Topic: Automatic Grenade Launcher

How to Design a Automatic Grenade Launcher in Army Customizer

I am new to Defiance but like really much the game system specially the Army Customizer but how does one design a AGL.  As  a se it as a army instructor a AGL is a AOE weapon with Feed rate of above on  1 capable of indirect fire. All things not possible in DEFIANCE Army Customizer. Or ?

Re: Automatic Grenade Launcher

ok, somebody help a new gamer with this.
how do you think a AGL is with these rules.
AGL like the modern MK19 mod 3 or H&K GMG

Hi Stingray,

In order to minimize die rolling, D:VG abstracts indirect fire into the size of its effect, so an AGL would best be represented by a larger AOE template than a non-auto GL.  If, however, you'd prefer to roll to hit and scatter for each roll separately, you can always multiply the cost of the weapon by the number of rounds you want it to fire each turn (unofficially, of course, but it shouldn't be unbalancing in moderation).

Thanks Demian Rose

What you stead was close to what I thought to, and here comes the follow up question.
Modern AGL fire HEDP ammo, ammunition that penetrates armour with a shaped explosive charge and cause a splinter effect like a hand grenade. To simulate this if I have understood this system right I have to use the Army enhancement of after burst to make an Anti Infantry weapon with Armour piercing and AI Area effect to simulate this. But here is the question is after burst weapons under the same restrictions as other AOE weapons like max FR1, ammo 4-6.

And can I and if so how apply weapon effectors available to other AOE weapons like IR and indirect fire to an after burst weapon. These modifications would bee needed to represent a bigger HEDP ammo say 50-80 mm fired from some near future rapid fire cannon.

stingray75 wrote:

But here is the question is after burst weapons under the same restrictions as other AOE weapons like max FR1, ammo 4-6

After-Burst, as per other augmentations, is an add-on to a frame already designed, so the entry lists limiations/requirements as to what kind of a frame you can assign the aug to.

As far as I can see, there is no other limitations in the rules or the errata other than that the weapon may not have indirect fire capability (tho I suppose one might want to interpret this as a stipulation against using the aug in conjuction with indirect fire specifically). So while it can be pretty much anything otherwise available, really, you can't use this augmentation to create an indirect fire anti-vehicle weapon (as per rules, phase weapons do have indirect targeting capability but they aren't counted as IF weapons per se).

Not quite the info i neaded.

Rather im intrested in finding out that when the rules state that all AOE weapons hawe ammo limitation of 4-6 do this limitation aply to After burst as it is a AOE weapon, or at least makes a wepon frame such. The same situation for the limitation on FR being max one (1) for AOE weapons.

stingray75 wrote:

Rather im intrested in finding out that when the rules state that all AOE weapons hawe ammo limitation of 4-6

All weapon frames designed as AOE have FR=1 and initial ammo limitation of 4 (and it can be upped to 6 by paying extra points), yes...

do this limitation aply to After burst as it is a AOE weapon

...but like I said, After-Burst is not a weapon per se. It's an augmentation to a weapon frame. Therefore I should think it does not affect the weapon frame itself directly beyond what is explicitly stated.

As to what is stated, my understanding of the entry is that

[*]It starts by stating that the After-Burst is an "also" effect which would imply the frame retains its point effect, which is something designed AOE frames do not have (so it can't be a normal AOE weapon in any case)[*]This is reinforced by stating the augmented weapon needs to score a damaging hit (worked out normally, for all I can tell) so that the After-Burst effect occurs (to be worked out separately)[*]Furthermore it is also expressly mentioned that the burst occurs touching the first target in the line of fire. Stating this would make little sense if the weapon would become FR=1 weapon due to the aug, as there would ever be at most one target hit in the line of fire