Topic: Is there ANY interest out there...

...in a 'Kaiju' version of ARES? Just wondering.

Kevin was kvetching, and ARES was on the list, so.....
:geek:

Re: Is there ANY interest out there...

I am.  :roll:
But would you really, really want to know about my personal idea of it? :?
I wonder. sad

Fire away....I've got my own ideas, and I haven't had time to write them up.

Writing is NOT my strong suit, nor what i bring to the table here. So when I do post it, be gentle...
big_smile

I'm thinking of a approach to the Kaijun type of universe based in two concepts. The “SJG Ogre” concept type of game and the “they are bigger than 10 stores buildings!” concept.

1) So, for one type of game, the Kaijun would have statistics of immense power and capabilities that would allow a solitaire type of game, lots of puny humans versus the beast.
2) In the other type of the game, the kaijun would be the center piece of the players “army” and the other pieces would be sidekicks of importance and relevance.
a) Units that maintain the control of the kaijun: “Try, my dear, try to send the telepathic order so the Fordzilla attacks the Nissanzilla!”
b) Units that draw the attention of the Kaijun: “Run, darling, while I draw his attention!”
c) Units that can attack each other or the Kaijun (doing little damage to the latter). “Don't you understand, Captain, If we kill the woman, they lose control over the Porshezilla!”
3) The kaijun would have several actions per turn, while the “human type” units would have only one.
4) Building destruction, knock-downs, breath weapons, mecha-kaijun, and 6mm minis.

what the heck is a kaijun?

I assume you don't mean "Kaijun Luo. Postdoctoral Scientist, Insect Cell Biology and Immunology" even tho she's kinda cute in an Asian sorta way...

Its a fantasy game where the players have a bunch of miniatures of Wise Scientists, that enter Insect Cells and fight biological warfare battles with Immunology magically powerer Armours against insect cell guardians and with a minor appearance of... godzilla.  :shock:  And that's all...

jimbeau wrote:

what the heck is a kaijun?

I assume you don't mean "Kaijun Luo. Postdoctoral Scientist, Insect Cell Biology and Immunology" even tho she's kinda cute in an Asian sorta way...

Nope, an explanation would be here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiju

:ugeek:

It's basiclly 'Godzilla Movies' from one perspective, but it could creep into other things - Super Fighting Teams, Giant Robots, Any kind of Monster movie, that sort of thing. Hell, even the Power Puff girls could be used in what I'm thinking about....

Blackronin wrote:

I'm thinking of a approach to the Kaijun type of universe based in two concepts. The “SJG Ogre” concept type of game and the “they are bigger than 10 stores buildings!” concept.

I'm thinking Godzilla-type monsters, Giant Super Robots like Tranzor-Z(Manzinger) or Voltron - but also smaller units like the Armies in the eraly Godzilla movies, as well as the "Superheroes" like The Power Ranger fighting teams...and their Zords...

Blackronin wrote:

1) So, for one type of game, the Kaijun would have statistics of immense power and capabilities that would allow a solitaire type of game, lots of puny humans versus the beast.

Yeah

I'm thinking that Kevin (Underling, IIRC) is right, you'd have to have dice pools, due to the size disparities between units.

Blackronin wrote:

2) In the other type of the game, the kaijun would be the center piece of the players “army” and the other pieces would be sidekicks of importance and relevance.

Similiar to what Dan was envisioning in "Quantum Legions".

Blackronin wrote:

a) Units that maintain the control of the kaijun: “Try, my dear, try to send the telepathic order so the Fordzilla attacks the Nissanzilla!”

heh....yeah, you'd need some 'hooks' in the scenarios.

Blackronin wrote:

b) Units that draw the attention of the Kaijun: “Run, darling, while I draw his attention!”

Easy enough...

Blackronin wrote:

c) Units that can attack each other or the Kaijun (doing little damage to the latter). “Don't you understand, Captain, If we kill the woman, they lose control over the Porshezilla!”

I need a better reference, I'm not getting this one....

Blackronin wrote:

3) The kaijun would have several actions per turn, while the “human type” units would have only one.

4) Building destruction, knock-downs, breath weapons, mecha-kaijun, and 6mm minis.

Yep.

I'm pondering the rules, don't see anything I disagree about.

thedugan wrote:
Blackronin wrote:

Yeah

I'm thinking that Kevin (Underling, IIRC) is right, you'd have to have dice pools, due to the size disparities between units.

That, orf sheer number of hit dice being fired against the enemy.

thedugan wrote:
Blackronin wrote:

Give me an example of this, please.

thedugan wrote:
Blackronin wrote:

Units that sole use is to attack other small units and not the Kaijun. Assassins, snippers, thugs, etc.

Blackronin wrote:
thedugan wrote:
Blackronin wrote:

Yeah

That, orf sheer number of hit dice being fired against the enemy.

thedugan wrote:
Blackronin wrote:

Give me an example of this, please.

You've got a 'big' unit that has smaller units in support roles - like the 'general' in Warhammer with his troops.

Blackronin wrote:
thedugan wrote:
Blackronin wrote:

Units that sole use is to attack other small units and not the Kaijun. Assassins, snippers, thugs, etc.

Ah...infantry attacking the support troops....

In the Kaijun vs. Kaijun game mode, I would devide troop type as it follow:

Powerfull central Figure(s):

Colossal Kaijun (Several hit points/several attacks (different and personalized)/breath attacks/power(?) attacks) - All Colossal Kaijun attacks are "sorta" waisted against puny human infantry and vehicles with a few exceptions

Kaijun (Several hit points/several attacks (different and personalized)/breath attacks/power) - All Kaijun attacks are very powerful against puny human infantry and vehicles with a few exceptions

Mecha (Some hit points/several attacks (different and personalized)/Flight or another special ability) - mecha will be sligtly less powerful than Kaijun and can work in groups of several mechas

Super Fighting Teams (Some hit points/one special attack (different and personalized for each member)/Flight or another special ability) - Heroes will be sligtly less powerful than Kaijun and work always in groups of several mechas

Chtulhu "like" gods (What can we say about these, right?)

Side-kick figures (these are important to tactical advantages, have one very specific power and die fast and die ugly):

The Army or "the poor green men" (diversity, numbers, planes, chopters, tanks, jeeps, machine-guns, generals) one hit each, specific powers each, moral, etc)

The good scientist and beautiful scared lady and his corageous gang (the same as army, but with less men and special experimental weapons that can go "uau you freezed the beast" or just "kaboum in your hands"

The Aliens (the sky is your limit in this one, Gort would be a very good central piece, "Klaatu barada nikto.")

Mad scientist and thugs.

Basic Categories:
- Biologicals: Loose an attack/die for each loss of a Hit Point, Variable Armor, Natural weapons or Firearms

- Mecha: Undamaged/Damaged/Destroyed - but usually harder to damage

- Super: As Biologicals, but have the ability to "recharge", and may have 'special' attacks (like Godzilla's Atomic Breath)

- Cyborg: Loose an attack/die for each loss of a Hit Point, Natural Weapons or Firearms, may have 'special' attacks

- Super Cyborg: Loose an attack/die for each loss of a Hit Point, Usually armored like Mecha, Natural Weapons or Firearms, may have 'special' attacks

- Avatar: Anything goes. Magical Sailor Mighty Hammer GunGirl?

All come in four flavors: Small, Medium Large, Colossal

:ugeek:

Hi Dugan:

I like the categories, but I feel that for extra juice, you should categorize it in two more ways: time period and tech level. This would permit you to divide the fluff and rules in several broad categories that would go a long way in racionalization and "universe" creation: Pulp era, steam-punk, 50's, modern, retro-sci-fi, etc.

Why do I say this?... Let me try to explain it with two examples:

First. One of the best systems I ever played with is Starmada. I played briefly Starmada Compendium that a friend brought from UK. At the time we played FT with every miniature we could put our hands into, and usually with BF Gothic minis, though we hated the rules, "guess the range" was so stupid that we usually used it as a joke. I then bought Starmada X and we kept on with our group of players enjoying it. Why? The rules were great. The Adm. Edition was another step up. I loved the new movement rules and the streamining of everything. I have all the books. What do I lack in this rules? The universe. I like the three installments (can I say this in english?) in the three books. Imaginative, complex, open, as the system so well allows it. But I would prefer a unique universe with a on going on history and several very well detailed races, good and bad and a lot of drama. From book to book things would change, the ships would be retroffited, new ships would be added, maybe a new race. Continuity. Under rated. Essencial. It is the growth of the characters, (in this case, races, empires, nations), that we love to see. Luke skywalker could be summarize this way: "A naif peasant raised in a poor agro colony becomes a Jedi Master."

Second. Iron Stars. When I first read the rules (I skipped the storic info and dived into the rules) and I wasn't very thrilled. Than I read the background universe and I started to imagine a lot of potencial. As I was looking for a star combat system for a Victorian Sci-fi Adventure, I come to the point that I decided to move my adventure to Edwardian Age just to stay with this background. So here we have continuity, and the possibility of character (Nations) growth. I think that it is this that sells suplements more than the optional rules (it's the pack, I agree fully, but without fluff continuity, it will be harder) and the ship designs and images, of course!  big_smile

So I think that a very well conceived and open universe in this Kaijun project is a must.

Sorry for the long explanation. A teacher has the bad habit of going on rumbling about endlessly...  sad

Well, as far as your view on needing a 'universe' to play in (for any game, including Kaijin) I have to agree.

For the Kaijin, I see the following settings/Eras...

1 - Atomic Age: Japanese Super-bots, American Atom-powered Suits, and of course - GODZILLA (and friends that are appropriate to the time period). The stuff done in the 50's and 60's - stuff from MY childhood (and a few others) and earlier.

2 - Electronic Age - 70's and 80's - cartoons from that period - most of you guys remember stuff from your childhood, I was working by then. Voltron, etc....second 'wave' of Godzilla movies.

3 - New Age - 90's and beyond.

4 - a 'Mekton like' universe unique to Kaijin, FTL, aliens, etc....

I don't see going backward into the 30's and previoiusly. I can't see doing steampunk with anything with 'Kaijin' in the title.
smile

There is the "between wars" pulp, where crazy german and japanese cientists could make some strange experiments. Awaken the beast! Makers of the ultimate biological weapon! Etc.

As for a "steam-punk whatever universe" you can imagine a race/culture/nation that builds gigantic steam lizzard-robots to attack, defend, harass or just populate a desert landscape and all that it follows.

Blackronin wrote:

There is the "between wars" pulp, where crazy german and japanese cientists could make some strange experiments. Awaken the beast! Makers of the ultimate biological weapon! Etc.

That would be ARES: PULP!

Blackronin wrote:

As for a "steam-punk whatever universe" you can imagine a race/culture/nation that builds gigantic steam lizzard-robots to attack, defend, harass or just populate a desert landscape and all that it follows.

That would be ARES: PAX BRITANIA

One thing I'm learning from Dan is not to bite off more than you can chew.

Some of the units in the game aren't Kaijin, but I'm including them because they were in the movies. Anything from pulp or steampunk would be outside 'canon'....

Yesssss, but you could save it for ARES: The Second Coming of the Kritters!  smile

All the various ARES supplements ought to be compatible with each other, so the only difference is the setting, maybe a fw optional rules - just like Starmada.

I agree.
And I think that variety is a good thing. But... ah... also... continuity...  :? Have I ever said this?  :roll: