Topic: Starting to make an army list

So I caved in and got Defiance. Thought I'd start on making an army list, and decided to go with a Stargate SG-1 theme.

Got the basics of what I want down, though I've come across some things that have gotten me stymied.

1) Am using the sample weapons starting on pg 127 and noticed something - the MP5 is a superior weapon compared to the M16, yet it has 1/3 the PV cost. Both are Carbine 9 template weapons, yet I get a PV of 8 for the MP5 and a PV of 5 for the M16. There's nothing in the errata about this.

2) I want to design a frame for a Jaffa heavy cannon (stationary weapon, no movement), and can't seem to find any rules for making a weapon such as that.

3) Was hoping to design a MALP/M2HB light vehicle, but all the light vehicle templates move too fast. I could do it as a PI, but it's really supposed to be a support type thing as opposed to a full unit of MALPs. I guess what I want is a light vehicle or something that moves at speed of 2 or 3, but can be fielded as a single unit like a vehicle.

Re: Starting to make an army list

I'll have to check my books, but, last question first:

The MALP is very, very slow. I'd call it PI, give it slow movement and half-decent armour (0 or -1) and give it a Hero point. That lets you field it alone and independent. If you like, you can make it a Matrix morale figure with a Hero point. That will make it expensive but virtually immune to morale, befitting a remote controlled drone.

There are no completely stationary units in Defiance by default, because it messes with the stats that the units are built on. I can't clearly remember the Jaffar heavy cannon, but here's your options off the top of my head:

1. Crew Served Weapon. IIRC this means it can be moved, but only by a team of infantry. Crew Served Weapons use the Vehicle weapon max points for your army list, so they can take much bigger guns than infantry.

2. Eyeball it. Take the slowest vehicle frame, calculate it out, and then give yourself another 20% discount for being immobile.

If you're making an army list to go up against just any old army list, you will need one or two decent Indirect Fire weapons. Alternatively you can house-rule IF out completely. In games I played where one side took little or no IF for flavour reasons, they got dominated.

This might balance out in SG versus Goa'uld because Earth forces would likely have mortars and grenade launchers, whereas the Goa'uld would have a monopoly on close air support. Actually, thinking about it, this would be a very interesting match-up! It might tend towards "win big or lose in a slaughter" games, with the Goa'uld needing to take down mortar teams and the SG forces needing to take down the Gliders, or respectively get absolutely slaughtered.  :twisted:

Re: Starting to make an army list

Regarding the rifle versus machine pistol on p127, I've got inked in over the top that the M16 is as listed, but its range brackets are 20/40/60 . It sees to have gotten the MP5 ranges in a copy-paste error.

If you've got $12 to spare, pick up Evolution of Arms which adjusts the points for very close quarters, like boarding actions and the like, which would be awesome to game out in the SG-1 universe. (It also loosens up some of the army list restrictions.)