Topic: Wardogs now available

Majestic Twelve Games is pleased to announce the release of our newest game, Wardogs.

The year is 3329, and the stars are trembling with the angry footsteps of men and machines. Earth has been laid waste -- an act of retribution and defiance committed by the colonies she spawned decades before. Although the horror of her death put a stop to all-out war between the colonies, reinforced by the sullen, crimson glow of her corpse, brother still battles brother. For power; for resources; for some other imagined slight or weakly-rationalized reason: it matters not. They send forth their Wardogs to do battle with their enemies on dozens of worlds and moons in a war that seems endless. Throughout the colonies, people look skywards to see a shooting star not in awe of the cosmos, but in trepidation of yet another battle to come.

Man has always been his own worst enemy.

Wardogs puts players in charge of mercenary forces hired by independent colonies, colonial militia, or the military of one of the four burgeoning multi-system nations that exist in the thirty-fourth century. Included in this book are record sheets for three dozen Wardog units, plus eleven standard infantry squad types typically found deployed among the twelve independent colonies and four stellar nations. The rocky road Man has traveled to reach the stars and the events that came after are given in enough detail to provide a feel for this default setting without being so detailed that the players cannot make it their own.

Nor are players limited to the units and timeline provided. Construction rules allow for development of mecha, armored vehicles, aircraft, naval landing and riverine craft, buildings, and infantry types ranging from steampunk to beyond the thirty-fourth century. In addition, players can create almost 900 different planetary environmental conditions in which to do battle with the Hostile Environment rules. Optional rules are also included for infantry morale, pilot skill advancement, and integrating Wardogs with Starmada.

For more information about this and all our products, please visit the Majestic Twelve Games web site: www.mj12games.com

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Wardogs now available

Is this a miniatures game? A hex-based game?

MadSeason wrote:

Is this a miniatures game? A hex-based game?

Both.  Rules are written from a hex perspective but mention is made on how to play without hexes.

Hexes? Sold.

Eeek! There is a painful (on the eye!) issue with all the L's in the PDF. Looks like they have been replaced with bold | marks.

MadSeason wrote:

Eeek! There is a painful (on the eye!) issue with all the L's in the PDF. Looks like they have been replaced with bold | marks.

It's an electronic glitch with the pdf reading the font apparently... :?

MadSeason wrote:

It goes away when the file is printed -- but for some reason the page layout software used does some funky things when the PDF is viewed on the screen.

We are working to fix the problem, and you will receive an updated file once it is fixed.

(And we won't be using that software anymore, right Todd? smile)

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Nope...it's gettin severely spanked by the delete button. wink

Neat! My stuff suffered a bit from being partially built with pre-revision construction, but glad to see it finally out. smile

(Then again, it may work anyway, if you can think they may not have the same multiplicity of sophistication that a full-on government).

already number 2 on the sci-fi games at RPGNow. big_smile

go0gleplex wrote:

already number 2 on the sci-fi games at RPGNow. big_smile

You dig giant robots/
I dig giant robots/
Chicks dig giant robots.

smile

MadSeason wrote:

Okay, the file has been corrected. If you did not get notice of the update from RPGNow, please let me know via PM or email.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Thanks for the quick update -- looks much better!

I'd love to see a demo version before buying the full one. The subject looks very interesting and I enjoy your other products, but I would like to see how different it is from other 'mecha' games.

Yes, you spoiled me with your free demo versions... tongue

mahon wrote:

I'd love to see a demo version before buying the full one. The subject looks very interesting and I enjoy your other products, but I would like to see how different it is from other 'mecha' games.

Yes, you spoiled me with your free demo versions... tongue

I won't comment on the demo rules, but I'll try to answer the second half of the question.

Movement is pretty similar to some of the other games out there.  I have to admit, there's only so much variation that can be made on that front.

Combat and damage are where the major differences are.  You lock your target(s) up first then anything you have in range and arc can fired at it.  Destroying the unit doesn't require you to strip away armor points or such. Your shot has one of three results. Nothing (this can be a miss or deflection), damages the armor but doesn't penetrate, or it punches a hole in the armor and messes up something inside the target...possibly destroying it.  This means infantry with a good heavy weapon can make even an assault unit pilot break into a cold sweat.  I tried to approach the whole system from a real world effect perspective as much as possible...and yet keep it fun, playable, and customizable.  As a result...movement and tactics play a major role in victory...

Then there is the design system.  Much like Starmada, it gives you a level of flexibility in building your units and weapons that few, if any, other games have.  And as stated, by altering the tech level you can play steampunk era...having ponderous walkers with 16# cannon or more modern WWII era style units...or the futuristic stuff which is where most mecha games tend to exist at.

And of course being able to tie into Starmada for doing multi-planetary campaigning is a big bonus in my opinion.  smile

Hope this helps.

Awesome!  I have been hoping to see this out since the talk about the system.  If I didn't lose the computer oh so long ago, I would still have the eariest playtest version.  Glad to see it in print!

-Bren

I did art for it ! Yeah!

Ian!

The art is top notch and the units in the book would be a sweet miniatures line (if anyone had the startup costs).

-Bren