Re: Seriously, though... what's next?

I voted Starmada because it's grand!
8-)
And... because there wasn´t another suplement for IRON STARS in the batch! :mrgreen:
neutral

I almost had to snort wine out of my nose when I read this.
Even though I've been involved with two out of the four from this list in the past, as far as I know nothing's going on for any of the four.
That's just sad, sad, and more sad.
wink
Kevin

No, but some things aren't on the list....

big_smile

underling wrote:

I almost had to snort wine out of my nose when I read this.
Even though I've been involved with two out of the four from this list in the past, as far as I know nothing's going on for any of the four.
That's just sad, sad, and more sad.
wink
Kevin

Yes, it is sad that more work isn't being done.

But I will say that one of them is close to completion. smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

thedugan wrote:

big_smile

That's all well and good, but I wasn't talking about anything not on the list.
Might be time to go back to publishing "unofficial" lists again.
SInce seeing anything in an actual book will only be after hell freezes over.
wink

underling wrote:
thedugan wrote:

big_smile

That's all well and good, but I wasn't talking about anything not on the list.
Might be time to go back to publishing "unofficial" lists again.
SInce seeing anything in an actual book will only be after hell freezes over.
wink

Let's look at the list....
The next Starmada supplement - "Hammer and Claw" wasn't that long ago...

Grand Fleets (2nd Ed.) - Gee, Kevin, what's holding THAT up.  tongue

The Sovereign Stars (3rd Ed.) - Eh, doesn't flip my levers.

ARES (3rd Ed.) - Has anyone given any thought to this? I don't see a lot of discussion about what needs to be done in the appropriate section of the forum....though Dan tossed out the idea of using it as the basis of a 'Kaiju'/Godzilla/Monster game in another section of the forum....

Quantum Legions (company-level hex-n-counter wargame) - I believe Dan's got Beta rules for this, is anyone interested?

I've said before that I see MJ12 as an 'almost' Open Source game company. Those of us that have helped with things from time to time ought to spend more time doing something useful....I don't mean to sound argumentative, bitching about things don't get us much of anywhere....

My opinion, anyway.  big_smile

What's been working?  As I said, some things are being worked on that aren't on the list....and I can't say what, that's Dan's perogative as 'head guy' when things get announced.

And yeah, Dan's slowed a bit since getting married, but you KNEW that was gonna happen.....
big_smile

thedugan wrote:

And yeah, Dan's slowed a bit since getting married, but you KNEW that was gonna happen.....

If someone doesn't slow a bit after getting married, it's because it didn't get married. wink

Blackronin wrote:
thedugan wrote:

If someone doesn't slow a bit after getting married, it's because it didn't get married. wink

Ya want slow...add kids to the mix.  wink

go0gleplex wrote:
Blackronin wrote:
thedugan wrote:

Ya want slow...add kids to the mix. wink

Ya want even slower... add wife's family to the mix.  big_smile

Okay! Getting depressing... :shock:

I love my wife.  smile

I had to say this last one or my internet connection would go... away.  8-)

thedugan wrote:

Dreadnoughts was the last Starmada supplement, in July -- six months back.

Actually, it's me.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Don't worry Ronin...

My mother-n-law lives with us here too.

I've got a couple irons in the fire...but lack of "quiet time" to actually concentrate on stuff or get into a writing frame of mind pretty well muddles the works.  :roll:

cricket wrote:
thedugan wrote:

Actually, it's me.

Sorry, Kevin....
:roll:

At least Dan doesn't have kids yet....
lol

I've three ALMOST done things on, and can't seem to get out of the quagmire to actually DO anything about them...

I'm interested in Quantum Legions. Of course, as one of those with young kids and a wife, I don't get out much anymore. So, I would love to help with playtesting -- but only if I can whip up a Vassal Mod to play it PBEM or online.

Cheers,
Kevin

thedugan wrote:
cricket wrote:
thedugan wrote:

Actually, it's me.

Sorry, Kevin....
:roll:
At least Dan doesn't have kids yet....
lol

No problem.
But you wouldn't believe how many numbers I've crunched for Grand Fleets and ARES. There's easily enough material for two or three supplements for EACH system. But the problem is that very few of us have the expertise to actually put together a professional looking book in Word, which is what Dan's been using. I can put together a nice looking document, but nothing I'd want to professionally publish. And I have yet to take the time to be able to draw nice looking diagrams in whatever system would work.
So that leaves Dan as the nozzle end of a really big funnel.

I've also started looking at a fantasy version of Quantum Legions, just because there NEEDS to be a fantasy version of Quantum Legions. The working tongue-in-cheek title is Battle Legions.
So there is work getting down, it's just getting done in a somewhat unorganized manner, and with no easy way to poop a finished product out the nozzle end of MJ-12's process flow funnel.
big_smile
Kevin

Gee, thanks for the little 'theater of the mind' moment...images that promise to be with me for some time.

Okay, I get it - and I don't envy Dan.

I've been working on (oh, for what - an hour last night?) re-writing Dan's alpha version of Quantum legions into a 'Kaiju' version. Obviously, I'm doing artwork, so I'm at the OTHER end of the funnel....

..well, there's another visual for ya...
big_smile

Oh dear God.

Please tell me Dan isn't doing page layout in Word...

(cringe)

Dan, it's not that bad!  Get off of that ledge!  We can find you help!

(Doing page layout in Word isn't quite as idiotic as doing it in Excel...but it's much more common, because Word tries to convince you that it's got page layout functionality.)

Ken_Burnside wrote:

Actually, yes. Yes I am.

I've tried Quark Xpress, I've used Adobe Pagemaker, and I honestly have yet to find anything I can't do in Word that I could have done with those.

(Probably more a commentary on my skills in Xpress/Pagemaker than an endorsement of Word's functionality... smile)

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

What about using Page Plus from Serif?

Not very expensive ( a whole lot cheaper than the biggies), cheaper still since older versions can be found for free.

Dead easy, even I can use it (see Anteatman and Octopodian booklets). Export as pdf for professional printing or web download. Been using it for a while.
Sound like an advert :oops:
Take a look:www.serif.com
Paul

What's wrong with Open Office? Not enough tools, Weird Layout, what?

It seems to me that the products that have been released using Word as the layout software have been pretty good.
Is there really a problem here?
And is it really worth the time and effort to learn yet *another* piece of software?

I learn new software for doing 3D art all the time...

In the never-ending quest to find that software that does everything for no effort in an ongoing effort to make comic style art that Dan likes.

...I knew that I needed to do something else this evening.

Ken_Burnside wrote:

Oh dear God.

(cringe)

(Doing page layout in Word isn't quite as idiotic as doing it in Excel...but it's much more common, because Word tries to convince you that it's got page layout functionality.)

I have tried and tried, but he won't listen.

jimbeau wrote:
Ken_Burnside wrote:

Oh dear God.

(cringe)

I have tried and tried, but he won't listen.

Don't you use a MAC? (cringing at the anticipated response)

cricket wrote:
Ken_Burnside wrote:

Actually, yes. Yes I am.

I've tried Quark Xpress, I've used Adobe Pagemaker, and I honestly have yet to find anything I can't do in Word that I could have done with those.

I use InDesign.

1) Better control of typography.
2) MUCH better control over page breaks, jumps, and setting master pages that vary by document section
3) A good indexing tool.
4) The ability to embed Photoshop and Illustrator documents directly - see something wrong, right click, edit the file, save, it automatically updates
5) The ability to package files for direct export to an offset printer.
6) Much better table functionality.
7) Vastly more robust style sheets.
8) Access to the One True Color Space (CMYK), and Swatches

... and more.

(Probably more a commentary on my skills in Xpress/Pagemaker than an endorsement of Word's functionality... smile)

XPress was painful to use, but very powerful once learned.  Pagemaker is something I have a strong aversion to, from having been forced to use an ancient version of it at ADB.  (Seriously, they're using Macintoshes that are 12 years old at this point, regard OS X as the being the spawn of Satan, and I shudder at their backup and data recovery procedures.)