Topic: Dropfleet Commander Ships

Now that I've got Unity, it's time to start tinkering.  I'll be running a test game next Thursday using some Dropfleet models, so I'll start there.

First up a couple of UCM (aka normal human) ships.

[size=85]Ucm MOSCOW-class Heavy Cruiser (350)

-Fwd: 6-5-4-3-2-1
-Port: 4-3-2-1
-Stbd: 4-3-2-1
-Aft: 2-1

Hull: 12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
Engines: 4-4-3-2-2-1
Weapons: 19-16-13-10-7-4

UF-6400 Mass Driver (4-8-12) 2×3+/1/2
TR ☐☐☐☐ // (2)

UF-4200 Mass Driver (4-8-12) 3×4+/1/1
GHJ ☐| GIK ☐ // (1)

Shark Missiles (MA 8) 2×4+/1/1
360° ☐☐☐☐☐☐ // (3)

PDF (0-1-1) 2×4+/1/1 (Dfn; Pnp)
360° ☐☐☐☐☐ // (3)

Equipment: Anti-Fighter Batteries ☐| Hyperdrive ☐ // (1)

Ucm RIO-class Cruiser (265)

-Fwd: 5-4-3-2-1
-Port: 4-3-2-1
-Stbd: 4-3-2-1
-Aft: 2-1

Hull: 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
Engines: 4-4-3-2-1
Weapons: 13-11-8-6-3

UF-6400 Mass Driver (4-8-12) 2×3+/1/2
TR ☐☐ // (1)

UF-4200 Mass Driver (4-8-12) 3×4+/1/1
GHJ ☐| GIK ☐ // (1)

360° ☐☐☐☐ // (2)

360° ☐☐☐ // (2)

Equipment: Anti-Fighter Batteries ☐| Hyperdrive ☐ // (1)

Ucm TOULON-class Frigate (80)

Screens: 2-1

Hull: 3-2-1
Engines: 5-3
Weapons: 8-4

UF-2200 Mass Driver (4-8-12) 1×4+/1/1
TR ☐☐☐ // (2)

360° ☐ // (1)

360° ☐☐ // (1)

Equipment: Anti-Fighter Batteries ☐| Hyperdrive ☐ // (1)
[/size]

Re: Dropfleet Commander Ships

I'm not familiar with Dropfleet (minis look awesome though) at all, but your stats look pretty good for trying out the game. Is there reason you have both the short range def/pnp weapons and anti-fighter batteries?

Tim

Well, I'd be likely to do that myself for my normal fleets, so...:D

Well, AFBs give some measure of protection, while the defensive/pinpoint batteries give a good chance of taking out fighters before they attack (although 4+ ACC means you're only looking at a 50% chance of taking out fighters or seekers each roll--I'd be going for 3+, maybe even 2+ for advanced powers' PD batteries)

Well, I mostly did it to represent the dropfleet general active anti missile defenses (pinpoint lasers, counter missiles and jammers) and the seperate point defense turrets (used as anti-fighter systems).  It also allows for reduced defenses if the anti-fighter batteries are lost to damage.

I'm planning on randomizing the system damage and using the hyperdrive system to represent the anti-grav generators (lose them and either bug out or crash into the planet).

Duskland wrote:

I'm planning on randomizing the system damage and using the hyperdrive system to represent the anti-grav generators (lose them and either bug out or crash into the planet).

I'd be interested to see what you come up with for randomization.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Okay, cool.  Personally, I think if you are going to design your own defensive systems, better to just leave our AFB.  AFB, IMHO, are an easy way to slap on some defense, but if you are going to do your own dedicated systems, the are just going to add to the confusion for new players (also I believe they get degraded via hull damage, and don't just take damage separately).

The fact that Dropfleet ships have both sets of defenses makes me that much more interested in picking up the rules for a read and then the ships to play Starmada with ;-)

-Tim

In Dropfleet Commander the AFB style defenses are abstract.  They basically limit the maximum range of seekers/missiles/drones to the firing ships scan range (6" for UCM,Scourge, 8" for PHR and 12" for Shaltari).  Any further away and the missiles are shot down before they enter range.  Ships also have active PDF which can be used against each incoming volley of missiles/fighters to negate some of the damage.

For the randomization, I was just going to have check off a system box as usual and then once the damage is applied randomize where it goes.  Given the damage limits, the players will have no choice but to mark one off a half weapon damage.  It will let me get the feel of the crippling damage tables from DFC while still being quick and interesting.