Topic: New Effectors, Augmentations, Etc

Thought I'd compile a list of things that have been requested, or that would make my conversion work easier. Any suggestions are welcome, including "ignore it, it's hell to balance".

Covering Computer: would it be possible to have a cheaper version of this that could only cover with a sidearm, for example? I ask with reference to the short range extra weapons and firing systems on UNE behemoth infantry.

Fire Twice: how about an augmentation to let a figure fire twice? I'm thinking Demian might consider Weapon Link and Torrential Fire to cover this adequately...

Reinforced Armour (Infantry): being able to augment infantry frames to have a better AR than the rest of their squad would stop the situation where every single Infranite standard unit is exclusive...

Jump Once (units that get literally thrown into the fray, or have single-use or long cool-time jetpacks, or which can overdrive their ground effect or antigrav engines).

Fly Once (gliders that cruise in, Ewok style, but then have to fight it out on foot once they've hit the ground).

Re: New Effectors, Augmentations, Etc

how about a "phase movment"....basically like the warp spiders from 40k, since there is no way to do this now, terrain would make no difference where you move.

and is there any way to add an extra DC to size 1 or 2 models ?????

Hmmm, maybe we could start collecting ideas and any playtesting input to begin writing a "player-designed augmentation sheet".

A few comments:

@SW: Covering computer for sidearms only?  Definitely a possibility.  If you wanted to try it out, a quick 1/3x mulitplier should suffice.  I like the idea of one-time jump packs and also "gliders", with the stipulation that the latter must always begin the game at flight level one or higher and cannot climb.  Fire twice is tricky, because it would so vary in point cost between troopers...still, as an individual aug. one-off it's certainly point costable - one can just say that it doubles the cost of the weapon and adds a +10 PV premium on top of that.  Reinforced armor is a bit of an oversight on my part - right now, you can add a field save to leaders, but not extra armor without making the unit exclusive.  Try out a +10 PV plus +5 PV per new AR integer less than zero (if applicable).  So, going from +1 to 0 costs 10 PV, 0 to -1 costs 15 PV, -1 to -2 costs 20 PV and -2 to -3 costs 25 PV.  It should be an individual, not a unit augmentation, to avoid any possibility of min/max-ing.

@McBane: you anticipate me!  Actually, the Starslayer army list has a movement type called "phase" that allows figures to "walk through" certain terrain.  Since a publication of this list would probably wait for artwork, I might just add the formal rules for now.

@Brother Jim: The idea behind Defiance is that most models will die to a well-placed shot.  I do, however, see that some backgrounds have small troopers that are "extra extra tough".  If your opponents agree, one option is to use the size 3 chart for size one and two figures, with the restriction that MV and AR combos are restricted to those from the size 1 or 2 chart.  Make sense?

Well, in terms of 2-kill man-sized figures, a face-value reading of the Space marine bio-engineering fluff (not recommended for anyone with any medical general-knowledge let alone training) implies that a SM can survive with a lobe of his brain, one of his hearts, and any combination of limbs shot clean off. Ignoring completely the fact that in the actual stat-line this makes him no tougher (T4) (and that with a lower wound capacity (W) ) than an unaugmented but quite heroic human, it is implied that he can survive SEVERAL well placed and even brutally effective shots; moreover most if not all of his Power Armour systems are replicated by one or more biotech systems, so a normally "damaging" shot in terms of mere mortal PI systems is completely useless, as the SM just drops back to his "innate" passive sensor suite/ atmosphere filtering/ ballistic armour.

And to REALLY kill an ork you have to cut his head off and sew his mouth shut and wait for starvation to finish him off..........

A quick clarification: the covering computer adds 1/3 to the final cost of the sidearm?

A quick clarification: the covering computer adds 1/3 to the final cost of the sidearm?

No, I meant try it as a "sidearm covering computer" that is 1/3 of the normal covering computer cost.

big_smile actually, you just need a BIG bottle of fungicide to kill an ork lol

Brother Jim wrote:

big_smile actually, you just need a BIG bottle of fungicide to kill an ork lol

Try telling that to Aragorn...  smile

Stepping on them with a Titan works pretty well, too.

Rich

Aaaaaaaah........but LOTR orcs are very different from 40K orks.

the fluff in 3rd ed 40K (haven't read 4th yet) actually states that orks are a genetically engineered super fungus slave race made by some long gone ancient race.   FYI..........YMMV....... big_smile

and stepping on them with a titan just releases spores that grow more orks eventually.......but it does indeed kill the one stepped on :twisted: .