Topic: A question about crossing the T

I played a game today about a hypothetical warplan orange engagement with a squadron of battlecruiser and battleship per side in order to learn the game.  One question that did come up during play was crossing the T. 

A Lexington (5 pen) managed to cross the T on a Kongo (3/1+) while also having another Kongo in the same range band broadside-on, and one of our players felt is was unfair that he would get less dice shooting at the Kongo that was head-on due to the larger overpen penalty.  Were we missing something/doing something wrong?  Or is this simply net effect the smaller target offsetting the increased fudge-factor on ranging? 

Cheers,
Martin

Re: A question about crossing the T

Personally I'm not planning on using the over pen rules, but if I did I might just apply it when the difference was 4 or 5.
That would make it more difficult for BB's to take out destroyers but that is about it.

So essentially, the bonus of crossing the T is the application of Lanchester's Square Law for a turn or two?

You're not doing anything wrong; that's just a consequence of the two rules interacting (end armor and overpen).

Frankly, I don't see where the issue is -- if you're using the overpen rule, that means you're wanting to account for the fact that some shells are just too massive for some targets. When going after an end-on target with AP5 shells, that's going to happen. wink

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I wasn't complaining, I was running a squadron of Japanese battleships, and the Japanese did come out worse for wear on that engagement.  (not that the two facts are necessarily correlated  big_smile )

My thought would be to only use the over-penetration rule when not crossing the T.
When crossing the T a shell is likely hit at an acute angle & therefore travel further through the hull or superstructure, thus more likely to cause damage?

Not sure why a shell is more likely to hit at an acute angle when crossing the "T", but "traveling further through the hull" is the reason for the overpen rule in the first place -- such shells are more likely to pass through without exploding at all.

Really, crossing the "T" should have two benefits: limiting the amount of firepower the target can bring to bear against you, and overcoming a heavily-armored target. If you are crossing the "T" of a ship whose armor you already outclass, there's going to be a slight drawback.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Let me clarify my line of thought....

Completely agree the principle of over-penetration equating to large calibre shells not exploding when passing though no/low armour.

I meant more likely to hit at a shallow angle in relation to the target centreline, rather than more likey 'to hit' per se.

Such a shell penetrating the target bow/stern is likely to travel the length of the target ship rather than across the width, so the chances of cumulatively hitting something more solid increases, i.e. multiple armoured bulkheads, engine, boilers, magazine, etc.

Probably just me over-thinking !

wink

Ah, I understand now.

A fair point. The easiest rule modification I can think of at the moment would be to ignore the overpen rule when in the target's fore/aft aspect.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com