Topic: An open letter to Matt Irski

Check it out! look at www.gamesquad.com for a review of Iron Stars

But, they also have an interesting article about wargaming and where it's headed. (yes, I do occasionally read). Matt Irski provides us a laundry list of reasons why wargaming sucks now more than it has ever sucked before. Interpret the following as you will, but I truly love gaming and I like meeting gamers from all over the country. And some of Irski's points almost make some sense. However, the article never quite pulls itself out of the quagmire and never truly makes a point, near as I can tell. So with that said, I rebut.

Many of the reasons he gives are old-rehashed whinges about how nobody plays to learn anymore and complaints about skater dudes picking up clickies at the local walmart and expecting to be able to play games without a lot of complicated rules and without a lot of time investment. To that I say pshaw! if he's gonna bitch about something bitch about how impossible it is for an indie company to truly support it's designers and how a billion dollar industry can be ruled by a few major companies. Gone are the mom and pop Game Designer's Workshops and rules written for the sake of the game (okay that's lame, but I needed something to balance the GDW reference.)

At any rate, one particular piece of drivel that Irski sets forth in his tirade against kids who are cool and yet who play games is this moronic quote regarding the clickies and some "new" genres. "These are niche periods at best and some, like VSF or Pirates, are little more than fads. Despite all the hype, these periods will never be as popular as WW2 or Ancients". This is in an o'zine that has a decent review of Iron Stars. I guess Irski and Voysey didn't talk before publishing their separate articles. VSF is a fad, but the Iron Stars brand is one of our best-sellers? I mean, I guess if it is a fad, I'll throw out my copy of Space: 1889, too.

If, and in this case, I'm using the vernacular "If", the most popular game genres are ancients and WW2, why can I only find one or two games of WW2 (using the same rules) at the conventions I go to? Why is the most popular set of ancients rules lambasted by it's players for being impossible to comprehend in a single read? (It's not, by the way, we "got it" first time through.) Whereas, there are hundreds of 8-14 year olds playing impromptu games of yugi-oh, and clickie-flavor-of-the-month. Try picking up an impromptu game of nappies and see how far you get before your next game starts.

Moreover, Irzi pontificates from atop his own his higher-than-thou Désirée "They then ask if there is a watered-down version of Waterloo where they can just paint a handful of figs….Guess what? Doing something right takes time. Regrettably, the current generation of gamers just cannot be bothered about painting large armies. Here's a suggestion; turn off your Playstation, quit watching the same anime episodes over and over, and sit down for an hour a night and paint some figs."

Well, guess what Matt? Some of us do; and I haven't played playstation for months. If I wasn't working 50 hours a week for the last three months trying to deliver software to 1200 people, I might have gotten more done.

Now I have to apologize, Nappies isn't my genre, so I don't know as much as some people about Waterloo, etc. so keep that in mind on this next bit.

My counter-point is this, Waterloo wasn't fought by armies of 30,000 men, it was fought by armies of 30,000 men. Why not take a walk outside the norm and play a Nappy skirmish game? I'm sure there were times during the battles where some units started running around like idiots scared out of their wits. Take a couple of squads of nappies and play "find the frenchman" with a unit of prussians in some village somewhere.

Finally, Irzi pushes my big red RANT button with "The big problem is that gamers are gaming for the sake of gaming. It's become just one more way to kill time between taking the kids to soccer games and having lunch with the wife/girlfriend. What has become of the days of hobbyists investing some time and artistic talent in the hobby? What has become of the gamer who participated in such martial fare not just for the opportunity to kill things, but to obtain a deeper insight into military history?"

Let's break that down shall we kids, it's so full of bloated goodness that it bears some deeper detailed analysis.

1) "Gamers playing for the sake of gaming". Dude, it's just a game. If I want Compte de Lobau to cast a fireball, you better roll your save. I personally thought I was PLAYING a GAME. But maybe I'm being ludicrous, thinking that. If I had to build an historical case for why Orcs had a precedent for fast advance and thus move 5 hexes per turn, and why the Grimmpule historically had a lot of magic users in battle, I'd never get to play!

I'm not gonna touch the kids/soccer/lunch thing, that's just stupid.

2) "What has become of the days of hobbyists investing some time and artistic talent in the hobby". Well, here ya go...

http://mj12games.com/aces/
      http://mj12games.com/ares/
      http://mj12games.com/defiance (Origins nominee, btw)
      http://mj12games.com/ftm/
      http://mj12games.com/grandfleets/
      http://mj12games.com/grid/
      http://mj12games.com/ironstars/
      http://mj12games.com/powersleds/
      http://mj12games.com/sov_stars/
      http://mj12games.com/spitfire/
      http://mj12games.com/starmada/

3) And "What has become of the gamer who participated in such martial fare not just for the opportunity to kill things, but to obtain a deeper insight into military history?"

He stopped bathing in 1972.

Re: An open letter to Matt Irski

Personally I think the 'clickie' rules are a piece of crap and the figures aren't far behind.  The fact that these have become popular just indicates a laziness to buy pre-painted figs on one hand. On the other it does provide figs for those who feel they don't have the skills needed or time to put into painting mini's. I'll concede that they do have a valid point.

I really agree with the points you're raising about playing a game and maybe a lot of folks don't much care for areas outside their favored genres.  Me...i'm a sci-fi/space wargamer.  I also don't much care for a game with so many rules I need two or three notebooks to play it. So the history behind the Nappies and such is pretty meaningless to me.  If you like this...then more power to you.  But the beauty of wargaming is that it evolves, advances, and adapts as desired...so being told that I have to justify my gaming in order for it to be valid gaming is somewhat nuts, if not mildly offensive.  Truth is 90% perception and 10% fact...and the article seems to have been written from the perception end of the spectrum rather than the 10% where most opinions overlap.

The only thing to me that is disappointing with Iron Stars and some other games I enjoy...and that may make it seem as if its nothing more than a fad, is the lack of miniatures for it.  To some I'm sure that if the game is a wargame, yet lacks mini's then it can't possibly be expected to survive.  That's just silly...it may become less mainstream, but as long as the players are there to enjoy it and encourage its growth no game should be considered merely a fad. Calling a game such is not only detrimental from an advertising position but sends entirely the wrong message to the player base.

Anyway...that's my two cents on the issue.

jimbeau wrote:

Finally, Irzi pushes my big red RANT button with "The big problem is that gamers are gaming for the sake of gaming. It's become just one more way to kill time between taking the kids to soccer games and having lunch with the wife/girlfriend. What has become of the days of hobbyists investing some time and artistic talent in the hobby? What has become of the gamer who participated in such martial fare not just for the opportunity to kill things, but to obtain a deeper insight into military history?"

Now Jim, remember... EVERYTHING was better in the old days. Cars, music, computers -- alright, maybe not computers. smile

Oh, wait... I've been gaming since the "old days" (at least the mid-80s, which I've always thought of as the heyday of wargaming) -- and I've always gamed for the sake of gaming; even when I was painting minis, I was gaming.

Sounds like Mr. Iski ? needs a bubble bath and a chill pill.

3) And "What has become of the gamer who participated in such martial fare not just for the opportunity to kill things, but to obtain a deeper insight into military history?"

He stopped bathing in 1972.

LOL!!!

Biggest laugh I've had in months... big_smile

Go to Origins, Jim. Have fun, represent MJ12 ... and game for the sake of gaming, goshdurnit!

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

go0gleplex wrote:

Personally I think the 'clickie' rules are a piece of Carp and the figures aren't far behind.  The fact that these have become popular just indicates a laziness to buy pre-painted figs on one hand. On the other it does provide figs for those who feel they don't have the skills needed or time to put into painting mini's. I'll concede that they do have a valid point.

I'll disagree with you an a couple of points here.
While the clicky figures themselves may be average at best, I believe the clicky base has been one of the more ingenious miniatures "inventions" over the last five or six years. I also believe that the clicky games have generated a lot of interest in wargaming from players who might not otherwise have shown any wargaming interest.
As for prepainted figs... I absofrigginlutely love them. I've been playing wargames since the early seventies, and if you count the Milton Bradley American Heritage Series (which I still own all of), since the mid-sixties.
I've also been involved miniatures gaming since the late eighties. That being said, I view myself as a gamer and not a painter. I couldn't care less if I never painted another model again. Does that make me lazy?
Not in my opinion.
I'd simply rather not spend my time doing something I don't really like doing.
I'd rather play the game than spend any time painting.
So pre-painted figs, to me, are...
Mui Bueno.
big_smile
Kevin
PS: Oh, and Dan, the mid to late seventies were the hey day of wargaming. NOT the mid eighties. At least, that's how *I* remember it.

Ok... this one tends to be a heated subject...

Painting... not a lot of people enjoy it, so the pre-painted figs are great. Me personally, I like to scratch-build all of my figs...... different things for different people.  Historical games.... um, let's see..... if I remember right, didn't the French LOSE Waterloo?  Ok, so what next... you recreate a battle, with the exact same army and replay the exact same moves.... Um and what? Imagine this, you get the same results, which may amuse our esteemed author who has been spoken of above.. but tends to bore the living daylights out of me.  What happens if due to a fluke of die rolling, the French win? A very few of the players that I have known who play Nappies (and yes, I tried it, until the rules lawyers, and history lawyers got into the third argument in as many turns) would freak..... between the THAT CAN"T HAPPEN crowd, and the WE NEED TO FIX THE RULES TO KEEP IT ACURATE crowd.... there is no real reason to play.

I play Starmada for the fact that it is NOT a historical game. There is no pre-set winner.... no one side that is known historically to have won this engagement....ect. When I and my friends sit down, we know that the rules and fleets are not pre-disposed for one side to win.... I'm allowed to actually think... not follow a pre-set battle plan. Of course... if you are playing the French at Waterloo... why would you bother to put your figs on the table...... your battle plan is flawed, you are not allowed to change it (might upset the history lawyers), nor are you allowed to think (might upset the rules lawyers).

Maybe our esteemed (or should we say, ignorant) author above, should attempt an original thought.... it might actually surprise him. As for the rest of us, if you ever happen to be in my neck of the woods, bring a fleet..... and we'll see how we do....LOL. I don't care if they are pre-painted, paper markers, or leggos with designations scratched into them..... I say, let's have some fun, get to know each other as friends, and have a cold one when we are done.

John

Sorry about the double post....

The heyday of Wargaming started in the 70's.... and we are still in it, there are new technologies coming out (the unique flying bases from With Hostile Intent), and new rules and ideas are coming out all the time.

I don't even think we have hit the peak yet..... but it is one awesome climb.

John

Hehehe....yup. early 70's...:)  First wargame other than RISK was a game of Micro armor...and I had a platoon of Greyhounds. Actually killed a Tiger I before the second one backed over my unit.  lol

Hey Kevin...if you got the skills and still like the pre-painted as a preference...then yup. you be lay Z or stuck without a work area wink  Only reason I even bought the pre-painted stuff is cause noob gamers can't bust them up as easy and my blood pressure doesn't go critical mass when they do manage it.  :roll:  tongue   honestly though...if the pre-painted stuff was actually done with anything resembling talent or more than a 12 color palette...I may have a different opinion of them.  But the paint jobs even suck along with the quality of the mini too.  Guess I'm just picky in that spectrum of things.  big_smile

While the clicky base is fine for the game they're built for...all in all they're still junk IMO. smile  And I've been painting since the early 70's too. (Friday last was my 41st... :? )

cricket wrote:

Now Jim, remember... EVERYTHING was better in the old days. Cars, music, computers -- alright, maybe not computers. smile

and the hair too!

Sounds like Mr. Iski ? needs a bubble bath and a chill pill.

Go to Origins, Jim. Have fun, represent MJ12 ... and game for the sake of gaming, goshdurnit!

Actually, I'm going to try out a Napoleonic ruleset this year, I hear the historicals are the most popular games at the conventions. I know it's outside my particular genre, but I'm gonna take a chance!

See you at Origins smile in less than 16 hours!

Before Legions of Steel, there was NOTHING.

Over here, a nappy is what my 8 week old son fills with poo.

Also Napoleonics are both ugly and boring. This is a lesser sin to not having plasma "rifles" (sic) or multi-launch man-portable artillery rocket batteries.

Yep, I'm having exactly the same problem with fantasy. No plasma cannons... tongue

They're called "Mages", tnjrp. This also threw me off a bit at first- until I realised the WMD's were bipedal and wore funny hats.

I'd say that the major barrier to historical, or even most kinds of miniatures wargaming comes from the high entry cost required to get the leads (or plastics), paints, tools, and so on required for something that you may or may not be able to actually play more than a few times a year. Plus, there are those (like me) who just simply don't have the coordination to paint properly at all. It's pretty easy to see where some might go for the pre-paints, or even just abandon minis gaming altogether as a lost cause.

The only problem with this poll is that there IS a great sucking sound involved in wargaming..... it comes from my wallet....LOL.

Never enough cash to go around, and get the figs I want.

John

jimbeau wrote:

I guess Irski and Voysey didn't talk before publishing their separate articles.

No, we didn't. I don't even know who this Irski guy is, but I guess he's got a stick lodged somewhere in his anatomy, yes?

What exactly is this guy's problem? Is it that sci-fi and fantasy gaming are getting more popular than historical gaming? Well boo hoo. Its not like they're mutually exclusive, after all (I'm both a naval and sci-fi gamer, after all) yet there is much more room for scope with regards to sci-fi/fantasy than there is with historical.

Anyway, its not like this guy has a functioning brain cell, so...

Now now, personal attacks are strictly verboten.

I prefer to challenge him on his own terms.

Its not a personal attack, its a fact...:D

I was just about to suggest that, as a matter of fact--I had been thinking of a few words to put down on paper (so to speak)

Want any help?

Well this is a little late so forgive me I just don't get to this forum as much as I'd like.

I started gaming in the early 90's.  I was lucky enough to run into a local guy on the  pre-internet MP game of Battletech.  Anyway he showed me the miniatures version of it and I was hooked.  That lead to Napoleon's Battles.  I loved it, I mean it was awesome.  I've played many good and bad wargames since, but I still play NB and enjoy the heck out of it. (I've out grown BT for some reason.)

Anyway I'm not sure why Nappies or historicals in general are taking a hit here but that's the internet for ya. smile  There is absolutely zero wargaming laws that prevent you from making up your own non-historical scenarios with historial troops.  In fact I prefer it.

I don't particularly agree with the author on many things.  The clicky games and there kin are not my cup of tea, but they are exposing our hobby to main stream commericial masses.   That leads to an increase of the slow trickle of gamers picking up and trying existing rules sets and genres.  When prompted to play Napoleonics I couldn't have been less interested in a genre, but after learning the rules and playing some excellent games it's by far one of my favorites.

The other thing is, I can't wait for pre-painted minis.  That's what I use now for most of my miniatures, I just buy the bare lead and pay someone to paint them for me.  I'm not lazy, I want to spend my time turning the French flank or dropping a Doom Diver on a unit of Hammerers not dabbing in the fricking yellow piping on so loser's tunic.  big_smile   But hey if that's your thing I'm cool with that to.  It's a win/win.

I think with the range of gamers we are starting to see you'll continue to have these niches and factions of preference, but as long as it keeps growing it's good for all of us.

to be honest, I don't mind the pre-painted myself.  I would love to see a really good system that used axis and allies minis and FoW style rules. (I could have written a set of rules like FoW in another life!

But that's just me smile

oh yeah, I would have used multiple die types too smile

oh yeah, and why exactly DON'T you come here every day like the rest of us big_smile

It's a silly article from the get-go.

I started gaming in 1978 with a copy of AH's "Bismarck" and followed by the original pocket copy of TFG's "Star Fleet Battles" and have never looked back.

There are more games (Historical and fantastic) on the market now than at any time in HISTORY. That means people are playing them. Back in "The Day" there was ONLY AH, SPI, TFG, Metagaming, and TSR. That was basically IT.

Mini games were limited to Chainmail and Nappies or Civil war stuff.

Now, at our last con (Millennium Con X in Austin) there were 150+ different games played, most of which were minis games! I don't think there were any clickies at all! (There may have been a Star Wars minis game).

And what about Clicky games? It brings novices into the notion of moving toy "Soldiers" around a table/map. WHAT ON EARTH IS WRONG WITH THAT? Personally, all i think it does is widen the gene pool.

And I do love Iron Stars.

And for reference, here are pics from last year's show:

http://www.millenniumcon.com/MilliX_Slideshow/MILLENNIUMCONX2008/index.html

This is obviously a flourishing hobby. I defy anyone to look through the images and say it's not.

Gotta Agree...

Wargaming has CHANGED, and the fossils like me that didn't adapt (as Warlock and I obviously have) have pined for a return to 'the way things were' since the advent of twenty-sided dice.....I have a bag ful of them, thank you.
smile

The field is more open, the hobby has transitioned from a remote, "geeky old man's" past time to one that attracts younger males (and the occasional female - where the hell was I when THAT happened?) that are simply more interested in competitions, not infinitely long "I'm geekier than thou" discussions of uniform colors from the Hundred Years war...

The uber geeks that drove the old game companies were put out of business by the more streamlined companies, and their 'expertise' relegated to non-essential sideline commentary.

While there is a place for commentary, but it's not a premium product any more. I can find anything out by punching in a few search phrases in Google or Wikipedia. Amateur pedants like myself can self-publish games that approach what the old guys published as pocket games, and Smaller Publishers like MJ12 can put out stuff that outshines the old mainline stuff using print-on-demand. Big Boys like GW and ADB can put out products that shine like first tier products meant for mass consumption.

Gaming simply became mainstream, and doesn't have to apologize any more for being the past time of geeks - so geeks aren't in charge anymore. Want a historical game? go write one.....or download it off the 'net.

It's that simple...

I am an old Grognard...first wargame was Panzer by Yaquinto in 1979.  That same year I discovered Traveller (the original little black books) and Star Fleet Battles.

I now have little spawn running amok in my wife's castle.  Ages 13 down to 4, mix of boys and girls (mostly boys).  What I have discovered with them is that WARGAMES are not the most important thing, but simply GAMING is the real joy.

I grew up hating fantasy.  I was a Traveller player, not D&D.  But my kids love Narnia and Harry Potter.  So games like Battlelore or (gasp) Heroscape are on the table (or floor).  Even have Star Wars Miniatures that I use with Star Wars Saga RPG that my kids play ( I GM the sessions).

I still have my own games; even find a few opponents occasionally.  Sometimes the kids join in too (especially with miniatures).

So I don't lament the passing of the great days of the 80's.  I try to enjoy the good days now and give my kids great experiences.

RockyMountainNavy wrote:

I am an old Grognard...first wargame was Panzer by Yaquinto in 1979.  That same year I discovered Traveller (the original little black books) and Star Fleet Battles.

I started with Milton Bradley's American Heritage Series (still have all four, and added Skirmish to the collection a few years ago) and Risk in the mid-sixties. My first true wargames were probably Blitzkrieg, Panzer Blitz, and Tactics II in the early seventies.

RockyMountainNavy wrote:

I grew up hating fantasy.  I was a Traveller player, not D&D.  But my kids love Narnia and Harry Potter.  So games like Battlelore or (gasp) Heroscape are on the table (or floor).  Even have Star Wars Miniatures that I use with Star Wars Saga RPG that my kids play ( I GM the sessions).

I'll take a game of Battlelore or Heroscape any day of the week.
I think I'm up to 12 master sets of Heroscape now, and have collected everything for Battlelore that's been released.
:wink:
Kevin