Topic: An idea Seed for The Sovereign Stars

I have this idea. I hope it helps in the TSS quest for the 3th edition. I develop this idea after playing an all strategic TSS game with the rules in the Imperial Starmada Sourcebook. Here it goes:

The Sovereign Stars (Idea)
Strategic game and Campaign System

1.  Hex construction game board. Nothing new, but the best “I never get tired of” system yet;
2. Counter ships and units (different counters for each race);
3. Different abilities to each starting race. I'd say at least 10 different races;
4. Different ships (for Starmada) for each race. The ships printed in the book would be at the lowest tech grade of that race. As the players spend money in tech development, they could upgrade their ships. Some races would have a higher tech rate than others at the start of the game. Production, planet capacity would balance the tech advantage;
5. Translation of hull points between the strategic game to starmada game;
6. Hull points would be the important value to ship combats in the strategic game. Cargo and tech could change a bit the odds. I'll explain it in the bottom;
7. A comprehensive way to book keeping this from turn to turn so that a game could go for several weeks;
8. Interesting combats would be translated to starmada;
9. Interesting planet assault combats would be translated to Wardogs;
10. Defense stations, planetary defense systems, and transport rules could be streamlined and justified fully in the starmada system;
11. Fleets in the strategic game would have a hull number and a speed number as basic characteristics. Other traits could be cargo capacity, load (what the fleet transports), light, medium or heavy, and Fighter component.
a) The hull number would be divided by ten to find the attack statistics in the strategic game. The speed number would be smallest engine value the of the ship type the player wanted to add to the fleet divided by two and rounded down.  So if the slowest ship had an engine value of five, the fleet would have a speed value of two in the strategic game.
b) The cargo capacity would be divided by 500. Per each 500, the hull number would go down by 1. Example: You have 1500 units of mechs transported in a 17 hull fleet. 3 hull are transports, so you divide your fleet in 10/4/3T. The transports don't fight or in starmada are converted to that race transport ships. The load would be divided by the ships in the starmada game.
c)If your fleet bulk was made of light ships (50% of the ships of 1-6 hull points) the fleet would have (in the strategic game) some abilities: 1+ to strategic speed and +1 to evasion number. The number rolled to intercept or avoid combat in a hex with an enemy fleet;
If your fleet bulk was made of medium ships (50% of the ships of 7-12 hull points) the fleet would have: +0 to strategic speed and +0 to evasion number;
If your fleet bulk was made of heavy ships (50% of the ships of 13+ hull points) the fleet would have: -1 to strategic speed and -1 to evasion number;
d) The fighter capacity would be divided by 500. Per each 500, the hull number would go down by 1. Example: You have 1500 in fighters transported in a 17 hull fleet. 3 hull are carriers, so you divide your fleet in 10/4/3c. The carrier have a modifier  in the table below or in starmada are converted to that race carrier ships. The fighter load would be divided by the ships in the starmada game.

Combat Table (example only – it is not tested to see if works)

Combat table (1D10)
(1D10)    1   2    3   4    5   6   7   8   9   10
10 hulls   -    -    -    1   2   2   3   4    5    6
9 hulls     -    -    -    1   1   2   2   3    4    5
8 hulls     -    -    -    -   1   2   2   3    3    4
7 hulls     -    -    -    -   1   1   2   2    3    3
6 hulls     -    -    -    -   -    1   1   2    2    3
5 hulls     -    -    -    -   -    1   1   1    2    2
4 hulls     -    -    -    -   -    -     1   1   2    2
3 hulls     -    -    -    -   -    -     1   1   1    2
2 hulls     -    -    -    -   -    -     -    1   1    2
1 hulls     -    -    -    -   -    -      -   -   1    1
a) Carrier groups add +1 to die roll.
b) light fleets make 1 less damage to the minimun of 1.
c) heavy fleets make 1 more damage.

Evasion Table (example only – it is not tested to see if works)

Evasion Table (1D6)

Intercepting Fleet/Enemy Fleet
Light Fleet - Light Fleet: 4+
Light Fleet - Medium Fleet: 3+
Light Fleet - Heavy Fleet: 2+
Medium Fleet - Light Fleet: 5+
Medium Fleet - Medium Fleet: 4+
Medium Fleet - Heavy Fleet: 3+
Heavy Fleet - Light Fleet: 6+
Heavy Fleet - Medium Fleet: 5+
Heavy Fleet - Heavy Fleet: 4+

a)If the intercepting fleet has at least the double of hull points of the enemy fleet: +1 modifier to the die.
b) If at least 50% of the intercepting fleet is composed by carrier hull points: +1 modifier to the die.
c) If at least 50% of the intercepting fleet is composed of transport hull points: -1 modifier to the die.
d) If at least 50% of the intercepted fleet is composed of transport hull points: +1 modifier to the die.

So, what, seriously do you think?

Re: An idea Seed for The Sovereign Stars

I prefer a simpler combat resolution for a SovStar strategic game linked to the tactical SAE or SNE. Add ORAT of all ships in the fleet and divide by 500, round down. The result is the number of d6s that fleet has for combat. Roll opposing d6s, sixes are kills, opponent then loses a single die for every kill. Roll until one side has the last d6 standing.

I agree that simpler is better -- but perhaps not THAT simple. smile

After all, while the overall point of SovStars is as a campaign generator for Starmada, I want it to be playable (and fun) on its own.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Sorry, I guess I left an entire train of thought out of my post (but it really occurred in my head  big_smile )
My simple combat resolution was for encounters that one did not want to use Starmada to resolve. So, if your campaign generates multiple encounters, but you may actually tactically play out one or two key encounters, the rest you could use this simplified resolution, provided it is agreed to by all involved with the encounter.