Topic: Scratchbuilding in 1:10,000 Scale

I have begun scratchbuilding IS miniatures in roughly 1:10,000 scale. A bit of fuging occurs to make the modles easier to build.

A Morozko rocket sloop is about 1cm over all, with a 9mm piece of match stick for a hull.

Think of miniatures the size of the illustrations on the fold up counters.
Each ship is individually scratchbuilt, and is (at least for the smaller ones) a hull, fins, and the largest details that alter the sillouette. So that Morozko is basicaly a match stick with fins at the back. At gaming distance finer detail wouldn't show anyway, so I just leave it off.

I'll be posting pictures etc at the Star Ranger forums. I have 4-5 Alpha/Beta class destroyers and the Morozkos done. Next are the Gammas then I think something big to give my eyes a break.

3mm thick bases from Litko and pins give easy basing.

Re: Scratchbuilding in 1:10,000 Scale

I'll be looking for those pics dave. smile

The ships for scenario one are finished. Pictures tonite if my internet is back up.

Now I just need to know how long the average FAC is so I can model them...

Pics are up on SSCN message boards.

Now about those FACs, I figure 30-60 length, so 1-2mm in scale. Is that close?

dave-the-lost wrote:

I should likely answer this, since I modeled the things.

In the neighbourhood...I think we were expecting them to be about PT Boat sized, maybe a bit smaller.

dave-the-lost wrote:

Is your name the same there?

Spence wrote:
dave-the-lost wrote:

Never-mind.  Found the post, now I just have to wait till I get home so I can see the pics...

Spence wrote:
Spence wrote:
dave-the-lost wrote:

Never-mind.  Found the post, now I just have to wait till I get home so I can see the pics...

URL?

thedugan wrote:

URL?

http://www.star-ranger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4196

Spence wrote:
thedugan wrote:

URL?

http://www.star-ranger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4196

Could you put up some closeups? All I can see are shippish-looking things.

I'll try for some beter close-ups. But there really isn't much more to see. I don't think any of the models so far are longer than 2cm!

I did do up the Chinese from scenario 2 last night. Took about 2 hours start to finish. Barn red paint, and some chunkier hulls.

Japanese are next.

The great bit is these are virtually free. Scrap balsa from a "fun pack" of assorted sizes, some card stock, cereal box card, q-tip shafts, pins and paint. The sort of stuff most modelers have lying around the house.

In this tiny scale the basic hull shape, one or two prominent and defining details, and a lable on the base are all you need to make a ship.

I made a few Alphas out of matchsticks a while ago, and then made the rest to match them for size.

I am thinking of trying some Starmada ships in more durabe meterials to use as masters for resin casting. The IS ships will remain individual scratch builds. They are easy enough that if I can figure how to ship them safely I would be willing to send some to fellow gamers as a novelty.

dave-the-lost wrote:

I'll try for some beter close-ups. But there really isn't much more to see. I don't think any of the models so far are longer than 2cm!

I did do up the Chinese from scenario 2 last night. Took about 2 hours start to finish. Barn red paint, and some chunkier hulls.

Did we publish the Chinese? I don't recall....and I'm too lazy this late at night to look.

dave-the-lost wrote:

Japanese are next.

The great bit is these are virtually free. Scrap balsa from a "fun pack" of assorted sizes, some card stock, cereal box card, q-tip shafts, pins and paint. The sort of stuff most modelers have lying around the house.

In this tiny scale the basic hull shape, one or two prominent and defining details, and a lable on the base are all you need to make a ship.

I made a few Alphas out of matchsticks a while ago, and then made the rest to match them for size.

I am thinking of trying some Starmada ships in more durabe meterials to use as masters for resin casting. The IS ships will remain individual scratch builds. They are easy enough that if I can figure how to ship them safely I would be willing to send some to fellow gamers as a novelty.

Part of the reason for putting the casting ideas over in the 'miniatures' section was so that MJ12 folks might put some more minis out there.

Those things are so durned CUTE. smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com