Topic: newbie questions

Howdy, Got Wardogs a week ago or so, good stuff, jsut some quick questions on the hows and whys if you dont mind:-)

1)  Why go with thermal sig?  I read the post about using steam meks and you stating about the photo guy who used infrared, but realistically combat hasnt really used thermal for more than night fighting?  if playing like Gear Krieg type game with WWII units and mecha, wouldn't size or something else work better than thermal sig?  I seen in that same post that you can use the melee rules or a variation for ranged combat also,but I figured the inherent pts cost is based off of themal sig for TNs.

2)  Why do inf have ammo for basic weapons?  I can understand HVY weapons and special, but just infantry with asslt rifles and the like seems like they would run out of ammo FAST.  (not that they live long mind you,hehe)

3)  How fast IS combat?  seems like stuff can die fast, but havnt been able to play or test play yet, just wondering by using the meks in the book and looking at their weapon loadouts and ammo, seems like ammo trucks would be EVERYWHERE, lol.  Is combat fast and furrious so to say?  Gets over quick when stuff connects?  Just wondering how the game works when you actually play, lol, osmething I havnt had a chance to do yet, thanks in advance:-)

Ok, that is all I have for now, lol.  Great game, lots of cool ideas and many directions to go with it...looking forward to more info on the setting and rules as this seems a GREAT base to build off of.  Thanks for a great game.

-McBane

:-)

Re: newbie questions

McBane wrote:

Howdy, Got Wardogs a week ago or so, good stuff, jsut some quick questions on the hows and whys if you dont mind:-)

1)  Why go with thermal sig?  I read the post about using steam meks and you stating about the photo guy who used infrared, but realistically combat hasnt really used thermal for more than night fighting?  if playing like Gear Krieg type game with WWII units and mecha, wouldn't size or something else work better than thermal sig?  I seen in that same post that you can use the melee rules or a variation for ranged combat also,but I figured the inherent pts cost is based off of themal sig for TNs.

Thermal is a physical constant regardless of era that may be mitigated but not entirely negated in most cases....beyond that it was an informational issue.  Magnetics can be hidden, size at distances isn't reliable and only works in line of site, etc.;  a more appropriate answer may be "it fit." wink

McBane wrote:

2)  Why do inf have ammo for basic weapons?  I can understand HVY weapons and special, but just infantry with asslt rifles and the like seems like they would run out of ammo FAST.  (not that they live long mind you,hehe)

Because the individual trooper can only hold so much ammunition amidst all the other 160 pounds of stuff they have to carry. smile  Each ammo point is good for one turn of fire irregardless of ROF. (exception being chainguns)

If folks really look close at how the whole system is set up, it becomes apparent that everything is based loosely on real world physical constraints, abstracting usually around issues that are inconsistent or non-definable.  Being an engineering type, that is one of the major pet peeves I have with CBT...such as where in the HELL are those 120 missiles for the LRM 20 actually supposed to be when the physical space simply isn't there?  :?  :wink:

McBane wrote:

3)  How fast IS combat?  seems like stuff can die fast, but havnt been able to play or test play yet, just wondering by using the meks in the book and looking at their weapon loadouts and ammo, seems like ammo trucks would be EVERYWHERE, lol.  Is combat fast and furrious so to say?  Gets over quick when stuff connects?  Just wondering how the game works when you actually play, lol, osmething I havnt had a chance to do yet, thanks in advance:-)

How fast is combat...well...I was talking with my best buddy Larry last night and we were commenting on how the game sort of followed real combat.  Long hours of nothing happening followed by 10 minutes of sheer terror. wink

Once you engage in combat...it goes relatively quickly.  The more familiar you are with the rules the faster it will play.  Maneuver is actually the long part of the game.  Set yourself up for the best chance at getting lock on and you're good (should the dice gods favor you....)

Ammo isn't usually that big of an issue.  Like the infantry, one shot per turn is supplied...and since the weapon doesn't fire if it can't get lock it's seldom just wasted.  Once you engage in combat, the issue isn't do you have enough ammo...it's are you going to be around long enough to go through it all?  :twisted:

McBane wrote:

Ok, that is all I have for now, lol.  Great game, lots of cool ideas and many directions to go with it...looking forward to more info on the setting and rules as this seems a GREAT base to build off of.  Thanks for a great game.

-McBane

:-)

Thanks...I hope you and your buddies have a blast. smile

Re: newbie questions

go0gleplex wrote:
McBane wrote:

Thermal is a physical constant regardless of era that may be mitigated but not entirely negated in most cases....beyond that it was an informational issue.  Magnetics can be hidden, size at distances isn't reliable and only works in line of site, etc.;  a more appropriate answer may be "it fit." wink

Let me jump in here:
One thing which came to my mind recently was using Wardogs - as a nice generic system - for my Weird WW2 needs.

So in addition to historical WW2 vehicles, there would be some additional un-historical ones, like mechs or such.

But most WW2 vehicles didn't use thermal targetting and I'd prefer to stick to this idea (at least in most cases), and while it's possible I am with McBane that it will change the point system. Of course I could add thermal targetting devices, but it goes against my concept.

Wardogs are a great generic system if your setting goes with thermal targetting, and a good one otherwise because the point system doesn't work as fine as it does with thermal targetting.

I think that's a field for future additions/home rules - non-thermal targetting (eg. based on visual contact) - which would make he product suitable for even more settings and players.