Topic: Seriously, though... what's next?

Okay, so the Summer was a bit more busy than I'd anticipated, and the Fall is starting out somewhat hectic, but I'm assuming I'll have more time in the near future to get back to what is really important -- GAME DESIGN!

We have several projects that are in various states of completion. Therefore, I'm putting up this poll to see what people think we should focus on.

Vote early, vote often! smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Seriously, though... what's next?

You forgot to add For the Masses 2e and "For the Macedonians"

jimbeau wrote:

You forgot to add For the Masses 2e and "For the Macedonians"

If progress on these games (or lack thereof) had anything to do with me, then I might have added them to the poll... wink

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I'm always up for more Starmada.....

Although I'd love a Fantasy RP game... I figure we could do a great job with it.

Nahuris

I'd say Assault Corps, but that's not up to Dan, I think.

Quantum Legions is the thing I'd most like to see MJ12's take on, myself.

As for a fantasy RPG, I'd also like to see that, but considering there are already a million billion games out there that do this sort of thing in just as many different ways (except for maybe that most of them still embrace the whole zero-to-hero schtick).

Of the choices, I'd say Quantum Legions, for no other reason than I've got some graphics for that already, and I'd like to get that one done. Having seem the mechanics, I'm also wondering if it will mutate and how well it's going to be received.

I'd also like to see the next Iron Stars supplement, or the next Starmada supplement done (yeah, Todd, I know...).

I'm also somewhat enamored of seeing Space Fleet Omega, and I've got some ideas on that one....

was wondering about IS myself...:)

I wasn't even THINKING anything Mike...*L*  Just started doing my background researching for the fluff stuff...which is gonna take me a good while at the current rate of things... :roll:

That's going just fine. I'm already working on more ships.

Skirmish with RPG elements so I can power-up my troupe over the course of a campaign. I'd never get to play it but lots of people like that stuff.

I think a fantasy (sci-fi) system that has the ability to upgrade your band of characters would be a nice touch (modifying Ares perhaps) so you could run campaigns over time and have your characters grow, but also a 'point' system so you can make 'balanced' encounters/dungeons.

By the way, what is Quantum Legions?
-Bren

Now, I could see an upgraded Ares, with campaign-like elements, a Miniatures RPG, so to speak (did Pinnacle patent that?)

Ares plays fast enough that we could expand it.

Here's a thought too, that might encourage group dynamics... Each model/character contributes a die to the group pool, the amount and type are "payed for" i.e. d4 = 1 group point. d6 = 2, d8 = 4, or whatever.

Whenever a character needs a boost, they pull from the group pool.

Pinnacle system is nice, but it lacks in the complete 'design' aspect of things (I'm leary of their point costs frankly).  I think Ares would work well if you added a couple of things.  I think magic items is a big hole in the system (and they should just add to the final points of the character).

So a magical chainmail would say cost 15 pts that would just be added to the final price of an Ares miniature (so a person didn't have to recalulate the character's price every game.  I guess that would be the same for experience as well.  It would be just simpler then having to plug the character through the design process everytime the character levels up.

I do like the group pool idea.
-Bren

I disagree with the idea of not calculating the point cost each time. THat will prevent players from leveling up in the middle of an adventure.  When I did it, I assigned points to a character each time they killed a monster, they got 10% to dd to the total points.  You could recalculate the character after each fight.  It seemed to work well. 

For example, a low-level character might get 25 points to work with, if he kills two 20 point Bingo Monsters, he gets 4 points to recalculate with (suddenly he's a 29 point character and might be able to add a shield to his repertoire.)

I think it works really well. up to a certain point cost.

Magic items is a whole other story tho

Upgrading ARES to allow for 'stat increases' reminds me somewhat of Warhammer Fantasy Battles. I've not played WHFB, just that the concept sounds similiar.

..and it's not a bad idea.

Magic Items could also be stand-alone 'characters' if they could be activated by any player.

Doesn't look like this poll was all that helpful.  LOL!

Pretty much everything is tied.  Ares as a slight lead, but not a significant one.  Maybe you should just roll a die?  smile

Well, Sovereign Stars is out though...

Small sample size...

I voted for Starmada because i don't think Grand Fleets needs a second edition. I like the way it plays now.  An historical battle scenarios supplement would be nice. Or bats, ship stats, and potted history...

Ares and the hex-based squad game I don't play. So that leaves Starmada supplement as the one I'm hankering for.

dave-the-lost wrote:

I voted for Starmada because i don't think Grand Fleets needs a second edition. I like the way it plays now.  An historical battle scenarios supplement would be nice. Or bats, ship stats, and potted history...

Ares and the hex-based squad game I don't play. So that leaves Starmada supplement as the one I'm hankering for.

Like you I think that Grand Fleets doesn't need a second edition as much as a supplement.  So my vote for GF actually means a GF supplement.

I disagree.  From what I've heard of the supposed Grand Fleets second edition it sounds very nice.  Add to that a big launch for it could get GF more into the public view.  Its kinda obscure today, which is a shame.

Really I would be happy with anything that puts the games I like more in the public eye.

I really like way MJXII games play so anything that expands the player pool is a worthy endeavor.

If I knew more concrete details about some of the proposed projects that might sway my vote a bit...

Soulmage wrote:

I disagree.  From what I've heard of the supposed Grand Fleets second edition it sounds very nice.  Add to that a big launch for it could get GF more into the public view.  Its kinda obscure today, which is a shame.

Perhaps.  Of course I didn't even know there was anything even in discussion about a GF2e until you said "From what I've heard...."  :wink:

I am never really opposed to a 2nd Ed if it adds to the game, even if the new edition is more of a errata and format cleanup.   But I do think that supplements containing ship data and/or scenerio/order of battle information would be nice. 

Whether supplements pay or not is another thing  :shock:

murtalianconfederacy wrote:

Well, Sovereign Stars is out though...

I wouldn't say that.... smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Spence wrote:

I am never really opposed to a 2nd Ed if it adds to the game, even if the new edition is more of a errata and format cleanup.   But I do think that supplements containing ship data and/or scenerio/order of battle information would be nice. 

Whether supplements pay or not is another thing  :shock:

Let's be honest -- none of this is actually going to "pay", in the sense that I can quit my day job and do this 24/7...

Regarding GF2, I would say it's about 80% done (Kevin's waiting for me to get off my ass and finish the weapons data so he can churn out the ship data). And I doubt anyone's going to be disappointed with the improvements...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

Let's be honest -- none of this is actually going to "pay", in the sense that I can quit my day job and do this 24/7...

Hey there....It could happen...

Well it could... :wink:

cricket wrote:

Regarding GF2, I would say it's about 80% done (Kevin's waiting for me to get off my ass and finish the weapons data so he can churn out the ship data). And I doubt anyone's going to be disappointed with the improvements...

Woot!

Pre-Dread through WW1 is my favorite era! 

One day when I have a bit of time I need to sit down with my books and start converting the missing ships to GF. 

By the way, will there be much difference between GF1 and GF2 as far as ships data cards go?