Topic: Semi - 2D Counters

Hello All,

I am currently working on an idea....
I recently bought some of those Star Wars card ships.... and realized that making them would not be that difficult. I am experimenting with several programs right now, and when I am done, I plan on making PDF's with ships that you could print, back with card (if needed) and cut out to make a full range of counters available, for a number of various genre and settings... to include home - made designs. I think I can come up with the means to make easily designed counters that would look very good.

Unfortunately, I recently had to completely re-format my hard drive (gotta love viruses), so I lost all of the images I had already collected.
I would very much appreciate any images that people would like to send, and also permission for some of the home designed ships already here... to include the ones from Googleplex, and also, if Dan does not mind, the ones in the current Starmada Books.

Once done, Dan, I can make the book ships available to you, and you can decide if you want to host them on the site, or include them with the books... I'd just love to see counters available, so that people can dive right in and have a great game with all the visual appeal as well.

Thanks Much
Nahuris / John

Re: Semi - 2D Counters

Np John...though my comp isn't fully back up to snuff yet. Still alot of my program disks packed from the move waiting space to unpack.  :?

Nahuris wrote:

Once done, Dan, I can make the book ships available to you, and you can decide if you want to host them on the site, or include them with the books... I'd just love to see counters available, so that people can dive right in and have a great game with all the visual appeal as well.

It's a really great idea, and one that I had briefly thought about as well.

The difficulty, however, is not so much in creating the "counters"/minis, but in producing them. The nice thing about the punch-out card minis on the market now is that they are on really sturdy plastic, and more importantly, are pre-cut. So all you have to do is punch them out and assemble.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Would AV:T-style box minis be of interest?

I've got a web app for Squadron Strike that will let anyone who's got 6-views of a ship make a box mini.  It generates PDF pages that can be printed on card stock and cut out with an Exacto knife or scissors.

I'll be perfectly happy to give Mike or whomever else Dan asks access to it to run some tests, with a non-expiring serial number. Dan can then have something to sell for cheap, or give away as a support item.

Note - this will also give that person access to the Squadron Strike playtest areas on my forums; preference goes to someone who'll poke holes in my game so I can fix them. smile

I've done some box style figs, and they work well -- usually I wrap the "box" around a piece of foam to help reinforce it for use ... also an idea we can incorporate here.

My primary hope is to have them in PDF version - that way, anyone can print needed figs for a game.

I am currently working on a Miranda Class ship for Star Trek (it's an easy set up) So far, I have it set with a top view, and with the nacelles already attached directly to the hull... the roll bar and torp box are separate. You print in on card, fold the nacelles down and the roll bar folds across with tabs on the end that fit in slots on the hull...

To make it more durable, I cut a small piece of foam board (a little thicker than poster board) in the shape of the hull, and glued it to the underside of the hull. As soon as I get some pics going, I'll upload them for people to look at.

I am also currently looking at a Constitution class, with a fold over inverted V-shaped secondary hull, ect. 

However, they do not need to be Trek ships, and I would prefer that they be generic designs, or ones from the current Starmada books (with permission), so as to not violate any copyrights.

In the end... I would love to create printable 3D counters in paper... fold and glue along tabs, ect.... and make them available to package with the games... some of it I can do with programs, and some of it, I am doing by hand to ensure that it will always be good quality, and that it won't be a difficult job assembling them.....

With the price of figs rising due to increased cost of material, as well as increased cost of shipping and transport, I'd like to make an economical way to share the hobby.

Nahuris

[Edit]

P.S. I do have a copy of Pepakura - and am working with it right now -- my goal with that is to get the final product down to the same scale as readily available figs - most of what I've seen so far as Pep files are fairly large -- will keep everyone updated on my experiments.

Nahuris

hmm...placemarker...

Todd Zircher sent (you can tell Starmada is getting more and more mainstream - we're starting to cross-pollinate) me a DOC format box template - never played with it.

Color me interested.

Not interested enough to get involved in ANOTHER game project, unfortunately, I'm so damn busy with OTHER stuff (graduation coming up, wife's got dental issues, needs a driving license, I need to change insurance companies, the list is endless....) that I'm not as involved in stuff that I'd LIKE to be involved in.

If Dan's game, I'll gladly render ships for Dan to stick on anything he deems needs a ship on it...

Re: Pepakura....

Interesting program, but if you're looking to do 'Pirates of the Spanish Main'-style ships, you're better off doing it by hand. There's a website that does exactly what you're talking about - but the name escapes me right now

I got in at 2:30 AM - worked overtime, took wife to dentist early this morning - I'm REALLY out there right now...even after a 3 hour nap.

Contact me off list if Dan's willing to let you do any of the ships in the recent Grumm book. I'll follow up on anything Dan agrees to in regard to making minis. Dan's the guy with the other set of minis - the 'usual process' would've taken too long, so Dan did those.

Oh, and I'd stay away from trek stuff. Not only copyrighted, and Paramount's sue-happy, but Dan's considering doing an SFB version of Starmada (or something) for ADB...

You could for personal stuff, but you can get actual metal versions of those....
smile

Now, Mechs - THOSE would be a natural for Pepakura...

if we're going to do minis. lets do MINIs!

I need 6 "lines" and a website.

I can do the website, but the minis themselves... I have no talent...

jimbeau wrote:

I can do the website, but the minis themselves... I have no talent...

I agree, actually - I can output a DXF file from DOGA, but that's only useful if someone has access to Rapid Prototype equipment.

I will model/render stuff for whatever Dan will allow, and Box minis are better than counters, but I'd like actual minis - plastic or metal, I don't care....
smile

I wonder with VBAM having miniatures for their games if MJ12 couldn't talk to them about the possiblity of working with them to make *gasp* canon starships in pewter!

Another note, have you seen Wormhole from www.Worldworksgames.com  A miniature game that has paper miniatures.  Might give ya all some ideas (there are videos to watch how to put the ships together even)!

-Bren

Mike, is there a "watertight" checker in DoGA?

I ask because what caused our minis to get produced was Charles finding a plug in that would check his Lightwave models for being watertight.

I know how to get minis into production, if you guys can make watertight .STL files.

jimbeau wrote:

We have eight.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

would be nice to see the IS ships really filling out this way also... big_smile

Ken_Burnside wrote:

Mike, is there a "watertight" checker in DoGA?

I ask because what caused our minis to get produced was Charles finding a plug in that would check his Lightwave models for being watertight.

I know how to get minis into production, if you guys can make watertight .STL files.

I've got Lightwave...version 8. I'm just not up to speed on the interface - DOGA does everything I need to do right now, and usually faster.

If you can point me to the plugin, that would be great!
smile

I don't think that DOGA has anything in the way of plugins.

DOGA is a no plugin entity. Making watertight models is very hard in doga. Just ask 'jimbeau'? I think it was me and him who did some experiments and had to port from doga to blender as dxf.

Ultimately and due to this I am learning LW8. Its not so bad for me as I can work in 3DSMax abit but I fancy LW.
Really for minis and better models LW or 3DS or whatever is the route. Even Metasequia could be worth trying to. (And that does do plugins but not the one Ken might be on about)

I can design damn fine stuff and would like to see more as minis. (trumpet blown)

I would be rather interested in this watertight plugin. I have also heard Rhino is good for .stl format stuff as well.

Oh yeah somewhere I did a box mini from Taz's template of a ship from one of the VBAM games, it looked rather good.

there was no porting, I "rebuilt" the minis from the doga imports.

A time intensive experiment, but one I got darn good at.

It was cool because I got to see a stylistic difference in how stuff was put together and it made is kind of fun.

Alas, the designs I see in the S:AE books are freaky cool...

I really like the ship designs in S:AE and would love to see them in miniature form!  I guess the issue is the costs and time to make them 'watertight'.  The time there isn't much to do, but for cost, you could always do some form of pre-sales!

-Bren

I spent a few hours looking for that plugin for Lightwave, no luck yet. There's TONS of plugins out there....

If Ken can get the thing from Charles, that'd be cool....wait a tick....email sent...

I had to stay home today and watch the wife after she had a tooth pulled anyway, they had to sedate her for it. I had the Military Channel going - found some other neat stuff too, so it's not like it was a complete waste of time.

jygro wrote:

I really like the ship designs in S:AE and would love to see them in miniature form!  I guess the issue is the costs and time to make them 'watertight'.  The time there isn't much to do, but for cost, you could always do some form of pre-sales!

-Bren

I'd just need the original models and I can make them water tight...

http://www.marcam.de/Eng/Download/Content.htm

..the veiwer that Charles Oines used to see where the open spots are in the models.

Jim, all I need is the go ahead from Dan...how about DXF, would that work?

yup

jimbeau wrote:

there was no porting, I "rebuilt" the minis from the doga imports.
A time intensive experiment, but one I got darn good at.
It was cool because I got to see a stylistic difference in how stuff was put together and it made is kind of fun.

Sorry Jim I was not aware of that. Well the ship you did do is probably going to be my 1st test 3D model I build. The Stirling Class CA. Hopefully.

Really Doga is not good for this work as basically its a box of bits you stick together like kitbashing. Yes its fast which is good, but when the main hull is day made of 10 different parts instead of one shape, its why they are not so watertight.

For the record I have ported a DXF model from DOga to LW and it looked ok, if I can find it I might try that plugin to say how bad it was.

In fact I think it was one of those test pieces for that aborted work I did for AV:T... When AV:T came out I could see a part of it on one of the AV:T ships...... I mentioned this to Charles and he said yes it was IIRC..

Ian

I'd love the idea of solid minis -- was initially trying to design something that we could include with the game...LOL.
I have no experience with software rendering...
I am game to work on any of these ideas.... there is no such thing as owning too many figs.

Nahuris

Nahuris wrote:

I'd love the idea of solid minis -- was initially trying to design something that we could include with the game...LOL.
I have no experience with software rendering...
I am game to work on any of these ideas.... there is no such thing as owning too many figs.

Nahuris

sure....you say that now!  Wait til after the floor joists start cracking due to pewter weight!  lol

When you run out of unpainted minis, you die.

Give the gift of life.  Give minis to your gamer friends.  Their wives will eventually understand.