Topic: Partial victory points

After spending a lot of time with Iron Stars lately, I have been wondering if it would be worth transferring over an idea to Starmada (lovingly ripped off from Grand Fleets)...

Basically, the idea would be to assign each ship a "Hull Victory Point" (HVP) value; this would then provide VPs to the enemy per hull point damaged on any ship not destroyed.

The HVP is computed by dividing the Combat Rating by twice the hull size, rounding to the nearest integer. For example, the Dortmund (CR 321, Hull 7) would have an HVP of 23.

Thus, if the Dortmund were destroyed, she would award her opponent the normal 321 VPs; however, if she took 4 hull hits but survived, the opposing side would receive 92 points (4 x 23).

Thoughts?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Partial victory points

considering the number of times I have tried to figure out the partial value of damaged ships to see how close a fight really was, I think this sounds like a good idea.

Looks good to me!

I've always wanted to have a way to handle partial damage on ships.  This works good for Grand Fleets, I'm sure it would work great for Starmada

-Bren

Great idea. It would really help, I think.

But I've got a slight problem with the IS hull victory point talley. As I see it, hull victory points might be partially strategic as well, so that ships with light damage need some time in the slipways, and for that time the others can avoid that ship. And, if Im not mistaken, heavy damage took far longer to repair than light damage. A couple of missing handrails is much easier to replace than, say, a 35x10ft hole in the hull, for example. So should there be two separate values? One for damage up to half damage, and another, probably twice the value, after that? For instance, using Nike (M/2), Nike receives 3 damage in a battle. The other side gains six points. But if seven damage is inflicted, the other side gets 10 plus 8, or 18 victory points.

Just an idea that crossed my mind, and I may even be speaking a load of cow manure. If so, just tell me and I'll shut up. big_smile

murtalianconfederacy wrote:

But I've got a slight problem with the IS hull victory point talley. As I see it, hull victory points might be partially strategic as well, so that ships with light damage need some time in the slipways, and for that time the others can avoid that ship. And, if Im not mistaken, heavy damage took far longer to repair than light damage.

This may be true, but from a simplicity perspective, I think having a single HVP value would be enough to do what we're looking for.

Dan

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com