Topic: 2020 Rules Update

As a holiday treat for you, I am posting the Starmada Rules Update which is included in the upcoming 2020 Rules Annex.

Post's attachments

2020 rules update.pdf 1.92 mb, 17 downloads since 2022-11-20 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: 2020 Rules Update

Cool, thanks for the update!

Looks good. I'm trying to modify the drydock (1.04b is what I currently have) to reflect the changes. I can post what I've gotten so far (only SHIP1, TABLES, DISPLAY, and WEAPONS have been changed at this point) if people want to experiment and let me know if I've missed anything.

Not sure why you would do that... Drydock v2.0 includes everything you see here.

http://www.mj12games.com/starmada/drydock2.zip

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

mj12games wrote:

Not sure why you would do that... Drydock v2.0 includes everything you see here.

A few reasons really. I like the old sheet. I like mucking with Excel as a hobby (and your sheets are an education unto themselves). I've already heavily modded the sheet to begin with, and don't want to have to figure out how to tweak the new one. smile

The only thing I couldn't figure out how to add was the AEGIS system. But we don't have any rules for the new traits anyways (and I have a feeling several of them are specific to Full Thrust anyways).

So is the SFU material going to be updated (namely the point values), or will it run under the old calculations?

Interesting. I'll have to print it out to get a chance to read through it properly, but...

MRCAcct wrote:

The only thing I couldn't figure out how to add was the AEGIS system. But we don't have any rules for the new traits anyways (and I have a feeling several of them are specific to Full Thrust anyways).

Designed to work with Full Thrust, yes. Specific to? Not really. The traits are easily integrated with the rest of the Starmada stuff.

So is the SFU material going to be updated (namely the point values), or will it run under the old calculations?

I'll have to see, but I'm fairly confident the point values won't change significantly.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Just a question, based on an excruciating attack of fridge-based recollection:

A few months ago I thought the range-based traits were being done away with in favour of up to five customisable range bands so that, for example, a range-12 weapon with Crn and Gid could be designed as a Range-8 weapon with just one range band. However, the range-based bands are back. Is this merely an update to the rules in 2017 to allow ships to be designed to be equivalent to version 2 of the SUE rules, or is the no-range-based-traits rules being abandoned?

Sorry if I'm not making myself clear--I've been running on between five to six hours' sleep for the last three days after an intensely stressful week-and-a-half.

To use a computer programming term, Range-Based traits are now deprecated, but they are still valid. The Drydock v2.0 allows you to build weapons either with the RB traits or the customized range bands.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Ah, fair enough. So there's nothing to stop me, for example, using a weapon with Gid+Sct, or have a weapon with three range bands that simulates the same effect--they'll be the same, but you can do either. Is that correct?

That is correct. The customized range bands weapon will cost slightly more (I think I averaged it out to around 5%) but that's a small price to pay for the flexibility.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

That's fair enough, if I can design weapons like plasma torches without having to introduce house rules for similar-looking dual-mode weapons...:)

Can you give us a hint when the 2020 Rules Annex will be officially released?

MRCAcct wrote:

Can you give us a hint when the 2020 Rules Annex will be officially released?

I would say "it has already been released" is as close a hint as you are going to get about this. smile

I was thinking more along the lines of rules for Aegis FC, Bulkheads, et al. smile

One thing I realized wasn't addressed (that I know of) with the flexible range bands was Fire Control.

For example, a player may ignore the penalty for attacking a target at long range,

This was great when you were applying a -1 for firing at long range. But when you have 4 range bands, what's "long range"? If the Acc is 2+/3+/4+/5+, which range band(s) are you allowed to use the fire control, as technically there's no longer a long range penalty?

EDIT: Okay, answered in the Rules Annex.

Damn, you don't check for a while and then find it's already been released. Grrr…

Who will it be available from? Just here, or will Brigade Models be selling it on this side of the Atlantic?

EDIT: Nvm, just ordered it. Yay!

will the basic Unity Rulebook get an update? I've already purchased the PDF of the 2020, but was curious if the basic book will get a 2.0 revision, since there are enough extras in the Annex to warrant that as a separate purchase.
Thanks, really looking forward to reading this.

Yes. The Unity Rulebook should be updated shortly.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Got it yesterday, have spent a couple hours checking things to make sure I've got them correct. Got a few questions, which I'll be asking shortly...

Will all the errata be sticky'd at the top of the forum? Is there a place to find all product errata?

I plan to give it a month (i.e. one more week) for people to find any and all errata. I will then make a separate post for it all.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I just noticed that the ships in the graphic at the top of pg 14 look exactly like the Klingon Raptor-class from Enterprise (S1E14). Don't see any art credits being mentioned, so dunno if you knew about that or not.

mj12games wrote:

Yes. The Unity Rulebook should be updated shortly.

Is there a timetable for this or a part of the process I am missing? I purchased Unity rules directly from MJ12 and it looks like the only version I can access is 1.02 and does not include changes as appear in the annex. Thanks.

Blacklancer99 wrote:

Is there a timetable for this or a part of the process I am missing?

SOON.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

In my head that “SOON” had voice-of-the-almighty reverb.