Topic: HtH as Weapon Frames?

A certain gigantic war games company often makes models designed as squad leaders who carry a close combat weapon (CCW) while the rest of his squad carry long rifles. I want to design a standard (i.e., not ad hoc) infantry unit that captures this effect.

I considered designing a CCW as a weapon frame that, when taken, increases the figure's HtH dice by one, and perhaps adds an effector to all his HtH dice. It would take up a weapon frame slot and cost whatever one  of his HtH die would cost, plus the cost of any additional effectors for his total HtH dice. I would calculate this for each individual infantry frame allowed the CCW weapon choice and list it as a standard sidearm choice.

That seems like a lot of work, and I don't know if it would break the system. At the very least it's strange because, while ranged weapon frames are calculated separately, HtH is included in the infantry frame itself. Here I am trying to shoehorn an infantry frame modifier into a weapon frame; however, as I understand the rules, I can't just modify the leader's frame itself without forcing the unit to be ad hoc.

I looked at simply renaming the Bionic Arm individual augmentation, but I want an option that would, for example, allow Sergeant Mad-Dog's energy-crackling power sword to be field piercing, while allowing his crew of loyal veterans to carry standard issue laser rifles.

Could I design an individual augmentation that would allow HtH effectors, and be represented on the model as CCW equipment? If so, how could I keep it balanced? What other options haven't I considered?

As a new DVG player, I look forward to learning from your experience.

Re: HtH as Weapon Frames?

I don't see why you couldn't play it loose with the available HTH augmentations. If everyone can put any of the HTH augmentations on any hero or officer, that's fair, right?

Aha! You're saying just make it a genre rule... Pay the cost, add Armor or Field Piercing or Knockback or whatever to an Officer or Hero figure's existing HtH values. As long as both players agree...

That's simple, elegant, and grounded in common-sense. Thanks smokingwreckage!

Yeah, sometimes I get something right.

Actually, what I meant was, make the Honed Blade, Phase Blade and Super-Heated Tip augmentations always available to all officers- but your idea sounds fine too.