Topic: PDF downloads direct from mj12games.com

One of the exciting (for me) new features of the new site is the ability to provide PDF downloads directly -- i.e. without recourse to middlemen like RPGNow or e23. I mean no offense to such retailers: I shop them all the time, as they are great for browsing and finding stuff you might not otherwise have tried. But now when you want to grab that one MJ12 product as an eBook, you can do so without leaving the site.

Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: PDF downloads direct from mj12games.com

Congratulations!

That means that the next supplement of Iron Stars or Starmada AE I will buy here!  smile

cricket wrote:

One of the exciting (for me) new features of the new site is the ability to provide PDF downloads directly -- i.e. without recourse to middlemen like RPGNow or e23. I mean no offense to such retailers: I shop them all the time, as they are great for browsing and finding stuff you might not otherwise have tried. But now when you want to grab that one MJ12 product as an eBook, you can do so without leaving the site.

Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

Yehaw!
Now back to work producing Starmada products so that I can try out this wondrous service!  big_smile
Erik

So, what are you writing?
smile

thedugan wrote:

So, what are you writing?
smile

Sadly, nothing but technical documents, SOPs (need to pay those pesky bills) with the occasional term paper assistance lately. But if you would like a sample of geekspeak writing check here http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/freeworlds/
:geek:

Erik

Besides, the way I look at it, me paying for Starmada products allows Dan and his band of merry men to get their creative fix and still manage to live somewhere besides their parents basement, or in a group home.  wink  what can I say...I'm an enabler.
Cheers,
Erik

Blacklancer99 wrote:

Besides, the way I look at it, me paying for Starmada products allows Dan and his band of merry men to get their creative fix and still manage to live somewhere besides their parents basement, or in a group home.  wink  what can I say...I'm an enabler.

Eh, so you missed the several posts where all the 'staff' of MJ12 Games all have day jobs? Like full time jobs with families in most cases?

Dont' get me wrong, it's enjoyable writing, modelling, rendering, assembling or whatever - but it's not like everyone is all in the same office (or even state) with their feet up on the desk.

There's a considerable amount of 'freelance' work in MJ12 products.

thedugan wrote:

emphasis on FREE

thedugan wrote:
Blacklancer99 wrote:

Eh, so you missed the several posts where all the 'staff' of MJ12 Games all have day jobs? Like full time jobs with families in most cases?

Dont' get me wrong, it's enjoyable writing, modelling, rendering, assembling or whatever - but it's not like everyone is all in the same office (or even state) with their feet up on the desk.

Nope, I didn't miss those posts. My point is that without others interested in what you are doing, it dies, and nobody knows or cares. The  Starmada gang is lucky that people like what they do. I Never implied anyone was sitting with their feet up on the desk as I' not a naive teenager and know how things really work. Frankly, I was trying to be lighthearted, but you seem to have taken it personally. For that I apologize. The yahoo group I pointed you to has a project that I did with a fellow gamer (from Ireland) for free as an expansion to B5wars. He did most of the artwork and we worked on conceptual stuff together, but I wrote the text. I worked on it in my free time for over a year. Did I mention it was for free? We all do stuff like that. I have a full time job, a house, family and a cat.

Hope I'm not too insubordinate  Admiral, Sir.

btw, who said we're NOT living in our parent's basement smile at least in spirit if not fact

hee hee nice shoes ...

<ahem> I must apologize for the deeply inside joke there... allow me to explain.  When I, as a starry-eyed lad with moss behind me ears first met Mr. Kast, we joked about some commonalities of our upbringing (which weren't many). I came from a poor home deep in the inner city (Oglesby, Illinois has a rough side, you know) and he was a diva from somewhere glamorous like Phoenix.  At any rate, I used to say that whenever I met a (heh heh) "girl" for the first time, I was so shy that I wouldn't look her in the eyes. Well, that got us to giggling, and poof, instant friendship. So anytime we discuss geek-ness, the shoes remark always works its way into it.

Anyway, that's something like I remember it.

Blacklancer99 wrote:

I like that...

"Dan and his band of merry men".

smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Blacklancer99 wrote:

Nope, I didn't miss those posts. My point is that without others interested in what you are doing, it dies, and nobody knows or cares. The  Starmada gang is lucky that people like what they do.

Nah, it's not luck.

It involves chickens, a duck, three walnuts and a cow, but no luck... big_smile

Frankly, I was trying to be lighthearted, but you seem to have taken it personally. For that I apologize.

When you've reached Sub-Lieutenant or so, you'll realize Dugan takes a bit of acclimatization (as do many people when you can only infer their meaning from photons on a screen)...

I don't believe any offense was taken.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

thedugan wrote:

but it's not like everyone is all in the same office (or even state)

Although ... that WOULD be cool.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Blacklancer99 wrote:

Frankly, I was trying to be lighthearted, but you seem to have taken it personally. For that I apologize.

Iap. I also do feel that there is a deslike from the high patents against those that make friendly and lighthearted jokes, or put too many smiles in a joke. Or maybe just to those of us that post too much.

What we can do is stop using humour, smiles and put less posts, I guess.

Blackronin wrote:

I'm not sure who the "high patents" are, but I haven't seen any dislike or animosity. If anything, there's more excitement and enthusiasm on these forums lately... I for one find it refreshing. smile

The only minor thing I've seen is that Dugan did ask that people stop calling him Admiral (or "Sir"), but that seems not to have stopped...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

"...photons on the screen..."

I said I was sorry about that torpedo accident!  tongue

I think we all get picky in our own fashion. With me, something gets my engineering gene riled up and I can be incredibly picky (and irritating).  Tryin to be nicer about that these days though. *halo*

Don't read more into this than I'm saying....

Blacklancer99 wrote:
thedugan wrote:
Blacklancer99 wrote:

Nope, I didn't miss those posts. My point is that without others interested in what you are doing, it dies, and nobody knows or cares.

No, it doesn't die. Starmada will live as long as some boy (or girl - no gender bias here!) enjoys playing it. It might sit on some Geocities page, instead of being continually developed and sold as it is now....

Blacklancer99 wrote:

The  Starmada gang is lucky that people like what they do. I Never implied anyone was sitting with their feet up on the desk as I' not a naive teenager and know how things really work.

Yeah, we are. But, we'd do it ANYWAY...and that's the point of what I said.

Blacklancer99 wrote:

Nope, I was somewhat taken aback by the idea that we're all getting rich off this. Most (if not all) of what's charged for MJ12 pubs goes right into subsidizing this stuff. I wish I was getting rich off it, but that's pretty unlikely. The greatest thing that anyone's going to get out of this is some recognition which MIGHT lead to some sweet well-paying gig.

I thought it was pretty well-known that MJ12 was a one-man show with a bunch of amateurs helping.
wink

...what I forgot is that not everyone has been here as long as I have, after about 40, all the years start to run together....

lol

Blacklancer99 wrote:

The yahoo group I pointed you to has a project that I did with a fellow gamer (from Ireland) for free as an expansion to B5wars. He did most of the artwork and we worked on conceptual stuff together, but I wrote the text. I worked on it in my free time for over a year. Did I mention it was for free? We all do stuff like that. I have a full time job, a house, family and a cat.

Like I said, "So, what are you writing?"...?
big_smile

Blacklancer99 wrote:

You have to be subordinate, in order to be INsubordinate....
wink

cricket wrote:

When you've reached Sub-Lieutenant or so, you'll realize Dugan takes a bit of acclimatization (as do many people when you can only infer their meaning from photons on a screen)...

That's your rather polite way of saying that I'm a cranky old fart that flies off in odd directions at the drop of a hat, I take it?
big_smile

cricket wrote:

I don't believe any offense was taken.

Nope...I'd qoute something here, but the ony thing that comes to mind might offend someone....
lol

cricket wrote:
thedugan wrote:

but it's not like everyone is all in the same office (or even state)

Although ... that WOULD be cool.

I ain't moving to Denver.  big_smile

this is the part where I say...

Dugan, stop having a conversation with yourself!

but that'll just set him off again.

cricket wrote:
Blackronin wrote:

I'm not sure who the "high patents" are, but I haven't seen any dislike or animosity. If anything, there's more excitement and enthusiasm on these forums lately... I for one find it refreshing. smile

The only minor thing I've seen is that Dugan did ask that people stop calling him Admiral (or "Sir"), but that seems not to have stopped...

"Art Fairy" is ok, though...

big_smile

jimbeau wrote:

this is the part where I say...

Dugan, stop having a conversation with yourself!

but that'll just set him off again.

I haven't set up a second account here so i can have conversations with myself, but i have THOUGHT about it...
8-)

Who says we have to move to Denver?  I was thinking with all the bajillions in profits we could buy a discount Pacific Island and have the Nation of MJXII. Then Dan can be Supreme Leader as well as Fleet Admiral.  lol

go0gleplex wrote:

Who says we have to move to Denver?  I was thinking with all the bajillions in profits we could buy a discount Pacific Island and have the Nation of MJXII. Then Dan can be Supreme Leader as well as Fleet Admiral.  lol

My wife would LOVE that....

There are actually lots of them in the Philipines, the only potential problem to living there is all the militant Muslim groups we might have to deal with.

...not that I have objection to blowing things up, but it gets expensive.
big_smile

thedugan wrote:
cricket wrote:
Blackronin wrote:

"Art Fairy" is ok, though...

big_smile

So, "Admiral Art Fairy"?