Topic: Combo weapons, integral weaponry, fire actions.

Here's a combination of idle player curiosity and some design questions regarding the game itself:

What is the advantage of integral weaponry over combo weapons? I assume it is that EACH weapon frame can be the absolute maximum PV allowed for the infantry frame thus maximising the power of the weapons types that can be mounted, with a peripheral bonus at the strategic level of not requiring an additional frame for the hypothetical Combo weapons.

Still, I wonder why Combo weapons are discounted while Integral Weapons are not?

I assume Integral Weaponry does NOT grant additional fire actions, in which case, why pay full price for them but then not for combo weapons?

Finally, what do folks think about having 2 or even 3 fire actions for an infantry frame? Relatively harmless? Horribly overpowered? How fraught with peril would a house rule for this be? Major whacking of the points assumptions, or potential Genre Rule?

Re: Combo weapons, integral weaponry, fire actions.

The advantage of intergral weaponry is that you can create lots of troop variety with only a few weapon frames.  I think that in most cases it's more cost effective to build combo frames, but for some armies that only have one or two frames that need more than one weapon for versatility, it's a nice way to keep your staregy rating down by minimizing weapon frames.

There is no tactical or strategic reason to limit fire actions on infantry frames, but there is a matehmatical one:

For ease of use (i.e. to avoid all kinds of annoying square root calculations that would make army building a major pain), the Customizer assumes that frame and weapon cost will be roughly equivalent over the whole of the army (+/- 20% or so is fine).  If too many cheap (e.g. infantry) frames have a high weapon cost it skews the distribution to the point that certain choices have an inherent advanatge statistically (I'm not going to tell you which troops would get this advanatge, though you can figure it out if you have the time or inclination by looking very closely at the comparison between HTH and ranged weapon costs based on damage #...just don't tell anyone :-).

Re: Combo weapons, integral weaponry, fire actions.

It makes me feel smart to know these things. S M R T!