Topic: Starlancer

I hope some here still remeber Starlancer, a spin off to the Wing Commander game line. Althought it wasn't as good as its parent game, the setting was quite interesting. I'm presently thinking of one thing. How would the have progressed? At the end, the Alliance and Coalition are on an equal level. As per Freelancer, the Sleeper Ships have already been started due to the surprise attack of the Coalition and are out of the picture.
What would the situation be in, let us say 25 years? Would the full scale war have deteriorated into a cold war or would it still be hot?

My personal opinion is that the latter would have occured.
Find attached a playtest pack of Coalition ships of 2188.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/mj1 … 20Edition/

Ah, and one last thing I have mention. Although most ships list a carrier score, only ones whose name includes "Carrier" may carry any fighters. All other ships must choose Strikers or Seekers form the torpedo.pfd
(my idea to reflect the heavy use ot torpedoes in this setting)

Enjoy and please comment. My brother's presently working on the Alliance but he still needs some time.

Re: Starlancer

I'm getting a document not found...

Link update.  8)

OK.... you've got my attention.... especially since I have a couple of the coalition cruisers partially done on my scratch build table......

Nahuris

As I said, it's sat in a possible future of the univers taking the surprise attack as "mark zero" for full blown war. I'm still thinking on giving the Coalition some "stealth cruisers" as some fighters in the original game already possessed a cloaking device.

Actually, in the opening video, I seem to remember seeing some of the capital ships shimmer into view with the fighters... have to go back and watch it again.

I can definitely see the Coalition with cloaking... but then again, the Alliance also had the Shroud fighter, so they were developing it as well.

Nahuris

You mean something like this?

408) Ledwedev-class Coalition Stealth Cruiser

Hull: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1             

Engines: 4 4 4 3 3 2 2 2 1 1             

Shields: 3 3 3 3 2 2 2 1 1 1             

Weapons:

1:XYZ 2:XYZ 3:XY 4:2Y 5:2Y 6:YZ

X: Meson Cannon: 4/8/12, 2/5+/1/2

[AB][AB][AC][BD]

Y: Particle Gun: 3/6/9, 1/4+/1/1

[AB][AB][AC][AC][AC][BD][BD][BD][CE][CE][DF][DF]

Z: Heavy Meson Cannon: 4/8/12, 2/4+/1/2

[G][G][G][G][G]

Special: Cloaking Device; Launch Tubes; Hyperdrive; Carrier (150)

Ledwedev-class Coalition Stealth Cruiser

Although both Coalition and Alliance possess full cloaking technology the Ledwedev Cruiser is the first ship which can cloak. Fighters on both sides have been using cloaks since the first day of the conflict, the Coalition on Elite Fighter Squadrons and bombers while the Alliance only employed it on the Shade. More designs evolved since these early days but capital ships were until now only able to mask their signature and not to become completely invisible both to sensors and the human eye. The Ledwedev-Class can both, although it comes at a cost. Its shields are only on par with most destroyers making it extremely vulnerable when spotted and due to high power requirements of the cloaking device only standard and heavy Meson Cannons could be implemented. A rapid fire Cap-Missile Launcher tries to compensate for this but with a limited payload this is questionable. Its main batteries are also only able to fire at mid range although this wasn't seen as a problem during the design process as the cruiser is intended as Strike Cruiser/Raider behind enemy lines. It is to be seen if the Ledwedev-Class is only proof of concept or a forbearer for new ship classes using cloaking technology as standard. Only few ships of this class exist and only one has been lost to the Alliance until now. What reaction the Alliance may come up with is not know by now. But rumours circulate about an own stealth project for a dreadnought/carrier as mobile command centre undetected in Coalition space.