Topic: Grand Fleets Question

> -----Original Message-----
> From: zouave7 [mailto:zouave7@gmavt.net]

> AM I correct that Grand Fleets does not cover WW2?
>
> If that is he case has anyoe done any modifcations to use it
> for WW2 or does MJ12 plan to do so?

Actually, GF does cover it. There are two (?) scenarios from WW2, and the weapon data in the back of the book goes through 1940 or so. This means that you can convert WW2 ships to GF values quite easily.

The intent of the game was to focus on WW1, but there's no reason why you couldn't use it for later conflicts.

The one caveat is, while the game includes rules for aircraft, you probably wouldn't want to try to play, for example, Midway or Pearl Harbor... smile

Dan

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Grand Fleets Question

I know Kevin had a few WW2 scenarios drawn up that were primarily gun duels between cruisers and destroyers (Guadalcanal and the like).  They looked awfully fun.

The WWII scenarios I've played (solo) have all gone very well.  And I suppose if WWII scenarios were all I played, that would be the end of it.  In comparison with WWI, though, I find myself wondering about the advances in fire control during the intervening 20+ years.  I've considered a simple "radar" house rule for WWII scenarios, but haven't actually played with one.

(As far as that goes, if one thinks of the Grand Fleets hit probabilities as representing standard WWI director-controlled firing, then one might feel a need to penalize ships that do not have directors.  But figuring out which ships had directors fitted, and when, sounds like a giant mess I wouldn't want to get in to.)

-Eric

I had some house rules drawn up for RADAR (early) and WWII fire control. 

Kevin may have the notes, may not.  But they affected the game in two general areas. 

The first was in detection.  In scenarios with poor visibility, RADAR had a chance of detecting an enemy ship several nautical miles away.  Wanted to show spotty performance.

In terms of fire control, the idea was to simulate the "computers" and such used by the US Navy.  A good narrative description of how they worked is included in "Last Ride/Stand of the Tin Can Sailors."    Forget the exact title.  But the idea was that the computers took the to-hit penalty associated with target speed down a peg. 

From what I've read, Japanese fire control never really went far beyond WWI level stuff.  They had IR optics, but never really developed FC computers, so Grand Fleets should model them fine.

I'm into WWII gaming big-time.  So far I can only run/demo land-based Micro-Armor games set in the latter stages of the war in West Europe but I would like to expand that my "range" of action so to speak.

That being said, I'm in the market for (amongst other things) a naval-combat rulset.  Grand Fleets looks interesting, and it's one I consider every time I start looking at getting a new set of rules.

If GF received an expansion or update to include more comprehensive WWII data/scenarios, and rules to handle aircraft better (my estimation of the aircraft rules is not from personal experience, just comments I've read), I'd buy it ASAP!  I don't have the necessary time or reference sources to convert a ship into the game, so having it already done by someone who does is a major selling point for me.

There, that's my $.02 into the discussion.  (Typical of customers, always wanting just a bit more.)

--Tim

I see it's been more than five months, but what the heck.

I know it doesn't answer your WWII data & scenarios concern, but if I was determined to play a scenario with massive amounts of air-to-air combat, I'd probably use Seekrieg 4's air-to-air combat rules.  The rules and the aircraft data are free, and huge air battles can be resolved off-board statistically with a few die rolls.  Then I'd set the survivors next to the ships and use Grand Fleets for the AA and the bombing & torpedoing.

-Eric

Hi. I use 1/700 scale ships and Grand fleets for much of my WW2 gaming. I have used the aircraft rules in my attack of the swordfish on the Bismarck. I have scenarios for the Atlantic and Guadalcanal and afterwards. I believe the rules work quite well. Kevin had developed some radar rules to use. I have probably run around a dozen WW2 games using the rules. I recently finished up my Yamato for its clash with my US BB's around Leyte. If using mass aircraft I would use the GQ2 rules. they should work fine.

Thanks,

John