Topic: Wardogs or Defiance?

Hey guys, new to MJ12.  I just got Starmada, gonna pick up  Ares, and I would like a nice sci fi ground game to round out the collection.  Question is, what exactly is the difference between Wardogs and Defiance.  I get the vibe that Defiance is more W40K, and Wardogs is more Battletech?   Is there any difference between the two aside from mechs?

I would like to try out a Wardog conversion of Gear Krieg.  can this game accomodate that type of setting?  Or is it pretty much only for far future genres?   

Thanks

Re: Wardogs or Defiance?

Wardogs is a bit less involved than Defiance...

And yes, it can accommodate Gear Krieg, though you might need to tinker things a bit...but it's also designed with that in mind as well. smile  For non-specific settings, it is set up to be able to run steampunk to far future.

And while it seems mech-centric, it really is more of a combined arms balance...much more-so than battletech on top of being a bit faster and bloodier in terms of combat.  At least IMO. smile

Re: Wardogs or Defiance?

I think the most basic difference is scale of play. Defiance AFIAK is designed for 20mm-30mm figs where as War Dogs is designed for 10/15mm and lower. I'm getting into 6mm myself so of course my vote is for War Dogs. The robust vehicle design system allows you to design a balanced army the way that you want. If you want mechs, you can have mechs, but if you have a buddy that's not into giant robos they can do that too. Basically, if you want to to Gear Krieg, but you have a friend that isn't into the walkers. You could still do an alternate history WWII game with one army that doesn't have Walker tech.