Topic: 3rd Edition System tile

Here's a sample of what I'm thinking for a system tile in the 3rd edition of Sovereign Stars:

[attachment=0]system.png[/attachment]

The "$" is the system's income, while the "#" represents its population.

Dan

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: 3rd Edition System tile

Can we get the actual number in place of the symbol.

oh, yeah and these are the coolest things I have ever seen, they rival the TI 3rd edition graphics in quality.

well done, man!

jim

Very nice loooking
(though how a swirly red ball looks like Eden, I have no idea smile )

I really like the symbols over numbers. Gives it a strong feel.

jimbeau wrote:

Can we get the actual number in place of the symbol.

Really? I put in the colored boxes to avoid having the numbers -- I thought this was a nice effect.

oh, yeah and these are the coolest things I have ever seen, they rival the TI 3rd edition graphics in quality.

Well, I wouldn't go that far... I have already found things I would like to change... but thanks for the encouragement. smile

Dan

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:
jimbeau wrote:

Well, I wouldn't go that far... I have already found things I would like to change... but thanks for the encouragement. smile

I would.  This example tile rocks!

--Rich Spainhour

Taltos wrote:

Very nice loooking
(though how a swirly red ball looks like Eden, I have no idea smile )

Depends on your point of view, I suppose. smile

Two things, tho...

1) This is just a sample, and

2) "Eden" is the type of world, not the name. "Cassia Primus" is the name of the system.

Dan

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Ah, I was reading it as System:World for some reason.

Take two?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

What if you put <AGR> or <EDEN> at the bottom with the stat bar?

That is much better

Taltos wrote:

What if you put <AGR> or <EDEN> at the bottom with the stat bar?

One more for now...

Dan

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

nope, I like it better back one revision.

getting there.
I would make the <AGR> smaller, though.
And the fonts in general are less sharp than they were before.

Once again...

I didn't realize the similarities to the Iron Stars cover -- I must like that trapezoid thing... smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Looks pretty sweet!  What is the 'size' of the hex, 2 inches across?

-Bren

cricket wrote:

Once again...

Nice!  I like the money/resource blocks only showing up if they are to be counted.

--Rich Spainhour

jygro wrote:

Looks pretty sweet!  What is the 'size' of the hex, 2 inches across?

Probably 1.5" or 2".

Dan

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Thought I'd share this; it's not done, as I haven't yet figured out the best way to denote the system values:

[attachment=0]newsector.png[/attachment]

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Do you need playtesters for this?

graydo wrote:

Do you need playtesters for this?

I will once it's at a point where I can share...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Two and an half observations that I feel I must offer:

1) I have the Sovereign Stars and played it with three friends years ago. We had fun but there was one thing that was very boring: the book keeping between game days. We used to play all the major battles with starmada and ships that we had pre-generated to be different to each race. The problem was the dinning table. We had to store the game every saturday night and rebuild it the next saturday. As Sovereign Stars is a campaign game, I think that in the next book there should be control sheet to facilitate this operation and to maintain book keeping.

2) The book should have ships for every race of the TI universe (14, a lot, yes I know) and the ships should have upgrades that could be used as the players research new technologies. That would be absolutely beautiful. If you need help, please say so. I'll be glad to help.

Half) To finalize, after doing this - maybe FFG would be willing to cast minis for that ships and sell it in their line of minis. I would buy. And I guess I wouldn't be the only one.

Blackronin wrote:

2) The book should have ships for every race of the TI universe (14, a lot, yes I know) and the ships should have upgrades that could be used as the players research new technologies. That would be absolutely beautiful. If you need help, please say so. I'll be glad to help.

Our license to use Twilight Imperium expired a long time ago. I do not see us pursuing its renewal.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

There it goes. A short and very precise answer.  :roll:

It's a pitty though. it was an excellent conjugation of games. Well, I'll have to do it all by myself...  sad

cricket wrote:

Thought I'd share this; it's not done, as I haven't yet figured out the best way to denote the system values:

[attachment=0]newsector.png[/attachment]

I'm not familiar with the original game... what is the relationship between this hex and the other hex graphic in this thread?

Very nice work btw.

I discovered this thread late, and the comments made no sense. Then I realized that all of the links to the image linked to the newest version of that file.

My gut reaction (for what that's worth): negative, I'm afraid. A fixed-width font doesn't look sci-fi anymore, it looks 1980s. Also, while I can appreciate the value of icons over numbers, these strike me as just hard-to-read numbers. If things can be arranged so that each icon is either present or not, then we will have truly gotten rid of numbers.

All this IMHO, of course. I will now proceed to the other threads and make some more broad, ill-considered criticisms.  :evil: