Re: IS Austrian Ships released

steve @ brigade wrote:

Yep, the Austrian Sternmarine has finally arrived.... tongue

Three vessels to start with plus a flotilla pack of a cruiser and two
destroyers.

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Frames/I … rians.html

Thanks

Steve

Hey as Austrian myself I can say that I like these models alot. They look great.

Just one thing: The name "Austrian Sternmarine" is not quite a good sounding choice for german native speakers. I would rather call it "Österreich-Ungarische Raumflotte" or the "Österreich-Ungarische Raummarine" or the "Kaiserliche Weltraumflotte". (just an idea smile)

A second question: Does this austrian battleship really has the name "Ersatz Monarch"? (replacement monarch?)

Well, I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about German other than what Babelfish tells me. wink

What specifically about Sternmarine doesn't work?

Also, Ersatz Monarch was the proposed name for an improved version of the Tegetthoff-class BB that was never built.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

Well, I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about German other than what Babelfish tells me. wink

Ah the bubblefish syndrom. smile Now I understand. Its funny to have games with odd sounding german names in it - I remember mentioning the "Pfaffbeschleuniger" which resulted in a good lough at our local gaming group. But if you like I can take a look on your future german names and help you to have them sound good if necessary.

cricket wrote:

What specifically about Sternmarine doesn't work?

Sternmarine is from the german gramatics PoV not quite correct. Correct would be Sternenmarine. (with an "en" after stern). And even this sounds a little bit odd so a german/austrian would probably replace the word with other words like Weltraumflotte, or Raumflotte.

cricket wrote:

Also, Ersatz Monarch was the proposed name for an improved version of the Tegetthoff-class BB that was never built.

Ah good old Admiral Tegetthoff - my favorite national hero. My appartement in Vienna is located some hundred yards near the big 60 ft. Vienna Tegetthoff monument from 1886.

Sorry for the years late reply on this thread, but I was browsing through old threads and noticed this.  This is actually incorrect- the project name for the new class was 'Ersatz Monarch' which literally means 'replacement Monarch'.  It had this name since it was intended for the old 'Monarch' class to be replaced by these ships.  No ship in the class would have actually carried this name- it would be like naming a ship 'Replacement Washington' or 'Replacement Nimitz'.  The class would have been renamed once the name of the first unit was decided upon.  One of the few things in Merchant War that really bothers me, now that I've learned about it.  wink

-Will