Topic: Flight Group Sheet Creator - UPDATED WITH NEW VERSION

All:

Had a moment to fiddle in Excel today, and created the attached.  Let me know what you think.  Each of the 4 plane cards on the aircraft sheet tab can be selected independently, by clicking on the grey bar name field and selecting the short name from the drop down menu.

Hope you find it useful.  Now all I need is more planes to enter into the aircraft data sheet (hint hint).

Doug
(whose forte is obviously not subtlety)

<<>>

Re: Flight Group Sheet Creator - UPDATED WITH NEW VERSION

elsyr wrote:

Had a moment to fiddle in Excel today, and created the attached.  Let me know what you think.

Nice work... although I don't know what I think about having all the plane data out there and available to any and all, even those who haven't bought the rulebook.

As far as more plane data goes, patience will be rewarded. smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Nice work... although I don't know what I think about having all the plane data out there and available to any and all, even those who haven't bought the rulebook.!

Ack!  You know, I hadn't even thought about that.  Sorry!  :oops:

I guess I just assumed (and we all know how dangerous that is) that the folks reading the forum would be purchasers.  Feel free to yank the file, or to knock it back to a couple of planes - or if you like I can do it and repost a stripped down version of it.  It won't take long for people with the rulebook to enter the data themselves.

Doug
(who's now trying to figure out how to make excel do a conditional object embed so that when a plane is selected, the appropriate picture appears on its card)

elsyr wrote:

(who's now trying to figure out how to make excel do a conditional object embed so that when a plane is selected, the appropriate picture appears on its card)

Lemme know if/when you work that one out...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

sounds like it's time to break out the VBA and write a macro. Of course where you're going to store all those images is beyond me.

That might make the spread sheet a little big smile

and are there copyright issues associated with that?

jimbeau wrote:

sounds like it's time to break out the VBA and write a macro. Of course where you're going to store all those images is beyond me.

Heh.. and I gave up doing a spreadsheet for SFO, because I didn't feel like figuring out how to do lookup tables....

jimbeau wrote:

That might make the spread sheet a little big smile

Yep...

jimbeau wrote:

and are there copyright issues associated with that?

That's up to Dan, I'd ask it not be if I were him. <shrug>

What mean by Copyright issues is that the pictures used may (and probably are) copyrighted

The images are almost certainly copyrighted, but if the spreadsheet is for my own personal, non-commercial use, I don't see much of a problem with it.  Oh, and yes - a tab full of jpg images would definitely make it a BIG excel file - but it sure would be cool.   smile   

Doug

p.s.

I've reuploaded the file, with only the data for the two French planes populated.

jimbeau wrote:

What mean by Copyright issues is that the pictures used may (and probably are) copyrighted

..the original pix by Dan are covered under copyright to him as the artist.

..any pictures that are actually photographs are copyrighted to the photograper

...anyone that owns a copyright (and you do the moment you create it) may release it to public domain at any time, or through specific action to a named party. Failure to defend it usually results in it being considered public domain.

That's my understanding of how copyrights work.

thedugan wrote:

That's my understanding of how copyrights work.

Your understanding is correct. For obvious reasons, I would hope that no one uses the graphics from Spitting Fire in anything that is going to be distributed, even freely.

However, there are plenty of non-copyrighted images of most of the planes -- check commons.wikimedia.org to start... it's where I got the cover pic for the rulebook.

Regarding the spreadsheet, I'd feel better if it were distributed sans data... that way, those who own the game can enter in the values relatively easily, and it's still a useful tool. Please note that "feel better" does not translate to "condone or endorse"... smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Well, the good news is that I found a way to make the picture thing work (google is your friend big_smile ).  This evening, I'll put the pics into the excel file and reupload a version with pictures, but with all of the stats for the planes dummied to 1s or 0s or somesuch. 

Dan - you don't mind if the list of planes included remains intact, do you?

Doug

elsyr wrote:

Dan - you don't mind if the list of planes included remains intact, do you?

Nope. Although to be safe, you might want to send me the file before you post it again.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Wilco.  I'll send you the file in its entirety in the morning (I forgot I don't have WinZip here at home, and it's half a mb with the pics), and you can clear it down to whatever you think would be good for public consumption.

Doug

Dan - did you get the file?  Just wanted to check.

Doug

Nope... no file. :?:

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

That's odd.  Can you shoot me an email to make sure the address is right.  I'm at elsyr AT comcast DOT net.

Doug

That's odd.  Can you shoot me an email to make sure the address is right.  I'm at elsyr AT comcast DOT net.

Doug

Here's the new version, with pictures and no data.  It should not take long for those with the rules to input the plane data into the second tab. One word of caution - if you add planes, it's best to do so by inserting blank rows in the data and picture tabs, editing of the name/sequence formulae on the picture tab in the inserted rows will be required, and it is imperative that the sequence of planes on all tabs be the same.

Have fun!
Doug