Topic: GF3 quick reference sheet

As proof we are nearing completion of Third Edition, here is a preview of the game's QRF.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: GF3 quick reference sheet

Kick ass!

Glad to see this!

How's this going?

Just got excited about doing WWII Naval games again.

HOPEFULLY (fingers crossed) before Christmas.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I think I've managed to glean quite a bit of info from this sheet.

For combat you seem to add up all the modifiers.  If its positive you use the left most column for a weapon and use the modified to hit values.  If you have 0 or negative you hit on a 5-6 and shift right one column for each negative point.

The damage check confuses me a bit.  I'm wondering if the ship cards have changed?  I can see where you'd mark "weapon damage" (much like Nova), but that doesn't seem to jive with speed reduction.

Looks overall like combat resolution will be pretty fast - just will have to get used to the modifier calculations as there are a lot of factors in there (armour vs. pen included).

-Tim

Hi Daniel,

Just wondering if there was any update on when you will be releasing GF3? Are you still aiming at a pre-Christmas release? Please let us know...

Thanks,

Andy.

Just looking over some of the data cards that have been previewed, there are a few things I really like compared to other mini games of the same genre:

1) The cards are quite compact yet still clear to read.  It will be no problem to manage several ships without eating up a huge amount of table real estate.
2) If playing a "pickup" game - constructing fleets up to a given point value - its easy to compare ships.  The Speed, armour and relative firepower are all right there to see.  This is especially true for firepower where things like rate of fire/size of shell/number of guns has all been pre-calculated down to one number.  (Of course there is still relative AP of the guns to consider)
3) Little book keeping - other than the odd critical hit (which are tracked by counters on the table), all you have to keep track of his hull damage and degradation of speed/weapon systems.  Because of the way the damage is marked (from the left most box) there really is no thinking required to fire with damaged weapon batteries, as you still just read off the leftmost unmarked box.

Anyway, looking forward to GF3 when it comes out.

-Tim

Attached is a sample (final) data card. I am saddened that the full-color version had to go by the wayside, but production costs would have been prohibitive. Perhaps as a separate PDF download...

We're almost there! smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

A shame about the colour, but on the other hand when I do my own conversions, at least my cards won't look so bad compared to the "official" ones now  big_smile

I understand the printing issues, but giving full color cards in PDF with the PDF download (or as a demo pack) would be really nice, you can then print the one you needs.

But I really need GF3 out. I need a decent naval game when I am not in the mood of the Admiral Trilogy. I really like Grand Fleet 1st edition and I hope the 3rd edition will be spot on (especially with the air and sub add abstract add ons). I have tried VaS and I had some issues  with it (well now David Manley seems to be more involved and it is a good sign for them), I tried NAval Thunder and I was not impressed in the least.

Arrigo (De-lurking after years).

@Arrigo

I have also been very much looking forward to GF3 coming out.  I tried Victory at Sea, but it wasn't for me (not enough granularity overall is my feeling).  I actually liked Naval Thunder better, but there was a lot of little numbers, and didn't really feel satisfied with the way aircraft and subs were treated.

Not so long ago I picked up "Stations Manned and Ready 2".  Its quite good IMHO, but a touch more complicated than I think the rest of my group is interested in trying out.

GF3 really strikes a great balance with everything.  Can't wait to play and also to grind out some more ship stats!

-Tim

Tim,

Well, I like the approach of Stations Manned and Ready but... I have already Grand Fleets and Command at Sea, so I prefer to stick to them.

I did not like Naval Thunder because the damage models was weird. You accumulate damage but without effect and you get effects only from critical hits.

Now back in waiting mode...

I'll be honest... part of the reason I'm not including color cards with the initial release is the time involved in creating them. And I'm sure y'all would prefer to have the game in hand before I start spending time on "extras". smile

But now that the black-and-white cards are finalized, creating the color versions is that much closer to a reality. Here's a quick tease.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Great choice of preview cards!

Again, IMHO, one of the strengths of GF3 is to easily ascertain the strength of a ship by just glancing at its card.  10 dice AP 4 with long range at 26 makes it a very nasty cruiser offensively.. of course 1 armour is pretty miserable. 

On an aside the German Pocket battleships are quite the oddity.  In WWI, and later with the Scharnhorst class, German Battlecruisers were designed with more armour and less weaponry.  The Deutschland class resembles a design philosophy more similar to what the British employed in their WWI and interwar Battlecruisers.

Cricket, are you planning on doing any print runs for GF3 (or print on demand), or is this likely just a soft copy?  Shipping charges to Canada usually kill any notion I have of picking up a printed copy, but still curious. 

-Tim

Daniel,

if you can get the game out before March 14... it will be nice, because I can print for free (B&W) in my College... later on I do not know...  yikes

So B&W cards are incredibly attractive in this light... the color ones can wait... one thing I liked in the previous version was the ship profile.

Tim,

If you stop looking and the Deutschland class as battleships/battlecruisers and instead you think as "cruiser killers"  the thing starts to make sense. Battlecruisers were, more or less, a failure out of the mind of Jackie Fisher. With the fast battleships coming into age (QE class for example) battlecruisers lost their primary purpose (killing everything else, running away from BBs). But... and here comes out Admiral Hans Zenker. Hw wanted something that could deal with French overseas trade.

TheThough called a “pocket battleship” in the English-language naval press, this term greatly exaggerated the ship's capabilities. She was about the same size as a heavy cruiser and armored on the same scale; the German Navy initially called them “armored ships” and reclassified the two surviving units as “heavy cruisers” in early 1940.  designers gave Zenker four variants of what he considered politically feasible: a 10,000-ton armored ship with a speed of at least 26 knots and an armament of six 280mm guns. This would give her a gunnery advantage against the “Washington Treaty cruisers” then joining the American, British, French, Japanese and Italian fleets, as they were limited by treaty to 203mm (eight-inch) guns. The new ship would also be faster than existing battleships.

The Royal Navy and the Japanese Navy included battle cruisers with both heavier guns and greater speed than the new design, but Zenker considered this an acceptable risk. His new ship would at least have an edge over most of her likely opponents.

Though called a “pocket battleship” in the English-language naval press, this term greatly exaggerated the ship's capabilities. She was about the same size as a heavy cruiser and armored on the same scale; the German Navy initially called them “armored ships” and reclassified the two surviving units as “heavy cruisers” in early 1940.

If you look them this way they made quite a lot of sense. And Daniel has correctly rated them CA. I am curious to see the armor of the typical treaty cruiser and see how it works against the 1 rating. The Scharnorst class is a different beast as the WW1 BCs were. Remember they were designed to operate in conjunction with the battlefleet.

Arrigo

Marauder: There will be hard copies available.

Arrigo: The ship profile went away because it seemed superfluous on a B&W card, and I wanted to reduce to business-card size (thus fitting 10 per 8.5"x11" sheet). I could add them back to the color cards, but that would mean expanding them to playing-card sizes.

Also, here's a treaty cruiser for comparison.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

compare quite well with historical specs. The main differences were guns (quite evident from the cards) and turrets. The Scheer had 5.5 inch at the turrets the Exeter only 1 inch. It was a clear design decision, but I do not know if this is the level of detail we can go into in GF3 (or how this can be really replicated except in CaS or Seekrieg).

and Daniel, game first, then pundits like me will argue about the colour cards with ease. But as a quick comment, probably having just a gradient rather than all the background "noise" will help ease of reading. The German card for example is more pleasant to my eyes than the Commonwealth one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even CaS doesn't get into details like turret armor.

It COULD be done for GF3, but it's not something I'm willing to look at except as an optional rule down the line.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Daniel,

I was literally thinking loud about the differences in the two differences. When I said "was a clear design decision" I referred to the ship constructors.  Technically on the Exeter they were gun houses... I do not think it is a good idea to go into such kind of detail in GF3. sometime CaS made exceptions for particular design with special armor ratings for turrets, but on average you have only belt/deck armor. Usually you include the differences in turret armor in the likelihood of turret hits as critical.  I can see this as a problem only if you have a crazy design where the turrets are massively armoured and the rest of the ship is not. AFAIK only Seekrieg and Stations Manned and Ready have gone down that road.

I am quite confident you do not need to just start tinkering with rules just for me!  big_smile

@Arrigo

Thanks for that info on the Deutschland class.  I hadn't read up much on the design of the ships.  I guess my point is that I'm surprised that the German's went that way with the class, given that in WW1 it was shown that the British BC's ended up being not such great ships, where as the German ones were.  I guess the problem wasn't so much with the British BC's, but the fact that they used them in the battleline.  I suspect that the WW2 germans probably did learn from this and made the Deutschland's small enough to never consider trying to go head to head with anything larger than a treaty cruiser.

Still I wonder how Graf Spee would have faired if she had had just 8" guns and a lot more armour?

@Dan

I know of I think 3 Naval games that have separate armour stats for turrets etc.:
-Station's Manned and Ready 2
-General Quarters 3
-Micronauts WW2

That being said, it is a lot of detail and very much linked to more complicated damage models than GF3.  I think this would have been something that you could have implemented into GF2 - but for GF3 it would likely have to be abstracted - say tied to the weapon damage rolls - perhaps something similar to Starmada Nova with the protected/weak systems.  If a ship has much heavier turret armour than its belt that weapon could count as "protected" (i.e. have less chance of losing boxes) etc.

Anyway, great cards.  A ship image would be cool on a larger card, but I understand that is a lot more work than just adding some colour.

-Tim

GF3 looks as though it will provide a much-needed rule set to cover the gap in "re-fighting" fleet actions.  I cannot wait to try it for some of the engagements in the Med. in WW2 between the Italian and British fleets - there are some really interesting "rolling" battles with cruisers, pursuits and battleships smile

I am also looking for rules to replay Jutland next year and hope GF3 will do the trick.  So far the rules I have used - GF2, Naval Thunder, GQ3, Micronauts, Stations Manned & Ready (1 &2) and Command at Sea are better for squadron sized actions and cannot handle larger number of vessels well (in terms of time added to the games, as play is slowed, more than mechanisms).  While I have had some good fleet actions (including some novice admirals and squadron commanders) with Battle Stations, No Safe Port, and All at Sea these designs are TOO abstract and are also hard to usefully convert to a campaign game with a system of repair and refit etc.

BTW will GF3 include a simple repair system for use in a campaign game?  The sorts of things we have cobbled on to various tactical/operational rule sets for this purpose include:
- For BA/BB/BC, we say it takes 5 days work to repair each "box" of damage.  For cruisers and destroyers we make this 10 days; as the damage proportionally is more significant.
- When a ship has received hull damage, but no damage that reduces speed), we allow repairs at any port with facilities, or an anchorage with repair ships etc. 
- Any ship taking hull that reduces the ship's speed we require to be repaired at a dockyard/major port/designated ports.
- Main battery gun turrets we require to be repaired at naval dockyards and take 20 days to repair.  Secondary battery gun turrets etc require 10 days to repair.  We allow this work to be done at the same time as work to the hull.

What I have seen from the reference sheet, ship cards and discussion on the forum makes me think GF3 will hit the sweet spot - I cannot wait smile

Thanks,

Andy.

Campaign rules are not included in the main rulebook, but are among the various things contemplated for later expansion.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com