Re: How about a new mech game

Go0gleplex wrote:

I'm also thinking I may need to break the weapons down into categories:
Energy
Ballistic
Missiles
Melee

I would make it Energy, Kinetic (for bullets, magnetic rounds, etc.) and Ballistic (for missiles).  This would keep it using common terms with the KEB variant for Starmada.

Jimmy

nimrodd wrote:
Go0gleplex wrote:

I'm also thinking I may need to break the weapons down into categories:
Energy
Ballistic
Missiles
Melee

I would make it Energy, Kinetic (for bullets, magnetic rounds, etc.) and Ballistic (for missiles).  This would keep it using common terms with the KEB variant for Starmada.

..and Melee.

Mecha can engage in Melee, Starmada doesn't have great huge hammers on the front of the ship. <ponders>

Should it? You could certainly more properly model BattleFleet Gothic...
:-)

The weapon system design rules are very very close to starmada (no Pen roll)  The damage mechanics will all be uniform, merely a differential in ROF capabilities.   Kinetic weapons fire singles, short bursts, and long bursts (1, 3, and 7 respectively).  Energy fires singles or short bursts.  Ballistic would fire singles, small salvo (4), large salvo (10).  Another option is to let Ballistics attack the hex rather than the mecha.   Either way this results in a LOT of possible hits.

I like the Kinetic vs Ballistic.  Thanks...I'll use that.  big_smile

Okay...the Star-Mecha v0.025 very rough draft zip file is posted under the Beta Rules of the MJXII Player Registry. 

Let me know if the zip file is buggered. :wink:

Go0gleplex wrote:

Okay...the Star-Mecha v0.025 very rough draft zip file is posted under the Beta Rules of the MJXII Player Registry. 

Let me know if the zip file is buggered. :wink:

IOW's - it's in the Files section - beta rules directory - of the Yahoo Group.

What format is this in? I could unzip it, but it's not a Works 3 or 4 file, though it has a WPS extension. Seems it ought to be a Wordperfect file with that extension but Word 97 doesn't recognize it as such. Of course, Microsoft doesn't recognize Linux as an operating system, but that's another kettle of fish....:-)

I'm at work, and Word 97 can 'recover text', but that's not very useful.

Can you save this as a RTF file? That's a pretty common file format, and almost every Word Processor in the world (of relatively recent vintage) can read it. I have Word 97 at work, MS Office (97?) and Open Office at home....

It was a MS works document. :?

Okay...the newer version has both the MS works doc. (v025) and an rtf version (v030) when you unzip it. 

Star-Mecha v0.030 is now posted and available.  It should be play testable using any BT style hex maps. (or smaller if you just want to use counters) big_smile

Big weapons take up lots of space, so you get lots of punch or lots of shots...Ballistic Weapons shoot farther than everything...Energy weapons are a close second.  Kinetics can shoot faster than both.

The weapon enhancements and frame enhancement tables are not exhaustive...just my ideas are for now.  lol   Suggestioned additions welcome.

Forgot to say anything about ranges and modifiers. d'OH!  ><

Essentially, it works exactly like Starmada does...divide the max range in hexes by 3, with short range being +1 to hit and long range being -1 to hit.

Weapon with range 9 would have range bands of 1-3 (short), 4-6 (med.), and 7-9 (long).

Also not quite happy with Ballistic (missiles) Base weapons.  I'm thinking of tying ROF into the number of tubes the weapon has.  Base is one tube per weapon with additional tubes available as enhancements.  So a 4 tube launcher could fire one 4 missile barrage once (without reloads) or fire 2 twice or 1 four times.   Sound okay?

Added armor should be moved from the armor section to the Frame Equipment List.

Shields ablate with hits per turn and reset if energy is available to them the next turn.  So if you have a mecha with Light Shields ( +2 Armor Bonus), then two hits knock them down for the remainder of that fire phase.  Next turn, as long as the mecha has energy enough, they reset to the +2.   Armor doesn't reset. wink

Movement points round down for quadruped mecha when figuring run points.

I'll post a couple sample mecha after work today.  With only MS works, no fancy Mecha Sheets from me.  :?

Looks good so far been playing around with the construction system, looks quite flexible got a few questions thou.

1) The base space mod is based on the type of leg the mech has right?
    so a size 4 Biped mech has 8 spaces
                   Quad  mech has  16 spaces
                   six leg mech has 24 spaces

2) Not to sure on the Siginatures I think they might do with some boosting otherwise a V. light or light mech is without shields or energy weapons will be hard to lock on, I made one based of the Jinn from gundam seed it would be only detectable on a roll of 1-2 which is bit low.

Faustus21 wrote:

Looks good so far been playing around with the construction system, looks quite flexible got a few questions thou.

1) The base space mod is based on the type of leg the mech has right?
    so a size 4 Biped mech has 8 spaces
                   Quad  mech has  16 spaces
                   six leg mech has 24 spaces

2) Not to sure on the Siginatures I think they might do with some boosting otherwise a V. light or light mech is without shields or energy weapons will be hard to lock on, I made one based of the Jinn from gundam seed it would be only detectable on a roll of 1-2 which is bit low.

1)  Yes, that would be the base values for a size 4 at present.

2)  Very Light or Light Mecha without shields or energy weapons are meant to be harder targets. Especially since one or two hits by a moderately sized weapon will pulverize them.  If an attacking Mecha has Enhanced Sensors, this should increase the lock on chance.  Also, remember you're rolling on a d10, so a 1 or 2 is a 10%-20% chance respectively. 

What stats did you come up with on the Jinn model, out of curiosity.  smile

:oops: It was Ginn, the base model

Lets see it was:

Bipedal Light Frame Size 4
Light MHD fuel Cell Power 2
Weapon
76mm Rifle
Range 6 Rof 3 Dam 1 Pow 2
Sword
Range 1 Rof 1 Dam 2 (Heavy weapon)
Armour 1
Move 8

But I think I might need to scale it up so I can do the assualt verison with the missle lanuchers.

Here's a couple Mecha I threw together as part of my test builds...

Mk II Frankenstein Mecha
Medium Bipedal  (size 6)    Movement Points: 6/9   Stability Mod: +0
                                       Thermal Signature: 9
Power Plant: Nuclear Pebble Reactor- Med. size
Armor: 3   Shields: +2 (Light)  EPC: 2      Total Armor/ Shield Rating: 5

Particle Pulsar- Left Shoulder Mounted
Range: 12   ROF: 3 (short burst)   DMG: 1   EPC: 7  (energy pt. cost)
                                                 Shield Resonant
7mm Railgun- Right Arm Mounted
Range: 9     ROF: 1 (single)   DMG: 2    EPC: 2
                                           Sniper Scope, Extra Ammo
Ammunition: 20 (turns able to fire)  OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO

Mecha Special Gear:
Superior Alloy
Arm x2 (left and right)
Arm Shield
Decoy Flares  OOOOO

Mk IV Gargoyle Mecha
Medium Quadruped  (size 6)    Movement Points: 6/7   Stability Mod: +1
                                             Thermal Signature: 7 (13 w/o Dampers)
Power Plant: Nuclear Pebble Reactor- Med. size
Armor: 5   Shields: +4 (Medium) EPC: 5      Total Armor/ Shield Rating: 9

Hellfire Missile Launcher (3 Tubes)- Right Shoulder Mounted
Range: 18   ROF: 1 shot per tube   DMG: 3   EPC: 5 
                                                       Multiple Warheads, Extra Tube x2
Ammunition: 1 per tube. (mark off each tube as fired) OOO

50mm Vulcan Railgun- Left Shoulder Mounted
Range: 9     ROF: 7 (long burst)   DMG: 2    EPC: 13
Ammunition: 10 (turns able to fire)  OOOOO OOOOO

Mecha Special Gear:
Aerial Modification- Partial Flight
Thermal Dampers EPC: 1
Added Armor x1
Anti-Missile System  EPC: 1
Smoke Dispenser  OOOOO OOOOO

Given the fact both are the same size, the quad has a lot more combat capability than the biped due to space modifiers.  This is going to need some fine tuning to bring them more into a comparable effectiveness.  :oops:  I'll be working on this for v0.35.

Well...after more tinkering and tweaking v0.40 is ready to go.

Modified space modifiers for mecha type (biped, quad, hex) to bring them more into balance with each other.

Added Armored vehicle design rules with specialized AV enhancements and Infantry squad types.

Added Melee weapon space modifiers and additional melee enhancements.

I'm going to wait on the Naval and Air stuff until this version has had a bit of digestion time with folks.  Point values are a ways off yet as is the background fluff.  In the meantime...happy hunting. :twisted:

replaced with update

It's a wonderful and sunny day here on the Oregon Coast at the 45th parallel.  big_smile

So...any ideas on what to officially dub the mecha combat rules :?:

Go0gleplex wrote:

It's a wonderful and sunny day here on the Oregon Coast at the 45th parallel.  big_smile

So...any ideas on what to officially dub the mecha combat rules :?:

A.P.E. Corps

(Armored Power Exoskeleton)

Looks good so far, I might have more to say/contribute once I've gotten some chores out of the way and a cup of tea down....

Well Hes my Ginn Mk2 model

ZGMF Ginn
Mass produced Line model
ZAFT (Zodiac Allinace of Freedom Treaty)

Medium Bipedal (size 6)
Movement 6/9
Thermal Signature: 4/12
Power Plant: Medium MHD Fuel Cell
Armour:

Weapons:
Ethier
MA-M3 heavy sword (Melee) (Stored on Hip, handheld in use)
Range: 1 ROF: 1 DMG: 2

Super Heavy
MMI-M8A3 76mm heavy assault machine gun (Kinetic)
Range: 6 ROF: Burst (3) DMG: 1 POW: 2

OR

M66 "Canus" short range guided missile launcher (Right Arm)
Range: 6 ROF 1 per tube DMG: 3 POW: 2
Exta tube x1

M66 "Canus" short range guided missile launcher (Left Arm)
Range: 6 ROF 1 per tube DMG: 3 POW: 2
Exta tube x1

2 x M68 "Pardus" 3-barrel missile launcher
Range: 6 ROF 1 per tube DMG: 2 POW: 1
Extra Tube x 2

2 x M68 "Pardus" 3-barrel missile launcher
Range: 6 ROF 1 per tube DMG: 2 POW: 1
Extra Tube x 2

MA-M3 heavy sword (Melee) (Stored on Hip, handheld in use)
Range: 1 ROF: 1 DMG: 2

Alright, question time...

What background had you in mind? There are a lot of them, but most would require licensing fees to use. I'd vote for a 'generic' background similiar to Starmada's initial release, if you plan on finishing this quickly.

As many may have noticed the rules come fairly quick, it's the CONTENT that's a bear...I'm in the middle of going over some maps for something I'm working on right now, and it's taking a lot longer to do than I'd like.

I'd go background-light right now (you need something, hence my question about what you had in mind), and get the rules done.

Rules....
I'd noticed you do exactly what I do, and start with construction rules.

Once this is finished, I'd put that in the back of the rules, after the 'default' mechs to avoid overwhelming those that favor those players with rules-light preferences....

I''ll skip the construction stuff, since it seems that at least one guy is able to decode it. I'd suggest coming up with a spreadsheet at some point. I thought about doing it myself, but my script-fu is really bad....

Mecha stability mods might bear some more looking into:

When required, a d10 is rolled to check mecha stability. This roll is subject to equipment modifiers and the following;
-1 per hit by enemy fire
-2 if pushed/ melee hit by enemy mecha

I'd double the push/melee penalty....

-2 if landing in forested terrain from flight mode
-3 if kicking enemy mecha/ armored vehicle or being flipped by enemy mecha.
-4 if rammed by enemy mecha

I'd double those last 2....

-5 if mecha stepped on land mine

..and I'd double this - I mean, a LAND MINE only cut my chance of landing okay in half?

You can add 'pilot skill' into this mix....and it's a MUST if you do campaigns. Not all pilots are cut from the same cloth...

Oh, I've got the Robotech themesong as a WAV file somewhere I think...

I'd decide that ALL lock-on mods are either to the roll or the signature. It's confusing the way you're alternating. I'd go for the dice roll, as that's the standard method I've seen used since my D&D days.

I do like the way you're using heat to denote signature, rather than breakdowns...

Attacker is using Indirect Fire weapon, ignore full cover -2 attacker roll

Um, I'd not use a modifier in this case, simply deprive the target of the 'cover bonus'...

I like the idea that physical attacks simply make weapons fire and stability an issue, and no significant damage is done.

I wouldn't degrade armor as it is hit. Shields, yes....Armor should be real heavy as a consequence.

Why can't Armored vehicles recieve flight mods? Now you need naval and submariner mods....:-) (I'm a former submariner)

LOVE the very basic 'infantry' units. Maybe a few more types or mods, but this is how I'd do it.

Great work, I may volunteer to do some art if Dan wants to publish....

..after all, I already have some mecha pix done....

Wow...had to think about all that for a bit. *chuckles*  :wink:

Background:  Definitely going to be a generic type context.  My thoughts are to provide only enough to be illustrative of the rules and flavor.  There isn't going to be a LOT of background.  I can't keep my mind on any one thing long enough to begin with *wry smile* and my day job has...errr...quite flexible hours.  (Like for the next few weeks I get to work double shifts rather than normal stuff...barring any emergency call outs) :roll:

Whenever I attempt rules or get a new game...construction rules are always where I start.  The mechanics of the entire game are rolled up into the construction IMO.  smile   And yes, the construction rules will follow the game mechanics in the final rules rendition. 

Spread sheet? what's that?  :wink:   I would try, but I don't have excel or such.  Just your off the shelf refurb computer package.

I'll look at the Stability Roll mods.  I had in mind a d10 base and not wanting things too impossible for rather standard occurences.  It's one of those things that really needs to be playtested through to establish a proportional feel for. :oops: 

Pilot skills....gunnery skills....I had been thinking of something along those lines, but more generically rated as Green, Regular, Vetern, Elite.  Advancement rules would be needed too in this instance.  Another thing I may be adding later once the basic framework is more firmly established.

I've got a LOT of anime here....Gasaraki, Robotech Macross, VanDread, Nadesico, Gundam Wing, Starblazers...errr...yeah.

Lock On rolls...took me a sec to catch on what you meant...and I see your point.  Definitely will fix this for conformity.

The Indirect Fire...I originally started to do a full cover bonus loss on this...but seemed funny letting someone essentially fire straight through a hill or what.  With no direct LOS and only sensor data to target with I felt a small bobble to hit was more realistic. 

Armor degradation-  Two part thought here.  Even Gundams with thier special alloy get shot to snot with enough fire.  Though if it makes things go too fast, this degradation may be decreased from every hit to 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 with the Superior Alloy enhancement adjusted correspondingly.

The other thought was keeping in mind BT combat and some other combat games that take forever to kill something because of the serious armor they have.  This is fine for one on ones or small squad type engagements, but really drags forever at the company level.  (was involved in one BT game over at Game Faire in Spokane early 90's where over 100 mechs were on the board....game took all day! *shudder*)

Considered armor flight mods, but then it's nothing much more than a heavily armored VTOL which I'll save more for the aircraft stuff.  Jump tanks also wouldn't be very attractive since their thermal signature would be a terminal pain and the cost of construction and maintenance...

Oh gads...I forgot to note that hover vehicles were limited to clear and water terrain, and grav unable to negotiate heavy forest.  At least without the help of an engineering vehicle.

Will definitely have Naval and Sub mods when I get to them.  Feel free to fire ideas for additional enhancements, squad types, or what.  My brain was running dry on ideas by the time I finished the v0.40 set. :?

Former Sub-Mariner, eh?  :twisted:  I guess I shouldn't mention I was USMC ROTC then....*chuckles*  Would have gone career but for a terminal bee sting allergy and in '84, that was a non-acceptance tag. :cry:

Faustus....looks pretty mean.  the 4/12 thermal sig is based on which variant you're using I assume?  Didn't note any special Mecha Equip...so figure you packed weapons in lieu of tricks.  :wink:

Glad you guys are liking this so far.  big_smile   Publish?!? You think it's that good? :shock:  :oops:   big_smile

Okay, i've got to say it.

Has anyone posting here even looked at Assault Corps lately?

I realize different is different, and there is no monopoly on company-sized armored/ mecha wargaming, but for pete's sake, AC is NEARLY done...after more than 4 years of development.

Please, someone just tell me if there is 0 interest, and i'll put it out of its misery, at least for my part, and move on.

JP

Hey Justin...errr...I just threw this stuff together mainly as a mecha focused game...something fast, furious, and carnage ridden with only enough realism to keep it honest.  There wasn't any intent to push anything aside or any expectations that this would be more than a set of beer and pretzels rules.  :oops:   

I think your Assault Corps is a lot more detailed and at a level or five up from all that this is so by all means...do not drop it.   big_smile

Go0gleplex wrote:

Hey Justin...errr...I just threw this stuff together mainly as a mecha focused game...something fast, furious, and carnage ridden with only enough realism to keep it honest.  There wasn't any intent to push anything aside or any expectations that this would be more than a set of beer and pretzels rules.  :oops:   

I think your Assault Corps is a lot more detailed and at a level or five up from all that this is so by all means...do not drop it.   big_smile

Well, I don't mean to be over defensive.  I can well understand your enthusiasm.

This is how Assault Corps started out...before it even had a name.

I'm always a bit of a realism-nazi, but I still think AC is fast and playable, (mainly through Dan's efforts to reel in my more nitty gritty tendancies.)

What I'm really saying though, is 'Is there any interest for AC?'

If people want a simpler beer and pretzel game, then all the power to everyone involved.  But is AC going to get any support.  So far, no one has got back to me with a single playtest example since the latest update late summer.

I, personally, have played many many dozens of full games, with various people.  But sadly I'm getting little feedback from the MJ12 community, so I can't help but wonder if AC really is worth continuing, aside from my own enjoyment.

Either way, I just wanted to make sure you guys had SEEN the AC system, so that you'd know what its capable of...and maybe save a bit of re-inventing.

smile

Good luck on the game!

JP

Justin Crough wrote:

Actually, to be technically accurate, AC did not start out as a Starmada mod -- although this road has been tread before. AC started from a combination of two ideas I had: (1) using dice to simulate different sizes of vehicle, and (2) using the "half-die size plus armor" mechanic for to-hit rolls. The latter ended up getting jettisoned from AC since it didn't reflect the high accuracy of modern/sci-fi weapons, but did manage to show up in For the Masses and Iron Stars. The former, to my knowledge, has never been used anywhere...

I'm always a bit of a realism-nazi, but I still think AC is fast and playable, (mainly through Dan's efforts to reel in my more nitty gritty tendancies.)

I do what I can. I seem to reeling in a lot of people lately... wink

So far, no one has got back to me with a single playtest example since the latest update late summer.

Should I mention how many of MJ12's games were playtested to any significant degree by anyone outside the designer and his immediate circle?

A quick look at the forum stats puts the AC board just behind Starmada, Defiance, and Iron Stars; I'd say that qualifies as "interest" (much more so than a published game like, oh, I dunno, The Grid. smile )

So -- consider this an official request to keep working on AC.

At the same time, please continue the Starmecha thing as well... no reason to squelch one for the other. Frankly, there's been too much of the "Hey, why don't we use X to do Y?" lately ... half the fun of gaming is whipping up (and reading) new sets of mechanics. How many of us reguarly play more than a fraction of the games we own?

Besides, if I said one of you has to stop 'cause we can't have two somewhat similar games, Iron Stars would have ended up a Starmada clone. And Demian would have seen Defiance/Starslayer reduced to an ARES sci-fi mod.

What I would suggest, however, is that the Starmecha crowd give some serious thought to 'flavor' -- AC is very deliberately a generic game and would not benefit from such (just like Starmada or ARES). But other games (like Iron Stars or Defiance) can benefit a great deal from a solid background.

Just my $.02.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I can go either road with the background, though I'll probably need some kick starting type feedback to keep my brain running in that direction.  This was definitely a "HEY! I GOT AN IDEA! wonder if this works...>scribble scribble scribble<"  Like my draft says...since Star-Mecha flows so much from the IS and Starmada type mechanics...IMO it already belongs to MJXII and if it sees no distribution beyond posts my feelings aren't going to be damaged any.  big_smile   It's just the mini-making and writing are the only form of gaming I get to indulge in. *sigh*

Don't feel bad Justin...at least you get to play your game. *wry smile*  I've not been able to play much of anything since I moved here 5 years back. (think retired surfer/ flower child population with the tactical ability of a banana...come to think of it...the banana could probably kick their butts too. :shock: )  *L*

Go0gleplex wrote:

Don't feel bad Justin...at least you get to play your game. *wry smile*  I've not been able to play much of anything since I moved here 5 years back. (think retired surfer/ flower child population with the tactical ability of a banana...come to think of it...the banana could probably kick their butts too. :shock: )  *L*

Funny.

I'm lucky.  Most of the people I play with are soldiers.

But that's only lucky if you enjoy losing as often as you win.

:?

JP

cricket wrote:
Justin Crough wrote:

cricket wrote:

The latter . . . did manage to show up in For the Masses and Iron Stars. The former, to my knowledge, has never been used anywhere...

and a damn fine mechanic that is smile

cricket wrote:

So far, no one has got back to me with a single playtest example since the latest update late summer.

Should I mention how many of MJ12's games were playtested to any significant degree by anyone outside the designer and his immediate circle?

No, Dan, you can't smile

And, JP, welcome to "Club-I-can't-get-anyone-to-playtest-my-damn-game-no-matter-what-I-offer-them"

Take it to conventions and grab anyone who'll play.  That's one way to do it. that adds a year to the development cycle, but you get a better game out of it.

Seriously, I have interest in AC, it's just a time factor.  I'd love to put in my opinions, but I can't, given that I've only read the rules and I don't have the required minis. I will fix that though, now that I can stop thinking about World War One :wink:

jim

>
>
> Justin Crough wrote:
>
> This is how Assault Corps started out...before it even had a name.
>
> (end of quote)
>
>
> Actually, to be technically accurate, AC did not start out as a Starmada
> mod -- although this road has been tread before. AC started from a
> combination of two ideas I had: (1) using dice to simulate different sizes
> of vehicle, and (2) using the "half-die size plus armor" mechanic for
> to-hit rolls. The latter ended up getting jettisoned from AC since it
> didn't reflect the high accuracy of modern/sci-fi weapons, but did manage
> to show up in For the Masses and Iron Stars. The former, to my knowledge,
> has never been used anywhere...

Okay, to be even more accurate about what I was referring to.  (In order to
be completely Anl Retentive)  Assault Corps may have begun from your two
mentioned concepts, BUT you only voiced (put into type) those two concepts
after TWO separate incidents, spaced roughly 11 months apart, where people
suggested using the Starmada game system to make a ground combat game.  THAT
prompted the infamous 'Unnamed Ground Combat Game' ...which files I still
have.

In that respect, this Star-mecha game is starting out in a similar fashion.
I was having a bit of deja vu , is all.

smile

>
>
> Should I mention how many of MJ12's games were playtested to any
> significant degree by anyone outside the designer and his immediate
> circle?
>
> A quick look at the forum stats puts the AC board just behind Starmada,
> Defiance, and Iron Stars; I'd say that qualifies as "interest" (much more
> so than a published game like, oh, I dunno, The Grid. smile )

Well, its just that before I had a playable version, then it seems Iwas
being hounded by people who wanted to play it, relentlessly, and
then....crickets.

No pun intended.

>
> So -- consider this an official request to keep working on AC.

Well...it really is almost done...as far as my part is concerned.  Within
the next couple weeks I'll be presenting it to my company commander.
Apparently he's an old wargamer, with a fairly sizeable set of microarmor,
which I only discovered recently. I've managed to convince him to try it out
sometime soon.  His verdict and suggestions will mean a lot to me.

>
> At the same time, please continue the Starmecha thing as well... no reason
> to squelch one for the other. Frankly, there's been too much of the "Hey,
> why don't we use X to do Y?" lately ... half the fun of gaming is whipping
> up (and reading) new sets of mechanics. How many of us reguarly play more
> than a fraction of the games we own?

As per Kevin's suggestion, I'd suggest Star Mecha focus on the detail of
piloting and running a big mech, or a few of them.  This is something AC
doesn't focus on, in favor of being able to pit several dozen per side, plus
light vehicle, fast air and infantry support.

>
> Besides, if I said one of you has to stop 'cause we can't have two
> somewhat similar games, Iron Stars would have ended up a Starmada clone.
> And Demian would have seen Defiance/Starslayer reduced to an ARES sci-fi
> mod.

Understood.

JP