Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Yaay, beer!

Now you hadda get me going didn't you?

http://www.guinnessblog.com

mmmm beer

I've become a big fan of Hefeweizen lately. I found one called Pyramid that's really good.

Not a beer guy - Sake' for me, thanks!

thedugan wrote:

Isn't Sake actually more of a beer? I know it is usually refered to as rice wine but it shares most characteristics of beer, not wine. Beer is made from grains (wheat, barley, rice) while wine is made from plant juices (grapes). Wine is single fermented while beer (including sake) is fermented multiple times. The big difference is that in sake the enzymes for starch conversion come from a mold and not malt. Like all beers, Sake is best served fresh, it doesn't age like wine, quickly spoiling if unrefrigerated.

I used to like darker stouts and porters but over the last decade I have switched to preferring several excellent pale ales. I especially seem to like the pale ales with more hops as in IPAs.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale...mmmmn
Dogfishhead 60 minute IPA...mmmnnn
Dogfishhead 90 minute IPA...mmmnnn
Dogfishhead 120 minute IPA..not so much, too hoppy and bitter
Redhook's Hammer IPA...mmmnn
Bass Pale Ale....mmmnn

japridemor wrote:
thedugan wrote:

Isn't Sake actually more of a beer? I know it is usually refered to as rice wine but it shares most characteristics of beer, not wine. Beer is made from grains (wheat, barley, rice) while wine is made from plant juices (grapes). Wine is single fermented while beer (including sake) is fermented multiple times. The big difference is that in sake the enzymes for starch conversion come from a mold and not malt. Like all beers, Sake is best served fresh, it doesn't age like wine, quickly spoiling if unrefrigerated.

Beer and Sake are fermented MULTIPLE times? I've read 'recipes' for brewing and never saw that - mold, not malt? Hmm.. things to google...

Decent Sake' doesn't need to be refrigerated. I keep mine over the dryer in the laundry closet, and it's fine - it's like 15.6% alcohol. Maybe that cheap chinese crap spoils....never had that happen to me with Gekkeikan. But then, they don't usually sit more than a couple of weeks after I open them. smile

I do know that Gekkeikan is about the only one I can stand - and honestly, the only one I've SEEN besides those nasty Chinese 'Rice Wines' that are just - putrid.... :x

..maybe I'll get one if I see it, and see if heating it properly (approximately body temperature + about 2 degrees) makes it any better. The ones I tried back in the '80's while at Pearl Harbor were just NASTY...

But get me a bottle of Gekkeikan, though, and I'm one mellow guy - well, that, or Meyer's Rum Creme. I've not even heard of any of the other things mentioned - except Guiness.

Dark beers tend to make my tummy upset.

japridemor wrote:

I used to like darker stouts and porters but over the last decade I have switched to preferring several excellent pale ales. I especially seem to like the pale ales with more hops as in IPAs.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale...mmmmn
Dogfishhead 60 minute IPA...mmmnnn
Dogfishhead 90 minute IPA...mmmnnn
Dogfishhead 120 minute IPA..not so much, too hoppy and bitter
Redhook's Hammer IPA...mmmnn
Bass Pale Ale....mmmnn

If you like beer with a lot of hops, try Bell's Hopslam. It's a double pale ale with a serious bite. http://www.bellsbeer.com/index.php/brands.html

Working on Pyramid Hefeweizen number 2 right now.

Pretty much the only things I drink are Hobgoblin Ale.... a really nice English Ale, or Japanese Plum Wine....

Not much of a drinker

Nahuris

I'm not much of a drinker either, but I can drink quite a few different drinks. All depends on the mood I'm in.

Thing is, I always get more philosophical when I'm drinking than when I'm not. Its not fun after your second drink when someone starts spouting philosophy at you is it?

Thats why I don't drink much...:D

murtalianconfederacy wrote:

I'm not much of a drinker either, but I can drink quite a few different drinks. All depends on the mood I'm in.

Thing is, I always get more philosophical when I'm drinking than when I'm not. Its not fun after your second drink when someone starts spouting philosophy at you is it?

Thats why I don't drink much...:D

Either spout philosophy, dance, or sleep. I'm too old to dance a lot, and there aren't any decent clubs about anyway. The wife is bored by anything philosophical, so sleep is the usual result.

...don't drink that often myself, if I buy a bottle, it sits unopened for a while, but dissappears in a week or so once I open it.

My tastes run towards darker beers like stouts and heffe weizens.

That being said, I very much enjoy and thoroughly recommend trying these:

Brewer - Beer:

Ayinger - Celebrator
Hoffbrau - Heffe Wiesen
Brasserie Caracole - Nostrodamus
G. Schneider & Sohn - Aventinus

The Aventinus is particularly good, and the Nostrodamus is enoyable even by those who don't particularly care for beer at all.

--Tim

FlakMagnet wrote:

My tastes run towards darker beers like stouts and heffe weizens.

That being said, I very much enjoy and thoroughly recommend trying these:

Brewer - Beer:

Ayinger - Celebrator
Hoffbrau - Heffe Wiesen
Brasserie Caracole - Nostrodamus
G. Schneider & Sohn - Aventinus

The Aventinus is particularly good, and the Nostrodamus is enoyable even by those who don't particularly care for beer at all.

--Tim

Where do you get these, a Liquor Store? I can get a lot of beers at the local Wally-mart, but don't venture out much to the (somewhat out of the way) Liquor Store. I can occasionally get Sake at the Asian Gorocery Stores...

We have "Package Stores" here, but the "Buckle in the Bible Belt" isn't the best-served place to buy spirits...they're comparatively rare given the size of the town I live in - anyone in Fort Worth?

Anyone know where I can find a Strohs? I could find it all over the place in the late 70's in Chicago...

thedugan wrote:

Where do you get these, a Liquor Store? I can get a lot of beers at the local Wally-mart, but don't venture out much to the (somewhat out of the way) Liquor Store. I can occasionally get Sake at the Asian Gorocery Stores...

We have "Package Stores" here, but the "Buckle in the Bible Belt" isn't the best-served place to buy spirits...they're comparatively rare given the size of the town I live in - anyone in Fort Worth?

Anyone know where I can find a Strohs? I could find it all over the place in the late 70's in Chicago...

According to beeradvocate.com, the best beer stores in the DFW area are the  Central Markets and Majestic Liquors.

Stroh's Brewing when under in 1999 and the label was sold to Pabst Brewing, and according to Pabst's website, they don't distribute Stroh's to Texas.

Currently in my fridge:
Summit Scandia (Belgian Wit)
Surly Furious (American IPA)
Surly Bender (American Brown Ale)
Bells Hop Slam (Imperial IPA)
New Glarus Belgian Red (Belgian Sour beer with lots of Cherries)
New Glarus Bourbon Barrel Aged Dopplebock
Avery Czar Imperial Stout

(other than space games my other hobby is homebrewing and beer judging, I am a BJCP.com certified beer judge)

I'm leaning more and more to the stouts these days, but Guinness is my true love.

I don't care what anyone says about it, nowadays it's everywhere and it's always the same creamy goodness.

In the DFW area, World Market also has a pretty good selection if there's one around you anywhere. We go to the one in Firewheel in Garland.

tabascojunkie wrote:

In the DFW area, World Market also has a pretty good selection if there's one around you anywhere. We go to the one in Firewheel in Garland.

Geez, Garland has got to be a good 50 miles away. I live in the 'Alliance Corridor' area. I hear World Market ads on radio periodically.

I'm not sure what the name of the liquor store is that's west of here on Western Center. I've seen quite a few Majestic Stores - most of them ought to be called 'Seedy's'.....
smile

FWIW, to those of you not living in the DFW area, we're not exactly 'the sticks' - we've got a population in Tarrant and Dallas counties of over 6 Million now.

There HAS to be someone around that plays MJ12 stuff that has a crappy shift compatible with mine.....

jimbeau wrote:

I'm leaning more and more to the stouts these days, but Guinness is my true love.

I don't care what anyone says about it, nowadays it's everywhere and it's always the same creamy goodness.

Nothing WRONG with Guiness, just not my cup o'tea...I'll drink it if need be. I have to REAL picky about what I eat and drink nowadays...

thedugan wrote:

There HAS to be someone around that plays MJ12 stuff that has a crappy shift compatible with mine.....

I'm the only person I know of anywhere near me that plays any MJ12 games. You might be the nearest one.

Are you going to Reapercon? I might be persuaded to bring along some ships this year, if you can bring a map and rules.

tabascojunkie wrote:
thedugan wrote:

I'm the only person I know of anywhere near me that plays any MJ12 games. You might be the nearest one.

Dang, and you're like at least 40 miles away....Played RPGs for a few weeks a few years back with a group in Allen - that's definitely over 50.

I think PLAYING is somewhat misleading - the only time I've had a chance to actually SIT DOWN AND PLAY was Starmada a few years ago with the afore-mentioned RPG group. They liked the mecha game where you fueled your mech with beer better - they're RPGer's, thus the weirdness.

No way they wanted to play SFB....
smile

FWIW, I'm off on Thursdays and every other Wednesday - I'm 'off' Friday, but I have to be at work at 22:30, so I sleep Friday afternoon/evening.

Last time I had a regular group was in the mid-80's....

SFB, Rolemaster, and Runequest were the order of the day. I still have an aversion to percentile based systems - D6's - not so much. Best time ever was with our group in the Submarine Barracks at Pearl Harbor - Advanced D&D with chunks from Paranoia and Arduin....

anvil242 wrote:

Are you going to Reapercon? I might be persuaded to bring along some ships this year, if you can bring a map and rules.

I don't know if you're talking to me, but when/where is Reapercon?

I've never gone to a con....

Reapercon is in Denton, TX May 15-18.
http://www.reapermini.com/ReaperCon

I was talking to TobascoJunkie, as I know him from the Reaper boards, but I'm sure all would be welcome. They play CAV and Warlord there mostly, since they are the publishers of those games

Yup, I'll be there. I'll have to ask if we can play some Starmada while we're there. They're not real big on other people's games being played there, but hey, it's their party. I know last year Froggy and I played some Full Thrust. He got permission from Ed.

I'd love to play a game or two.

Kinda doubt we could sneak in that game of Ares though.  :wink: