Re: Does this...

jimbeau wrote:

Let's play the black sox years (duck)

Okay... there was ONE Black Sox year (1919), and I was tempted to include them anyway. tongue

But my formula says the 1916 team was the best (odd, considering they came in second in the AL). Weird...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

So, how's this work?

Pitcher rolls a d10 - consult side bar

Batter rolls a d10 - consult top bar

Cross reference rolls - result is given ..???

SO - strikeout
GO - Ground Out
...???
..rest is simple book-keeping.

Methinks this could be used for other stuff besides baseball.

68 Cardinals were pretty awesome, so that looks right for my team.

Nothing useful to contribute, I keep clicking the wrong link....

grrrr....

..and yes, I'm working on the Spanish....
big_smile

cricket wrote:
jimbeau wrote:

Let's play the black sox years (duck)

Okay... there was ONE Black Sox year (1919), and I was tempted to include them anyway. tongue

But my formula says the 1916 team was the best (odd, considering they came in second in the AL). Weird...

Sorry.

Picky picky picky.

BTW, any provision for creating make-believe players rather than historical ones?

cricket wrote:

1958 Atlanta Braves

In '58 it would be the Milwaukee Braves. 1953-1965
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nl/mil … raves.html
They moved to Atlanta in 1966. :wink:

Your list works for me.

bekosh wrote:

Indeed. And the 1994 Washington Nationals were actually the Montreal Expos. I was just trying to find an example team for each extant franchise, regardless of what they were called back then.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Taltos wrote:

BTW, any provision for creating make-believe players rather than historical ones?

Not at the moment, but given any set of stats, I can generate a player card.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:
bekosh wrote:

Indeed. And the 1994 Washington Nationals were actually the Montreal Expos. I was just trying to find an example team for each extant franchise, regardless of what they were called back then.

Ahh. :oops: That makes sense.

Not to rain on any parades....

but isn't there a licensing issue here related to any historical MLB teams?
I know this is something they tend to protect pretty closely.

Taltos wrote:

This would be what is termed a "Grey Area".

smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Use the stats...change the names slightly. no more issue. :wink:  maybe.

Anything new on this project?

ToddW wrote:

Anything new on this project?

Sadly, no.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

In celebration of Opening Day, I present:

http://www.mj12games.com/wagner1902.png

Why is there a need for another baseball card/board game? Simple...

1) This one's by MJ12! smile

2) All player stats have been adjusted to the modern era (and for park effects) -- e.g., Babe Ruth hit the equivalent of 107 home runs in 1927!

3) Realistic batter/pitcher interaction.

4) Fielder ratings have an effect on each ball put into play. Oh, and fielder ratings are adjusted based on era and pitching staff.

5) "Salary" values are included for easy campaign-style play (average batter = $100).

6) Cards can be created for every team since 1893.

7) Nine different pitcher values for each of four categories -- that's 6,561 possible pitcher grades!

8> Fast, simple, but statistically-accurate game mechanics.

9) It's by MJ12! smile

So, I need playtesters... if you're interested, send an e-mail to cricket@mj12games.com and let me know which two teams you'd like statted up.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

E-mail sent.

cricket wrote:
Taltos wrote:

This would be what is termed a "Grey Area".

smile

If a problem, there is the "Hardball Solution"; change allthe names of the teams and the players, but keep the stats. Cheesy but from what I understand effective. You probably can't use any of the MLD awards either.

cricket wrote:

So, I need playtesters... if you're interested, send an e-mail to cricket@mj12games.com and let me know which two teams you'd like statted up.

Mail sent. I want the 1996 NY Yankees, and the 1996 Atlanta Braves. In addition to be a somewhat interesting matchup, it also matches the sample cards for "Guru's Baseball Game", so I can compare side-by-side.

bobslaughter wrote:

Mail sent. I want the 1996 NY Yankees, and the 1996 Atlanta Braves. In addition to be a somewhat interesting matchup, it also matches the sample cards for "Guru's Baseball Game", so I can compare side-by-side.

Got your e-mail -- cards and instructions should get to you shortly.

Remember that the stats have been "adjusted" to a modern context, so even in a relatively contemporary season like 1996, the values will be somewhat different than in reality.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

bobslaughter wrote:

If a problem, there is the "Hardball Solution"; change allthe names of the teams and the players, but keep the stats. Cheesy but from what I understand effective. You probably can't use any of the MLD awards either.

I'm no expert or lawyer, but I do know that stats are not protected (see NBA v. Motorola, 1997). Keeping this fact in mind, and noting which sports-themed games are "licensed" (computer games, the MLB clicky-game) and which are not (APBA, Replay, Baseball Classics, other board/card games), my best guess is that the sticking point is in using players' likenesses...

As this game won't, I don't think it will be an issue.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:
bobslaughter wrote:

I'm no expert or lawyer, but I do know that stats are not protected (see NBA v. Motorola, 1997). Keeping this fact in mind, and noting which sports-themed games are "licensed" (computer games, the MLB clicky-game) and which are not (APBA, Replay, Baseball Classics, other board/card games), my best guess is that the sticking point is in using players' likenesses...

As this game won't, I don't think it will be an issue.

Heh, I've got Poser....?
big_smile