Topic: Setting question: Terran Navy

So, I was in the middle of working on a scenario set (Operation Icepick), and I was wondering one rather major thing: What happened to the Terran Navy? The last we hear of them, they were fruitlessly looking for survivors of the destruction of Earth, but after that, they just seem to disappear. Luna probably didn't have the resources to supply the whole navy afterwards.

The most likely scenarios I've cooked up are as follows:

1.) Some of the Terran fleet splits along national lines, with vessels and personnel defecting to the various colony states.

2.) ISEC, KTI, and other interstellar corps make out like bandits on a going out of business surplus sale.

3.) In the absence of a chain of command, some vessels go rogue and become a/the pirate problem. Some nations buy them off as privateers, like the FSA.

4.) Some remain loyal to Luna, others to Mars, pledged to the defense of inner Sol. KTI can go hang in the breeze, for all they care.

None of these are mutually exclusive, of course.

Re: Setting question: Terran Navy

Got it in four. *L*

All of the above happened... :wink:

Ah, good. Something else that I'm not sure is right.

Luna: Population 2.3 million. Considering the population load that other Sol sector colonies have, I'm not sure that's supposed to be an M. smile

Nope. Million is correct.  several issues to take into account, the first of which is that Luna is almost entirely dependent upon outside sources of food, water, and air.  Then you have the issue of people being pretty much prisoners within their underground cities...This tends to put a bit of a limit for a sustainable population.

So the population tends to be the diehards, Earth loyalists too stubborn to move on, naval personnel and dependents...etc.

go0gleplex wrote:

Nope. Million is correct.  several issues to take into account, the first of which is that Luna is almost entirely dependent upon outside sources of food, water, and air.  Then you have the issue of people being pretty much prisoners within their underground cities...This tends to put a bit of a limit for a sustainable population.

So the population tends to be the diehards, Earth loyalists too stubborn to move on, naval personnel and dependents...etc.

Ah, just making sure.