Aside the SAE value which change to obtain the same SNE shield value (screens are better than facet, for example), will there be a difference between them (SAE shield, screen and facet) or will they be treated exactly the same?

Marc

madpax wrote:

Aside the SAE value which change to obtain the same SNE shield value (screens are better than facet, for example), will there be a difference between them (SAE shield, screen and facet) or will they be treated exactly the same?

Ah, I get it.

Faceted shields are being replaced by a new trait called "directional defenses".

Screens are not currently supported in the new rules, but could be.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Here's my "agile" pitch:

Agile is a ship trait that is used only when executing a "Come about" or "Reverse Course" maneuver. 
Agile has a rating (1, 2, 3, etc).
Each point of agile adds to your thrust rating both for determining if you are eligible to make a "Come about" or "Reverse Course" manuever (based on last turns speed) and the maximum speed you can be at when exectuing those two manuevers.

So essentially its like "thrust lite".  It doesn't help you on the accelerate or decelerate if you are just going straight, but when you are turning.

-Tim

Marauder wrote:

Here's my "agile" pitch:

Agile is a ship trait that is used only when executing a "Come about" or "Reverse Course" maneuver. 
Agile has a rating (1, 2, 3, etc).
Each point of agile adds to your thrust rating both for determining if you are eligible to make a "Come about" or "Reverse Course" manuever (based on last turns speed) and the maximum speed you can be at when exectuing those two manuevers.

So essentially its like "thrust lite".  It doesn't help you on the accelerate or decelerate if you are just going straight, but when you are turning.

-Tim

I like this very much.  Any thoughts on how it might work in non-newtonian / basic-style movement, though?  Just free turns up to the Agile score?

Marauder wrote:

Here's my "agile" pitch:

<snip>

Sounds good.  I haven't tried to find holes in it, but I do like it.

Pivots are a fundamental movement option in a space game thought no?  Moving in one direction and facing another?

As you have already introduced counters for current speed could you not use a "heading" counter? 

Pivots:
- Spend thrust to pivot one or more hex sides (this can be reduced by the agile trait)
- Place counter to determine facing or heading
- Perhaps reduce to half thrust while pivoted to represent different thrusters need to be used.

I'm sure someone who knows more about physics can determine what the cost should be related to hull size or speed, but my suggestion seems a basic start.

I thought the new edition was to make things easier for new players to take up the game, not to pander to the few.
Anyone that has played Starmada can house rule to their hearts content.

This is getting to sound like a lot of "Asteroids*" to me.

*Pivot, Thrust, Pivot, Thrust, shoot asteroid, shoot asteroid, pivot, thrust, Oh ****. lol

Paul

Hey Dan, any chance the rules will be available this weekend? My wife's working Saturday and Sunday so I have some free time to pour over, analyze, dissect and absorb some rules  smile
Besides, all the speculation about what the rules do/don't have and what that might mean is driving me nuts. I just want to play and find out how everything works!
Just wondering, sorry to be impatient.
Cheers,
Erik

OldnGrey wrote:

I thought the new edition was to make things easier for new players to take up the game, not to pander to the few.
Anyone that has played Starmada can house rule to their hearts content.
Paul

First, it will surely be an optional rule  smile . Second, it's not difficult to say 'I move the ship this way, etc. and at the end of its move, I use some thrust to pivot that way'.
You'll just need a marker to indicate the pivot, not only to re-pivot the ship the other way, but also to decide next turn if it will be modified or not.
I like the agile proposal, too.

Marc

I find it unintuive if a ship can turn its "nose" during flight. I can accept a "roll" like you can often see in movies with warplanes, but not a pivot. And no, I dont care about RL physics because IMO Starmada is game and not a physics lecture. So if it is really necessary to have a pivot, (eg to portray universes like Babylon 5) please make it optional and not in the core rules.

One of the reasons I love Starmada and was able to play it with many gaming friends the last 15y was that it was made for casuals and movement/combat felt cinematically and dynamic like in a Star Wars or WW2 air combat movie and not dry like in 2010. (have you ever seen a pivot in a Star Wars movie?) smile

maxpax wrote

First, it will surely be an optional rule smile . Second, it's not difficult to say 'I move the ship this way, etc. and at the end of its move, I use some thrust to pivot that way'.

True, its not 'difficult' but along side all the other options it adds to the overall complexity and if you consider the dissuasion we've just had about solar sails all these move options are starting to add up.

Enpeze wrote:

(have you ever seen a pivot in a Star Wars movie?) smile

A movie where you hear starship moving and firing in space?  big_smile
Yes, I know, all space opera movies ignore that you can't hear anything in space. If they knew, the movie would have been dull... big_smile
Whatever, AFAIK, pivot exists in Starmada to simulate a difference between direction of move and direction of ship. The ship doesn't magically pivot, fire and 'unpivot'.

Marc

I remember that in Starmada"X" there were Overthrusters that could be installed on ships.  These were used after movement and seemed to be a sharp left or right turn; "hard-a-port! or "hard-a-starboard".  I installed it on all my ships.  The ship changed direction by one hex-side (60 degrees) and remained that way at the end of the turn. 8-)
Could this be an option in Starmada Nova Edition?

BeowulfJB wrote:

I remember that in Starmada"X" there were Overthrusters that could be installed on ships.  These were used after movement and seemed to be a sharp left or right turn; "hard-a-port! or "hard-a-starboard".  I installed it on all my ships.  The ship changed direction by one hex-side (60 degrees) and remained that way at the end of the turn. 8-)
Could this be an option in Starmada Nova Edition?

Starmada X? There are Overthrusters in AE (ISS & IRN). wink

Paul

I come back after having thought about armor. I thought it was a mean of protection that could be decided as you want, and not simply a translation of SAE armor plating, which will always lend to a fixed number of armor boxes, depending of the hull size. Too bad, I was envisionning some use of variable armor in order to translate starfire designs... smile

Marc

madpax wrote:

I come back after having thought about armor. I thought it was a mean of protection that could be decided as you want, and not simply a translation of SAE armor plating, which will always lend to a fixed number of armor boxes, depending of the hull size. Too bad, I was envisionning some use of variable armor in order to translate starfire designs... smile

A ship can have anywhere from 1 to 100 boxes of armor, so long as it has enough space units.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

madpax wrote:

Marc

Don't confused the "AE conversion rules" with what you can do from scratch in Nova.

-Tim

So there is a release plan? Great. When will the pdf-only version of Starmada Nova be available?

While it is somewhat late to do so, I would like to give my view on Pivots and OverThrusters. A ship can face any way that you like if it is not in motion. While the rules do not have to comply with the laws of physics; if they did so, then a ship in motion at a constant speed, applying no thrust, should also be able to face any way that they like. As to whether a ship that is applying Thrust to change its' motion should be able to Pivot, I do not much care. It probabably should not, at least in the interest of keeping the rules simple.
None of this helps players using ships from the Armada books. While it is not cited in any of the Armada books, the original source material does contain the rule that a ship must face its' direction of motion. It is true that players may agree to any House Rules that they wish, but if they are choosing to play in a specific Science Fiction background, they might as well comply with its' rules.

So am I the only one to notice this a week late?

http://www.mj12games.com/forum/viewtopi … amp;t=3630

Doesn't that mean it should be here now?   wink

Its out now for download, go get it!

Lots of awesome stuff in there Dan - need some time to digest it all.  I noticed you've added quite a few things that will make the Star Fleet adaptation more streamlined - which is a very good thing.

-Tim

I'll admit, I approached the game with a little trepidation - I'd noticed a number of issues with SAE that kept me from just adopting it as my go-to system for all occasions. Many of those issues have been addressed in this edition.

It took me a couple read-throughs to get my head wrapped around how things were going to work. And good lord, it's even mathier than before - Log to the base root one-half? - but with a nice table to keep you from needing your RPN calculator at your side while building ships.

And the drydock is nice, for trying out ideas. Being web-based, it's a little less interactive than I want it to be, but then I'm spoiled by the great spreadsheets we had for SAE in that regard.