Topic: hex maps or terrain

I really want to introduce new players to wargaming (Wardogs in particular) and I'm not sure which way to go. Which works better for Wardogs? Maps or terrain. I have a bunch of Maps (about 20 or so) so the players wouldn't get bored with seeing the same thing over and over. On the other hand, I don't have much in the way of terrain. Should I stick with maps or give terrian a go?

Re: hex maps or terrain

The rules were written from a hex-grid perspective....so if you're introducing new players, that may be the easier route since (I'll say most) things are layed out to follow to make answering questions easier.   wink

I use ground cloths with 3-inch hexes printed on them from HotzArts myself with a bit of terrain added either by flat card or the little bit of model stuff I have.  There are a couple other good ones out there as well...or even the Kallista hexagon board, though it might be a bit pricier.

not to discount what googleplex says, but I would say use whatever you have already on hand.  if you understand the rules, you should be able to simplify any changes to them fairly easily and then present the players with a decent game.  your presentation is what brings them back.

Yeah...Jim's right. I only mentioned what I use as a reference. One of the demo games I did in the playtesting days used the old FASA battletech maps to play on and WizKids Mechwarrior figs.

Another used just a ground cloth with 2d cardboard cutouts of trees and buildings, the WK:M figs and a couple laser towers I had built (but not yet painted). 

Only thing that really matters in the end though; did everyone have fun! smile

Thanks guys. I guess I'll stick with the maps for now. I've got enough to mix and match maps and keep the games interesting terrainwise.

Foam core can be used to make some cheap, easy-to-store terrain pieces if you're wanting to make some on a budget mate. It also doesn't do too bad on buildings either.  Dried flowers are relatively cheap at places like Michael's or JoAnne's Fabrics and can be used for vegetation or trees.  There's also lots of sites lately with 6mm paper buildings you can download and print, such as Germy's site.

References for later games as you desire. wink

ironically enough i do have money in the budget to get some 6mm buildings, but i realize everyone may not like urban games. and then there's the question that always confronts my wallet when i consider getting terrian... terrain.. or more minis. delimas. delimas.