Topic: New/upgraded forum

We've finally made the switch from phpBB2 to phpBB3 as our forum software. Everything seems to have transferred over quite smoothly.

Some reasons for the switch:

1) Security security security.

2) Attachments. You can now upload images and archives along with your posts, up to 2 MB in size.

3) Security security security.

4) There's a website revision in the works, which should go live January 1, and it seemed as good a time as any.

5) There is NO reason #5.

6) Security security security.

You may see some changes in 'look' over the next few days, as I find something that approximates our 'old' look. Unfortunately, the designer of the phpBB2 theme we were using has not yet done an upgrade for phpBB3.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: New/upgraded forum

On the main forum page, I don't think there's quite enough contrast between the color of text for the forum headings, and the background color.
That could just be "almost 52 year old" eyes also.
Kevin

Not too bad - it loads quicker than the old board did.

Nahuris

underling wrote:

On the main forum page, I don't think there's quite enough contrast between the color of text for the forum headings, and the background color.
That could just be "almost 52 year old" eyes also.
Kevin

I'm with Kevin on the color contrast. It's better than the first version upgraded but still blends a lot.  Otherwise looks fine.

I really don't like the contrast either. I find the whole board to look washed-out -- and the red highlights are simply garish. I wouldn't say I 'hate' it -- hate being a strong word -- but that was the best choice for my feelings, so I did say I hate it.

I'd agree, more contrast is needed - and I'm only 32 w/ 20/20 vision.  Otherwise looks good.

MUCH nicer!!! and easier on the eyes. smile

I don't actually "hate" it, but I have really bad eyesight and I can't afford new glasses until after the new year.
Is there an option for a dark background with light colored letters?
Thanks

Yeah, my nearsighted 50 year old eyes think the contrast is a bit too low.

Nice header, though...can we make the text that dark and a bit bigger?

What happened to the sig lines? I see them in the other sections of the forum, but not here...

Am I still in Kansas?

We're a bunch of high-tech old farts, cause I can't tell which forums have new posts and which dont.

jimbeau wrote:

Am I still in Kansas?

We're a bunch of high-tech old farts, cause I can't tell which forums have new posts and which dont.

Yeah, the little icon being a different color isn't REAL obvious

..and Why is Jim's qoute screwed up?

The problems with the sigs and quotes are apparently related in some way to the "News" forum only.

I didn't take into account Jim's color blindness... gonna have to do something about the "new topics" icon.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Are you going to turn on 'board styles' in the users CP?  Most of my favorite BBS's use the same software.  My preferred choices are 'Glacier' or 'Black Pearl'.   But there are many available to the users of phpBB.  Just a thought.

Right now the board style is really hard to pick out new posts.

Yes,  yes I am old smile

Now I wish I could change my vote. I love this new look! :-)

Is it possible to have the topics for each section's list ordered in such a way that the most recently responded to topics are at the top of each list?

underling wrote:

Is it possible to have the topics for each section's list ordered in such a way that the most recently responded to topics are at the top of each list?

Yes. But it's determined by the user, not the board itself.

Go to your User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options and change your "topics/posts ordering by" and "order direction" options.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:
underling wrote:

Yes. But it's determined by the user, not the board itself.
Go to your User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options and change your "topics/posts ordering by" and "order direction" options.

That sounds so complicated.
Can you do it for me?
:wink:

underling wrote:

That sounds so complicated.
Can you do it for me?
:wink:

Actually... no.

smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Changed the icons on the forums and topics, so it should be easier to tell which have had activity.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Added an avatar gallery... you can view it by going to your "User Control Panel" and selecting Profile > Edit avatar > Display gallery.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

Changed the icons on the forums and topics, so it should be easier to tell which have had activity.

Eyeah...that's better. I doesn't has ta squints so much....

cricket wrote:

Added an avatar gallery... you can view it by going to your "User Control Panel" and selecting Profile > Edit avatar > Display gallery.

What? No Pokemon characters!! lol

I makes me owns ones I does....Mine is actually ME!

...well, with some slight mods. My real head is much larger....

Still can't tell which have new posts or not... ??

um, nevermind, I had to be logged in to see the new posts icon... duh!

jimbeau wrote:

um, nevermind, I had to be logged in to see the new posts icon... duh!

How did you post while not being logged in, then?
:?