Topic: Jim goes to celtic fest!

Hey everybody!

I took a train from Bloomington IL to Chicago so I could hit Celtic fest with a couple of buds from work. So I wore a kilt, cause it's Celtic Fest.

My friends said that I was getting a bunch of looks from the people in the train station so I told them "At least they're not wondering if you're wearing underwear." 

I drank many Guinness. mmm Guinness...

Herein are the chronicle of my adventures!

I entered the "Men in Kilts Leg Contest" and, while I did not even make it to the second round, I will go down in history as the double kilt guy.

Here's the story there...

I went to Celtic fest thinking I would get a utilikilt ordered (I am a 38" waist and 20" length kinda guy, yes that's very short) so I go to the Utilikilt booth and I say "What are the chances you can get me my size?

The very nice (and pretty) lady there says, "Not much sir, but let me check.. wait is this one??"

Turns out, they had one (1) single kilt in my size, in the color my wife wanted me to get. so I bought it.

Then, later, I entered the kilt-wearin' contest. So there I was with an "All-Ireland" Sport Kilt and a Black Utilikilt.

I had been wearing the black kilt all day long and decided that I would play a little trick on the nun running the contest (well, she wasn't really a nun, she was a comedian) but I went up on stage in front of God and all of Chicago wearing my sport kilt OVER my Utilikilt.

I then tore off my sport kilt, which is fastened with Velcro, revealing naught but a Utilikilt underneath.

I got a ...GASP... and then applause!

Apparently, I am legendary in celticfest as the two kilts guy.

I had a ball at the festival and will plan on returning next year... you are all welcome.  (Bring your kilts).

Re: Jim goes to celtic fest!

Why does the 'Scott' guy hold the same pose (or darn near it) in every picture except the first?

Being Irish, Scotch, Dutch, and French ( in that order - more or less ), I can understand the attraction to wanting to wear the 'national garb'. But frankly, I much prefer cargo shorts - they ain't as drafty if the wind picks up.

actually that's Dave, and he had some kind of "problem" I think

You should really try the kilt, it's very "free-ing" and you'll most likely be the only guy at the party about which everyone's thinking "I wonder if he's wearing underwear".

My only sadness about the day was that Noel was at a damn Cards Game the night before, and that Dan wasn't there.

jimbeau wrote:

actually that's Dave, and he had some kind of "problem" I think

You should really try the kilt, it's very "free-ing" and you'll most likely be the only guy at the party about which everyone's thinking "I wonder if he's wearing underwear".

My only sadness about the day was that Noel was at a damn Cards Game the night before, and that Dan wasn't there.

I didn't start wearing anything but jeans until last year - and I'm 48....

Might take me a few years to feel comfortable wearing a kilt....
:-)