Topic: Ummmm......

Why I get a 404 error whenever I try to add Wardogs to my cart?  Is it only available in PDF right now?

Re: Ummmm......

koyodude wrote:

Why I get a 404 error whenever I try to add Wardogs to my cart?  Is it only available in PDF right now?

Errrrr....Dan?!?  :?

koyodude wrote:

Works for me... :?:

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I just tried myself and got the same error.  and a lot of red x boxes on the catalogue page. wonder if it's an update compatibility issue?

go0gleplex wrote:

I just tried myself and got the same error.  and a lot of red x boxes on the catalogue page. wonder if it's an update compatibility issue?

I need details...

Browser?

Where exactly are the red X's?

When you get the 404 error, does it tell you specifically which page you were supposed to reach?

It shouldn't be your browser, tho... everything is in PHP and thus server-side. :?:

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

It gave me the same error a few weeks ago when I tried to get the demo rules.   
Im on a work computer that Im convinced was created in the paleolithic era, so that might be the problem.

I have just discovered that every link on the page sends me to the same 404 screen. 
Info you requested:  running IE 7, red Xs referred to are the picture place holders, no background on page, just white text, every link says not found.   

Im not a real IT guy, so I couldnt even begin to give any theories.  Just chalk it up to inferior computing devices for now smile

Not Found

mj12games.com | 404 Error

404 Error

Sorry — the file you were looking for does not exist.

You can spend some time contemplating its non-existence, or you can return to the previous page.

I'm not planning on geting it, but I did gothrough the motions.

I got al the way to paypal, so K-Meleon's latest browser works. Maybe it's a Internet Exploder problem...

I can confirm it is a browser issue, I have this screenshot to "prove" it.  Note the subtle differences between the rendering of the page for IE on vista and the mac firefox rendering.

[attachment=0]mjhuh.jpg[/attachment]

probably a stylesheet thing. You probably need an IE only stylesheet?

I will also confirm from work with their ancient version of IE (XP not vista).

Sigh, another reason that open standards aren't really open.

jimbeau wrote:

I confirmed the new stylesheets on Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, and Safari...

And the problems being described (links not working, pictures not loading) shouldn't happen because of stylesheets.

I've never had a problem with mj12games.com, but I've noticed that on other sites (Yahoo! for example) the stylesheet doesn't load correctly the first time, but refreshing the page fixes the problem.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Yeah, Yahoo has some pages that don't even load right in the versions of IE they use at work.

Gotta agree with Jim, likely a browser problem - downolad and install K-Meleon and Firefox if you can.

Why K-Meleon? It's based on Firefox (technically, the Mozilla code base), but loads faster, is generally lighter memory-wise, and has some tools that work on my computer ("Translate this page from..." and the Favorites plugin) better than Firefox while reading most pages and being faster than Firefox.

Why - Yes, I DO have three browsers on my computer. I had Netscape 3, and a couple of no-names I dont recall, but they were getting too long in the tooth to read most pages....

I was right, and I was wrong.

I was right: it was NOT a browser problem.

I was wrong, because I failed to make changes to some coding on the Wardogs pages when I changed the PHP a few weeks back.

Everything's fixed now, thanks to Mike (not Dugan smile).

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

So, we were all half-right...

PHP not rendering the same in different browsers isn't technically a browser problem, it's a standards problem.  :ugeek:

Well, it's fixed anyway  big_smile

thedugan wrote:

PHP not rendering the same in different browsers isn't technically a browser problem, it's a standards problem.  :ugeek:

PHP is server-side; it does not interact with the browser at all.

The problem wasn't that the PHP was rendering differently for different browsers, it's that the PHP was providing incorrect HTML, which different browsers have varying tolerances for...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:
jimbeau wrote:

I confirmed the new stylesheets on Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, and Safari...

And the problems being described (links not working, pictures not loading) shouldn't happen because of stylesheets.

I've never had a problem with mj12games.com, but I've noticed that on other sites (Yahoo! for example) the stylesheet doesn't load correctly the first time, but refreshing the page fixes the problem.

Correct, I saw unformatted links ad assumed it was stylesheets.

Now that we're fixed, the wardogs money should come rolling in!

cricket wrote:
thedugan wrote:

PHP is server-side; it does not interact with the browser at all.

The problem wasn't that the PHP was rendering differently for different browsers, it's that the PHP was providing incorrect HTML, which different browsers have varying tolerances for...

Please select your favorite response.....

My first attempt at a reply wrote:

Yes, that was my point....all browsers don't render the pages the same way, given the same source. Hence my assumption it was a browser problem. So, with mis-configured PHP, some browsers would give useable output - others wouldn't. Since it worked (I'm assuming) for you, you assumed it was all good on the PHP side until someone asked about it that had a browser that didn't render it as you intended

My second attempt at a reply wrote:

YAAAYYYYY! It works!!! you fixed it!!!!!

hey thanx guys.  works like a charm now big_smile

Thanks Dan. (belatedly)  big_smile