Topic: Reaper Paints :D

Gotta love them.

My first few Aeronefs are going to be my red-head stepkids.  You can tell what they're supposed to be, and sure, they follow the suggested color schemes.  But using Vallejo paints and some small bottles of hobby paint picked up at a local store just weren't cutting it.  They were runny and didn't apply very well.

But since then I've chucked all that in favor of investing some $$ in a ton of Reaper products, and now my stuff is something I want to show off  8) ....particularly my German fleet and the last few Brits (RNAS Albion with some painted aeroplanes perched on her flight deck is a particularly favorite right now).

Gotta go get a decent digital camera. 

What do other folks use, though?

Re: Reaper Paints :D

Been using Citadel paints...but they dry out so fast I recently invested in the Foundry collection.  Haven't had a chance to use them yet since all my stuff is packed away still. sad

Best paints I've ever used were the Armory Floquil paints back in the late 80's early 90's.

I'm cheap. I use Apple Barrel or Folk Art brand craft paints, $.40-$.80 for a 2 oz bottle, over Rust-oleum Clean Metal Primer.
Good coverage with a brush in 2 coats and just a gazillion colors. :shock:

bekosh wrote:

I'm cheap. I use Apple Barrel or Folk Art brand craft paints, $.40-$.80 for a 2 oz bottle, over Rust-oleum Clean Metal Primer.
Good coverage with a brush in 2 coats and just a gazillion colors. :shock:

I'm with you, although I will use Reaper and GW for metallics and inks.  Craft store paint is fine for most stuff, but their metal colors suck and they don't have the pigment density to do washes well.

Rich

Umm, not painting any Aeronefs, but having used Citadel (all three? generations) Vallejo Model Colour (VMC), and Partha Paints (old formulation), I am now a big, big fan of Reaper Master Series Paints (aka RMS or more correctly MSP).

MSPs are just freakin' beautiful for washes, glazes, and layering, and (unlike some) I like the triads. If you use them right they also make a very smooth drybrush. Word of warning though: they're more transparent than VMC. Working up from black therefor is a bit more involved (it still works, it just works DIFFERENT). However if you thin them a little and paint over white primer you get a really great result.

For more info have a look at http://www.reapermini.com/forum/

I hang out there a lot and try not to be taken entirely for a Defiance pimp. Which I am.

All I know right now is that the other stuff was just too runny.  The Reaper stuff is easier for me to handle.  I just got done last night painting up some German torpedo nefs, teeny little suckers, and they came out looking cleaner than I hoped.  Took some squinting to get the German tri-color on the sides of their tail fins  smile