Topic: A Fair Petition to Mr. Daniel Kast

Dear Mr. Daniel Kast and all the other developers of this wonderful set with the name of Iron Stars:

I, Blackronin, closely followed by my wife, my kid brother, two guinea pigs, quasi 2000 almost all painted miniature ships, several hundred (and some painted) 28mm fantasy and sf humanoid (and some not so much) miniatures, uncounted 1/72 plastic soldiers regrettably almost unpainted, are here all heartedly petitioning your excellency to clarify some points that are misty in this wonderful universe. So please carve in stone the very following:

a) Technology advancement will be steam oriented? None of the cold (and very nice to starmada) digital stuff. No atomic technology. No computers. No robots. Just steam golems and stuff with coal smell?  sad Yes, please?

b) Spacial expeditions will be 19th century-early 20th century orientated?  sad  Yes, please?

c) Tech will have an high point and will remain there, so that the story of earth will be more slow?  sad  Yes, please?

d) What are exactly the properties of all the machinery that moves the aetherships? So that we will kno where we stand.

e) When will mj12games release another book for this universe? Soon?  big_smile

We all thank your excellency in advance and are now sitted around a camp fire (the lead minis 4 foot away) waiting for your reply.

Re: A Fair Petition to Mr. Daniel Kast

After waiting and biting my nails on this, I think I can sweetten things up by giving music to the excellent gentlemen that command this forum so that they will answer my questions. You can sing it in the bathroom, to your wives or girlfriends, in front of tv, or just to yourselves. Given is, that it must be sang very quickly and manly. Please, be my guests. If you do not find the strenght (use the force, Luke...) in yourselves to do it, I kindly put two links below so taht you could enjoy it in the fine representation of others. And very spacely also.

The Major-General Song (with most interesting notations below for the more exquisitive)

I am the very model of a modern Major-General,
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical,
From Marathon(1) to Waterloo, in order categorical;
I 'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news ­
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

(Chorus)
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse;
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse;
With many cheerful facts about the square of the
hypote- potenuse.

I'm very good at integral and differential calculus,
I know the scientific names of beings animalculous(2);
In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

(Chorus)
He is the very model of a modern Major-General

I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's
I answer hard acrostics(3), I've a pretty taste for paradox,
I quote in elegaic(4) all the crimes of Heliogabalus(5)
In conics(6) I can floor peculiarities parabolous.
I can tell undoubted Raphaels from Gerard Dows(7) and Zoffanies(7),
I know the coaking chorus from the Frogs of Aristophanes(8),
Then I can hum a fugue of which I've heard the music's din afore,
And whistle all the airs from that infernal nonsense Pinafore(9).

Then I can write a washing bill in Babylonic cuneiform(10),
And tell you every detail of Caractacus's(11) uniform;

(Chorus)
He is the very model of a modern Major-General

In fact, when I know what is meant by 'mamelon'(12) and 'ravelin,'(12)
When I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin,
When such affairs as sorties(13) and surprises I'm more wary at,
And when I know precisely what is meant by 'commissariat,'(14)
When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery,
When I know more of tactics than a novice in a nunnery;
In short, when I've a smattering of elemental strategy,
You'll say a better Major-General had never sat a gee(15). -

For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,

(Chorus)
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
He is the very model of a modern Major-General!

(1) Marathon - Ancient battle between the Greeks and the Persians. And later the idea and effort of a soldier would be used to create a sport challenge.
(2) Animalcule - a microscopic organism
(3) acrostic - a type of word puzzle
(4) elegiac - a classical verse form
(5) Heliogabalus - a corrupt Roman emperor
(6) conics - mathematics dealing with parabolic and hyperbolic curves.
(7) Dow, Zoffany - portraitists
(8) Aristophanes - ancient Greek playwright who parodied politicians as croaking frogs
(9) Pinafore - HMS Pinafore, Gilbert and Sullivan's earlier opera
(10) cuneiform - ancient writing made with wedges on clay tablets
(11) Caractacus - chief of the ancient Britons (who fought nude)
(12) mamelon, ravelin - features of Vaubain's famous fort design system
(13) sortie - a short military raid
(14) commissariat - the military branch in charge of food supplies
15) gee - a horse

If your excellencies aren't stunned enough, please proceed to the following links, in order presented please and then, return and answer "me" questions in the uppermost petition. (Singing) "I am the very model of a modern Major-General..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSGWoXDFM64&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbQ-y589mx8

I sent off an email, no objections to this, so here's my tech on certain 'technical aspects' of the Iron Stars universe:

a) Technology advancement will be steam oriented? None digital stuff? No atomic technology. No computers. No robots. Just steam golems and stuff? sad Yes, please?

d) What are exactly the properties of all the machinery that moves the aetherships? So that we will kno where we stand.

A - see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-point_energy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22zero%20point%20energy%22%20%22Casimir%20Effect%22

That's what the torus's and balls on the ships are, gigantic Casimir Electrical Collectors - there are NO steam plants in an Aethernaught, where would the air to burn coal come from? You could burn coal in an Aeronought, though.

The 'props' are simply driven by enormous electric motors.

The 'props' are actually moving version of the sails. The props and sails are layered ceramics (or some other non-conductive material that can take a little heat), inlaid with coils that produce the energies that interect with the aether. Props act like actual props, instead of interacting with water, they interact with aether. The sails act as both rudders at high speed, and as propulsion at low speeds. Sails can "row" the ship through space. In fact the Chinese don't even use props, but instead rely on the undulations of their sails for propulsion.

No digital stuff until the 21st century, and I don't think we're going to get there in anyone's lifetime at this rate... smile

No atomic energy? - well, I can't say that. I think that our vision of the capability and danger of atomic energy is colored far too much by what MIGHT happen, than the positive aspect of what usually happens. It's far too political, I see it in a MUCH more positive light.

No nuclear energy for some decades, I'd guess, though....No need at present for Nuclear. Casimir collectors would theoretically supply HUGE amounts of power. Once we need even more power for FTL, maybe - but we have at least 7 planets to deal with before that happens.

Computers as we know them would require digital electronics. I can see an "ENIAC"-like mainframe sometime in the 1970's time frame...

Robots? Golems? I can't think that far ahead, yet...I'd say no Golems, as they're magical. Iron Stars is more "Industrial Fantasy", less "Steampunk".....More "World War One", less "Victorian England"....more "Fu Manchu" less "Sherlock Holmes"...

b) Spacial expeditions will be 19th century-early 20th century orientated? sad Yes, please?

B - Yeah, I'd like there to be enemies or allies on EVERY planet! smile

c) Tech will have an high point and will remain there, so that the story of earth will be more slow? sad Yes, please?

C - Static Technology - heck no...things won't move QUITE as fast as reality, though.

e) When will mj12games release another book for this universe? Soon? big_smile

It's up to Dan. I'm just the pixel guy...
smile

..and stop the Major General stuff, dude - you're scaring me... :shock:

Blackronin wrote:

a) Technology advancement will be steam oriented? None of the cold (and very nice to starmada) digital stuff. No atomic technology. No computers. No robots. Just steam golems and stuff with coal smell?  sad Yes, please?

I hadn't really considered this, but I want to stress that Iron Stars is not intended as "Steam Punk", per se.

It's the Real World<TM> with the addition of sci-fi elements. So far, the only "canon" additions are the Martians (per "War of the Worlds") and Cavorite and the Selenites (per "The First Men in the Moon"). I'm not saying there WON'T be computers, nor am I saying there WILL be. Just that I don't want this to become just another run-of-the-mill steampunk setting.

Considering the source material,  tho, I see no reason why atomics wouldn't eventually make an appearance. After all, Wells' writings did inspire at least some of the science behind nuclear chain reactions...

b) Spacial expeditions will be 19th century-early 20th century orientated?  sad  Yes, please?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here... Inasmuch as the timeline itself is in the early part of the 20th century, the focus will be on that. But again, I've taken pains to make it clear this is not a "Victorian" setting -- Victoria died before our timeline diverged from reality, after all.

c) Tech will have an high point and will remain there, so that the story of earth will be more slow?  sad  Yes, please?

I don't know.

I will leave it to the engineers to come up with the suitable technobabble, but there are some basic principles that informed Dugan's ship designs:

1) The ether exists, but does not affect solid matter. It can only affect (and be affected by) electro-magnetic fields. Thus, the "sails" and "propellers" on etherships must be energized to work. They are used to push and direct the ship through the ether -- but they also produce a "drag", which is why ships don't continue at the same velocity indefinitely. (See? There is logic behind the momentum rules. smile)

2) Cavorite exists, but is useless for maneuvering. In fact, it doesn't even move an object into orbit. The source material makes it clear that Cavor's sphere doesn't move upwards on its own -- it is "sucked" upwards when the atmosphere above it is suddenly rendered weightless, and air rushes in beneath it. Once an object gets out of the atmosphere, all Cavorite can do is cancel the gravitational effects of the Earth and Moon. Thus, the function of Cavorite is to get etherships into orbit in the first place -- after that, it has no real use.

e) When will mj12games release another book for this universe? Soon?  big_smile

We all thank your excellency in advance and are now sitted around a camp fire (the lead minis 4 foot away) waiting for your reply.

I will say "soon". smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

And, in reviewing the source material, I realize that Cavorite could be a very dangerous thing...

H. G. Wells wrote:

"It was not an explosion. It's perfectly simple. Only, as I say, I'm apt to overlook these little things. Its that zuzzoo business on a larger scale. Inadvertently I made this substance of mine, this Cavorite, in a thin, wide sheet...."

He paused. "You are quite clear that the stuff is opaque to gravitation, that it cuts off things from gravitating towards each other?"

"Yes," said I. "Yes."

"Well, so soon as it reached a temperature of 60 degrees Fahrenheit, and the process of its manufacture was complete, the air above it, the portions of roof and ceiling and floor above it ceased to have weight. I suppose you know--everybody knows nowadays--that, as a usual thing, the air _has_ weight, that it presses on everything at the surface of the earth, presses in all directions, with a pressure of fourteen and a half pounds to the square inch?"

"I know that," said I. "Go on."

"I know that too," he remarked. "Only this shows you how useless knowledge is unless you apply it. You see, over our Cavorite this ceased to be the case, the air there ceased to exert any pressure, and the air round it and not over the Cavorite was exerting a pressure of fourteen pounds and a half to the square in upon this suddenly weightless air. Ah! you begin to see! The air all about the Cavorite crushed in upon the air above it with irresistible force. The air above the Cavorite was forced upward violently, the air that rushed in to replace it immediately lost weight, ceased to exert any pressure, followed suit, blew the ceiling through and the roof off....

"You perceive," he said, "it formed a sort of atmospheric fountain, a kind of chimney in the atmosphere. And if the Cavorite itself hadn't been loose and so got sucked up the chimney, does it occur to you what would have happened?"

I thought. "I suppose," I said, "the air would be rushing up and up over that infernal piece of stuff now."

"Precisely," he said. "A huge fountain--"

"Spouting into space! Good heavens! Why, it would have squirted all the atmosphere of the earth away! It would have robbed the world of air! It would have been the death of all mankind! That little lump of stuff!"

"Not exactly into space," said Cavor, "but as bad--practically. It would have whipped the air off the world as one peels a banana, and flung it thousands of miles. It would have dropped back again, of course--but on an asphyxiated world! From our point of view very little better than if it never came back!"

So, one of two things must happen:

1) We'll need to figure out why Cavor was wrong, and one misused piece of Cavorite wouldn't vacate the entire atmosphere, or

2) We'll have to figure out when the anarchists plan to use such a device, and how they will be stopped. wink

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Yes, sir, mister Vice Admiral, sir!!  :wink:  Just stopped singing!
Before anything else I'd like to congratulate you on your very near change in Ranking. I hope the pay goes up as well, sir!
:?

And I am sorry to have resorted to such a lowly way as the Major-General routine to get your attention. Next time I swear that I'll halt myself in the Groucho Brothers.  :roll:

As for the scientific explanation, I've read it all, and I get it more clearly.

I would argue with you with the golem being magic devices, but it's of minor importance, and I would lose against the MTG folklore.

With all you have opened I can go on labouring my idea.

I wasn't clear enough but Ialso meant very slow progression of technology, or at least the open to the humans technology. I would like to have the martians to have a kind of tech that would be so alien that it would be seen by us as being in the domain of the occult and the macabre.

Thanks again for your kind help.  big_smile

Note that the narrator made an assumption, that the air would continue a LONG way into space.

Not so much, I suspect. Remember, Cavor was dense enough to have created such a large piece to START with. I have serious misgivings about his ability to think ahead. He wrecked his shed by creating an artifical tornado - but I suspect we'd have no reason to worry about Anarchists using cavorite to strip our atmosphere away.

It would be an interesting use of cavorite to form disruptive 'air walls' as defense against aircraft, though...

thedugan wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-point_energy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22zero%20point%20energy%22%20%22Casimir%20Effect%22

That's what the torus's and balls on the ships are, gigantic Casimir Electrical Collectors - there are NO steam plants in an Aethernaught, where would the air to burn coal come from? You could burn coal in an Aeronought, though.

As I said, I'll leave the technobabble to the engineers. smile

The 'props' are actually moving version of the sails. The props and sails are layered ceramics (or some other non-conductive material that can take a little heat), inlaid with coils that produce the energies that interect with the aether. Props act like actual props, instead of interacting with water, they interact with aether. The sails act as both rudders at high speed, and as propulsion at low speeds. Sails can "row" the ship through space. In fact the Chinese don't even use props, but instead rely on the undulations of their sails for propulsion.

I never really thought of the sails as "propulsion", but I'm not opposed to it on principle.

No digital stuff until the 21st century, and I don't think we're going to get there in anyone's lifetime at this rate... smile

Indeed.

Robots? Golems? I can't think that far ahead, yet...I'd say no Golems, as they're magical. Iron Stars is more "Industrial Fantasy", less "Steampunk".....More "World War One", less "Victorian England"....more "Fu Manchu" less "Sherlock Holmes"...

Mostly consistent with my thoughts. Although golems themselves are magical, they clearly are the forerunners of robots -- and I do see a place for robots in Iron Stars (eventually).

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

thedugan wrote:

Not so much, I suspect. Remember, Cavor was dense enough to have created such a large piece to START with. I have serious misgivings about his ability to think ahead. He wrecked his shed by creating an artifical tornado - but I suspect we'd have no reason to worry about Anarchists using cavorite to strip our atmosphere away.

Perhaps, perhaps not. But I don't want to rely on a mere "the narrator was mistaken" excuse -- since the integrity of the narrators of Wells' books is the basis for our whole universe.

It would be an interesting use of cavorite to form disruptive 'air walls' as defense against aircraft, though...

Yup. smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

For the record, I'm leaning towards Zeppelin-type craft over air-ships in the vein of Aeronef.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Hi Daniel:

I'm starting to piece all the internal logic pieces of your wonderful universe together. It wasn't easy in the begining, but it is still very refreshing. Adding to what TheDugan has said before, your explanation is most revealing.

So we have a alternate reality where science turned a bit to other path. Instead of internal combustion engines being the core of our way of life, this universe leans into a more electro-magnetic machinery way of thinking.

Also, the ether, "au contraire" to the ideas of 19th century doesn't affect solid matter, isn't in a fashion breathable and it's very cold. So if we would have space roaming creatures, these creatures would have to have strong electric properties.

As for the Spacial expeditions, what I meant was that I like the late 19th century and early 20th century expeditons to the ends of our world, mixed a bit with the description, not necessarily with the horror imput, of "The Mountains of Madness", by Lovcraft, or the films in earlies 20's where the explorers would find the forgotten cities of long lost civilizations in the middle of the Himalayas.

Not steam-punk at all. Only a mix of Corto Maltese and space travel.

When I speak in atomics it's not about the knowledge or the bombs, it's about the frame of mind of an atomic society versus the Edwardian society.

Am I babbling too much?

:x

Blackronin wrote:

So we have a alternate reality where science turned a bit to other path. Instead of internal combustion engines being the core of our way of life, this universe leans into a more electro-magnetic machinery way of thinking.

Indeed.

Also, the ether, "au contraire" to the ideas of 19th century doesn't affect solid matter, isn't in a fashion breathable and it's very cold. So if we would have space roaming creatures, these creatures would have to have strong electric properties.

The ether itself isn't all that cold -- but space (where it's easiest to create the fields that can interact with the ether) is VERY cold.

I have a book from 1909 called "The Ether of Space" by Sir Oliver Lodge. I'll have to read it again, but I'm pretty sure that the science of the time didn't consider ether to interact with matter (it was, after all, postulated as the medium through which light and electricity propagated) nor was it considered breathable...

As for the Spacial expeditions, what I meant was that I like the late 19th century and early 20th century expeditons to the ends of our world, mixed a bit with the description, not necessarily with the horror imput, of "The Mountains of Madness", by Lovcraft, or the films in earlies 20's where the explorers would find the forgotten cities of long lost civilizations in the middle of the Himalayas.

Ah, then yes, I am with you on that one. The other planets (and the farthest reaches of Earth) are certainly ripe for 1920's style pulp fiction adventures.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

For the record, I'm leaning towards Zeppelin-type craft over air-ships in the vein of Aeronef.

I'm a bit dissappointed, but not really surprised. Cavorite would be expensive, more so than armor plate for battleships. Also, having Aeronaughts and Civilian use of such a resource would fundamentally alter the world, to such a degree that we'd be remiss NOT to change the political landscape radically in response. Having a very different world would loose some of the charm of the Iron Stars Setting, and make it just another 'alternate universe'. It would also require us to work a LOT harder to make things for it that fit.....

cricket wrote:
thedugan wrote:

Perhaps, perhaps not. But I don't want to rely on a mere "the narrator was mistaken" excuse -- since the integrity of the narrators of Wells' books is the basis for our whole universe.

Yup. smile

As for that the rational explanation it would be easy to find. Try this image:

The cavorite effect as the effect of water coming out of a tube with enough pressure to leave the earth atmosphere, but with water appearing magically from the tube. Then you would put a sheet of metal over the tube, so that the flux of water would send up the sheet of metal and the water itself would pour to the sides. After that, we would connect the sheet of metal to the tube, so that the all "engine" would rise into the atmosphere. At a given point we could heat up and down the the cavorite that would put it on and off several times per minute so that the "machine" would stay airborne. After that some horizontal propulsion and we have a grav vehicle. If not, at least the "umbrella" wouldn't let the air leak into the space in a fountain way.

Before anyone else, let me be the first one to congratolate you, Admiral, sir.
:roll:

The "Cavorite Effect" may indeed be of limited range. Afterall, no records of such experiments have as yet been unearthed and as such, the properties of this material have not been fully illuminated.  In as such, the postulation that air has weight, might not the ether also have weight and therefore, as it must against something without weight, eventually press downwards curving the up-rushing air to the sides wherefore it regains its proper weight to sink back towards the greatest gravitational mass, ergo, the earth preventing that very asphyxiation effect if used with restraint.

How's that for postulation on the issue? wink

thedugan wrote:
cricket wrote:

I'm a bit dissappointed, but not really surprised. Cavorite would be expensive, more so than armor plate for battleships.

I'm also desapointed and not as much convinced as our Admiral.
Cavorite would be expensive, but you wouldn't need very much of it in order to lift a battleship, would you?

thedugan wrote:

Also, having Aeronaughts and Civilian use of such a resource would fundamentally alter the world, to such a degree that we'd be remiss NOT to change the political landscape radically in response. Having a very different world would loose some of the charm of the Iron Stars Setting, and make it just another 'alternate universe'. It would also require us to work a LOT harder to make things for it that fit.....

Not necessarily.It would have the effect of the zeppelin-type craft if it was slow enough. But we would be able to fight titanic battles in sky with great amored airships. So it would be possible to be used by civilians, and still the great powers would maintain their boots over the world. Probably even more strongly. Ten battleships over Paris?

And more even. We could use aetherships again airbattleships, where the disavantage would go to the aetherships, for most of it's space and weight would have to be used with sealing systems and casimir engines.

And don't forget the beauty of a ethership floating over the landscape of Io or Venus.

Blackronin wrote:

I'm also desapointed and not as much convinced as our Admiral.
Cavorite would be expensive, but you wouldn't need very much of it in order to lift a battleship, would you?

I don't think the question is one of cost, but of control. Even if you only cover parts of a ship's hull with Cavorite to offset enough gravity to provide lift, you'll have massive amounts of atmospheric turbulence everywhere you go.

And don't forget the beauty of a ethership floating over the landscape of Io or Venus.

I think Zeppelins can be quite beautiful. Heck, give Admiral Dugan a chance... smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I never doubt of Admiral Dugan capacities for give us splendid images of our imaginarium! No, sir, oho no!

And for the record, I love Zeppelins, but there are just so much zeppelins can do... 11' cannons and zeppelins don't go together. Or they would go together until the cannon fired the first time...

And when you arrived on other planets you would have to do everything so similar to reality. A shuttle of some kind, etc, etc, while if you could descent with the aethership it would be more poetic and epic.

Okay, why is it that even Dan is calling me "Admiral Dugan"...?  :roll:

I'm thinking that the air pressure from outside of the affected column of air (which WOULD extend all the way into space) would force any air ascending the column out of the column, and back into the influence of normal gravity. A lot of turbulence, but no air would fly away from the planet.

Yeah, other than expense, Aeronaughts would REALLY cause a lot of damage due to the winds they'd create due to this effect. Probably better for the Aethernaughts to train for rapid re-entry (well, in hours, not days), in case conventional forces were unable to hold the city. The enemy would do a lot of damage anyway, no need to keep the "tornado team" in space...

You wouldn't build a vehicle for cargo transport that had the potential to cause that much damage just by it's passage.

I like the idea of cargo and passenger Zeppelins, but they'd not be real effective militarily.

I think that Admiral Dungan has a nice sound to it.  wink

For instants:

"I say. In the battle of the Belt, the Greeks wouldn't have a chance of reaching Ganymedes, if it wasn't for the cunning strategies of Admiral Dungan."

:ugeek:

Zepplins can be quite beautiful...and interesting.  The Golden Compass comes to mind, wherein their "Sky Ships" were such craft...and would seem to fit the period nicely as well.  I'm in full agreement with Dan on that one  big_smile

I hadn't considered the tornado effect...*L* that would put a damper on bringing such ships into proximity of the planet.  Though for a warship, guess you wouldn't need guns... :!: ...though I could see the dirigible using "cavorite" cannon...literally blowing the enemy away!  :twisted:

Sounds better than Admiral Go0gleplex...*LOL*

But! We can always say:

Plex, can you pass me the Googles, Admiral...

sad Sorry, I can't help myself. Words play in my head, sir.  :shock: