Topic: MJ12 Games and Statistics

I've read here and there mentions that the design systems presented in MJ12's  games standing up to statistical analysis.

Is that true?  Can I get a bit more background information on that it just sounds interesting.

--Tim

Re: MJ12 Games and Statistics

FlakMagnet wrote:

I've read here and there mentions that the design systems presented in MJ12's  games standing up to statistical analysis.

Is that true?  Can I get a bit more background information on that it just sounds interesting.

Not being a statistician, I cannot comment on this -- Demian seems to know more about what "statistical analysis" would mean, or how one would "stand up" to it.

However, I can say that the point-cost systems for Starmada, ARES, and Iron Stars, are all based in math rather than playtesting. Which, I suppose, means they are theoretically able to stand up to statistical analysis.

I just know that things have generally worked out well -- aside from the occasional Starmada banked-weapons debate. smile

Dan

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

For the Record, For the Masses uses almost the exact same system as Ares for point definition, which, so far, with minor issues regarding command value, has stood up to both the Math test and extensive playtesting.

We're tweaking the system now as well, so it should be even better!

jim

From a mathematical standpoint, Defiance, Starmada and ARES (I haven't looked closely at the point systems of MJ12's other games) all base their relative costs on the statistics of the dice in question.  In other words, linear effects are calculated as linear effects and bell curve effects are calculated as bell curve effects.  From a strict game play point of view, each also follows the general rule that offense and defense are related by the square of their summed squares.

Note that, in the case of Defiance, this in no way means that everything in the rules is mathematically definable outside of a particular context.  For example, HTH combat's worth is intimately ties to the assumptions of the genre and the relative ability to get troops to close with the enemy.  But within a certain paradigm, each particualr HTH stat is *relatively* defianble versus others in the same context.

-Demian