Topic: Box counters

Who would be interested in box counters as a cheap alternative to miniatures?

[attachment=0]IMG_20210424_145500295.jpg[/attachment]

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Box counters

I like the "tent"-style counters provided with Iron Stars etc.  You just have to print them on thick enough paper that they don't blow away if someone breathes too hard!

Would also be happy with box counters to avoid the hassle of assembling and storing miniatures.

Thinking of adding some tilt blocks to the lineup as well?  wink

If there is not an "aspect" reason the have a box, I would personally stick with a traditional counter as I prefer those to even the tent style ones. Honestly, if you did a PDF with lots and lots topside artwork, preferably some nice scalable vector graphics, in lots of different flavors and styles of ships I would buy that and make my own counters. I can crank something like that out on demand faster than I can assemble box miniatures. Years ago I dabbled with Attack Vector and made some "box minis" with some trim wood a can of spray primer and a couple of felt tip pens and I liked the feel of those a lot better than paper and card box minis.

Any possibility you might package a boatload of printable artwork for lots of factions even if you do some other kind of counter?
Cheers,
Erik

That puts me in mind of the wooden blocks used for Command & Colors games which you then apply stickers to with artwork for the unit in question.

With the right ship images you could print them on label paper and then stick them to your homemade wooden blocks.

Robin

Flat hex counters are the most ideal solution for cheap ship counters. As box or triangle counters can be hard to store, as you have to put them in a large plastic container instead of ziplock bags. Because box and triangle counters can be easily squished or broken if stored in bags.

Also flat hex counters tend to be printed on heavy duty cardboard so as such don't get blown around easily, they stack more easily and they take up the entire hex space without going over the edge of the hex so the playing field looks nice and organized.

When I was making my Generic Square Counters I went with squares over hexes simply because square counters are easier to cut out and glue on to cardboard then hex counters (And I'm not a graphic artist so anything that made it easier for me the better).

Both the square and hex flat counter types can be glued to black foam core. This increases the durability, keeps your storage ease, and makes them easier to grab on the map.