Topic: My El Cheapo Counters

So Dan's question about boxed counters spurred me to share something I have been meaning to for a while now, namely,. my simple and relatively cheap method for making Starmada counters. I would love to have a room full of models/minis, but I've squandered most of the money I would need for those in other pursuits, and besides, have neither the skill or patience to create fleets of beautiful minis.

For a long time I have played games with square cut cardstock, and rarely, square die cut counters and chits. Along the way I tried various methods to add some stability and heft, with mixed results, and usually more effort than was worth the end result. A couple of years ago I settled on the following combination, and it has worked well for me. First, I print my counters without any defining borders or edges, then I punch them out with 1" and 3/4" round paper punches I bought at the local craft store. Then, I use 1" and 3/4" self-adhesive, circular felt pads sold at the local discount store as furniture feet/floor protectors. For a couple of bucks I can get bunch of ready to use pads that require no prep to mount my counters to (I tried "blacking" the edges of the tan pads with felt-tip marker but it was far too much work and had very little noticable improvement).

Here is what I end up with (apologies for photo quality shot on a whim at my desk)

[attachment=1]Engage.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2]Fleet-Counters.jpg[/attachment]

Here are the basic construction materials

[attachment=0]Components.jpg[/attachment]

These counters have a nice thick "rim" which makes them easy to pick up, and the felt makes them VERY secure on my felt hex mat. The cat can still scatter them, but they stay in place as long as she doesn't manage to bat them at close range. :twisted: Additional pads can be easily stacked for altitude, which I like quite a lot better than putting on an altitude marker)

For smaller markers I use cardstock I have saved from the backs of legal pads (not a hoarder, I SWEAR!) punched out with the 3/4 punch. Then I use dollar store glue dots to mount a marker on either side of the "chip". Not as girthy as the counters, but don't need to be. Slightly more labor intensive, but I made quite a few more counter-style pieces than markers so it wasn't a big deal.

Next time I actually get a game going I will try to remember to take a couple of shots of these counters in action. I usually just play with "generic" style counters, but we have in the past made a couple from B5 Wars silhouettes.

Hope someone finds this technique useful, or even motivates someone to post up an even better method that we can all use!

Cheers,
Erik

Re: My El Cheapo Counters

I figured I should show the difference between the Counter-sized pieces and the Marker-sized ones

[attachment=0]Markers.jpg[/attachment]

In the middle is a punch out from the card that becomes the center piece of the marker. I can get rolls of 100 glue dots at the local dollar store and they are easy to apply and add negligible thickness to the marker. With the facings, the core and the glue dots the finished pieces are roughly the thickness and weight of many of the die cut counters I have from many moons ago.

Cheers,
Erik

Re: My El Cheapo Counters

These are great!

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com