Re: Other Items for Wardogs

Cloak was really discussed in the very early versions of the rules.  It was not included as a separate system for a variety of reasons. 

Visual doesn't mask heat...  Star Fist books are a good one on this where the uniforms are camo/cloaks and are detectable by thermal scans.  If you were to use a cloak device in your own games, I would make it a bonus defense against melee combat only for this reason.  But it's up to you in the end. wink

Gee i have alot of ideas this day,  big_smile

Is there a provision for making probe type units.

This is a idea for one but not sure

Scout Probe:

Idea a fast AI unit able to scout out enemy locations and not be detected.

Unit Size 1 + Tech Level 5 or 6 + Several pieces of equipment*

Unit has No Arms or Legs.

*Enhanced Sensors, AI Modification, Anti-Grav Modification, TAR, Stealth Modification.

f.whitfield wrote:

Gee i have alot of ideas this day,  big_smile

Is there a provision for making probe type units.

This is a idea for one but not sure

Scout Probe:

Idea a fast AI unit able to scout out enemy locations and not be detected.

Unit Size 1 + Tech Level 5 or 6 + Several pieces of equipment*

Unit has No Arms or Legs.

*Enhanced Sensors, AI Modification, Anti-Grav Modification, TAR, Stealth Modification.

This would be more under a Unit, either AV or Mecha as opposed to equipment.  Nothing says that something like this would be illegal either.

Mentions of other things in the works:

Dropship, Ortillery, and Surface to Space Weapons...

for that warm and fuzzy feeling during an invasion. :twisted:

Any chance of being able to port a Gundam Dynames type mecha into the game. smile

fodder wrote:

Any chance of being able to port a Gundam Dynames type mecha into the game. smile

Judging from the wiki info, I don't see why you can't stat up something of this nature...though to be honest, it may not be a direct conversion without some tinkering/customizing of the rules for your game. If you want a non-tinker version, you should be able to get pretty close.

I was refering to possibility of the surface to space weapons.  The Dynames in one episode shot at a spaceship in orbit around the Earth. Would it be possible to have something like that? You would be able to sort of do counterbattery on ortillery.

fodder wrote:

I was refering to possibility of the surface to space weapons.  The Dynames in one episode shot at a spaceship in orbit around the Earth. Would it be possible to have something like that? You would be able to sort of do counterbattery on ortillery.

Okay...gotchya. 

That's a bit beyond the game scale for a mech or tank unit.  There is something in the works emplacement-wise however...but I'm not gonna do more than mention that. wink

However, if you're already customizing the game for your setting, nothing says you can't add something in along the lines of a BIG GUN or ARTILLERY.  Maybe us a design range of 10 or such even.

OOHH OOH I know. How about rules for giant monsters ala King Kong or Godzilla?

fodder wrote:

You're the second person to be tempting me with "GODZILLA" rules...(of course Godzilla rules...how can he NOT!?!)  :twisted:

What could be better than Monsterpocolpse dont the right way??  :mrgreen:

Giant monsters could be fudged in under the current rules.

Giant Frosty Rubber Cockroach
Size: 10
AR: 7
MP: 5
Thermal: 5 (he's frosty...c'mon!)
Stability: +4 (all those legs)

Equip:
Full Flight (wings are wonderful)
Legs (4)
Arms w/claws (2)
Enhanced sensors (lvl 1) (antenna)

Weapons:
Frosty Eye Beams
Range: 3
ROF: 1
DMG: 4
Ammo: NA
Enhancement: Extra DMG

Arm Blades (x2)
Range: 1
ROF: 1
DMG: 2
Ammo: NA
Enhancement: Super Dense

(no...I didn't do the math for it...this is JUST an example...we repeat...JUST an example...good-bye LA) lol

Here you go! This is just a shortlist, but here's a list of Combat Walker minis that would be perfect for Wardogs.

28mm:
AT-43
Urban War

15mm:
Gear Krieg

10mm:
CAV
Heavy Gear
Mechwarrior: Age of Destruction
6mm:
Battletech
Rogue Legion
Dirt Side II and here
Future Wars (see the middle of the page DF-W01/ DFW02)
Mecha Carnage
Brigade Models Cronus Mechs(doesn't appear to be available for sale any more)
Dark Realm
Heavy Gear Fleet Scale
Jovian Chronicles
Meck Wars
Gauntlet Mecha (Only one model but it is rather neat looking)

I know I probably missed some stuff, but I figured you'd get a kick out of it. especially if you've ever wanted to build your own massive mech force.

go0gleplex wrote:
fodder wrote:

You're the second person to be tempting me with "GODZILLA" rules...(of course Godzilla rules...how can he NOT!?!)  :twisted:

The first person in question being me...

big_smile

Ya know, if you can reasonably use WARDOGS for it, rather than trying to adapt something else or writing a new rule set, I'd be more than happy to start working on that again....

big_smile

Of course, I'd rather finish the OTHER thing we're working on first - THEN we can do WARDOGS: KAIJU!

big_smile

I'd propose that any adaptation that involves Kaiju (ie Giant Monsters and Robos) be a new setting along the lines of "The Grumm Wars" for Starmada.....

So I need to add "Kaiju" rules/setting to my radar along with the Wardogs: RPG, eh? (oh...did I say that out loud?  :twisted: )

go0gleplex wrote:

So I need to add "Kaiju" rules/setting to my radar along with the Wardogs: RPG, eh? (oh...did I say that out loud?  :twisted: )

YOU SAID IT OUT LOUD YOU HAVE TO DO IT!!! **runs**

go0gleplex wrote:

What the heck happened to my post....maybe I timed out.

I'd make the RPG (if you're having one) and a 'Kaiju' game seperate. It doesn't HAVE to be in the Wardogs ruleset - I initially started bugging the ARES crowd - no bites so far... sad

Given how easy it is already to create Kaiju with the existing rules, all I had in mind was a few pages at most of simple customization stuff. No need for a whole big thing.

The RPG is something down the road a ways. Again more of a sourcebook than a new game for a system that I use for FRPG I think would fit very well. Got to get the stuff I'm already committed to (for) done first...which is about 3-5 other projects including the two I'm currently spending time on. smile

go0gleplex wrote:

Given how easy it is already to create Kaiju with the existing rules, all I had in mind was a few pages at most of simple customization stuff. No need for a whole big thing.

The RPG is something down the road a ways. Again more of a sourcebook than a new game for a system that I use for FRPG I think would fit very well. Got to get the stuff I'm already committed to (for) done first...which is about 3-5 other projects including the two I'm currently spending time on. smile

Would you mind enumerating those for me? Offlist is fine, and I might be able to help....maybe. Crap keeps raising it's ugly, misshapen, mutant cranium....took in the truck the FORTH time (damn computer controlled starter interlocks - I have a good mind to rig a bypass...ugly, but I can START the damn thing)

As painful as it is to admit, I do forget mechanics (so I'd have to go review my PDF), but from what little I recall, it DOES seem like WARDOGS might be a better fit than ARES. I'll ponder that while assembling my resources for TWERPS (a side project I've been meaning to do)...

I'll ponder that while assembling my resources for TWERPS (a side project I've been meaning to do)...

TWERPS?  As in Reindeer Games TWERPS?  The Worlds Easiest Roleplaying System?

koyodude wrote:

I'll ponder that while assembling my resources for TWERPS (a side project I've been meaning to do)...

TWERPS?  As in Reindeer Games TWERPS?  The Worlds Easiest Roleplaying System?

Yeah...that one.

It's in the "Great pile of stuff I'll get to"....

:roll:

wow....I was introduced to that game about ten years ago, and you're the only other person Ive ever heard reference it since.  I thought it had fallen off everybodys radar, if it ever was on peoples radar to begin with.

koyodude wrote:

wow....I was introduced to that game about ten years ago, and you're the only other person Ive ever heard reference it since.  I thought it had fallen off everybodys radar, if it ever was on peoples radar to begin with.

Heh, so we're both masters of the obscure....
big_smile

I was gaming when it came out, and remember seeing it in the local (after a fashion) gaming store. I also remember thinking it was more a joke than a real game, but I've come to realize that the point was that games had gotten TOO complicated. The game was a reaction to the endless, unnecessary details in RPGs, as well as being a joke of sorts. It was not taken seriously by anyone i was associated with back then - the trend back then was to pile on endless levels of complication, in an attempt to be more "realistic". I figured this out when I had been playing Rolemaster for a year and  half.....
sad

There's a Yahoo Group for it, IIRC, it's called "How To Do Everything".

scribble scribble scribble... wink