Topic: IS and Armada Mash?

I have only played IS.  I have Armada Admiralty edition, but haven't played it.  I bought the new IS/Armada crossover.  I have to admit I don't like hexes.  I like straight table top miniatures.  A big reason for my liking IS.  I bought the crossover to spark my trying out Armada for real, but it hasn't happened.  I am still not interested even though I have spent the money on it.

Can anyone share with me why Armada is a cool engine and something that will prompt me to play (with IS or other setting)?

I bought VBAM Armada and I really want to play Armada, but I keep having visions of SFB (and the 3" 3 ring binder of rules).

Re: IS and Armada Mash?

Well...for starters, you CAN play Starmada w/o hexes with some tweaking. The hexes just make it simpler really. So no real need to get hung over a simple hex issue. wink

The awesome strength of Starmada:AE lays in three main areas IMO.  Easy to understand (and therefore play) rules; It's flexibility between settings; and it's absolutely awesome and supercalifragilistical ship and fighter design engine.  The fun part goes without saying...

We have played a couple of games of the original IS rules and then tried the Starmada version the other week and everyone prefered it.

No working out how many guns can fire in each arc, and no having to be really careful when you take a peak under the counter-tent to see which ship it is to put it back in exactly the right place since it now just needs to be in the right hex.

I have a couple of issues over weapon arcs (some of the turrets seem to have rather generous arcs given where they are depicted on the ship, plus most ships can fire all of their light guns down the hex rows directly fore and aft) but these are very minor in comparison to what we found was much faster and easier game play than the original.

RobinStirzaker wrote:

We have played a couple of games of the original IS rules and then tried the Starmada version the other week and everyone prefered it.

I'm glad you liked it -- although I think each game has its advantages.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I have to admit the big reason I have been attracted to Armada are the design engines.  The ships seem to be really easy to put together.  That is the biggest kewl factor for me.  The rules are easy (ish). 

I have a 13 and 10 year old and the rules have to be quick and easy to keep their attention.  They are both very bright and my youngest is very intuitive when it comes to playing games, but the attention span and the stoic stick to itiveness just isn't there yet.  Thus my attraction being greater to the IS rules (for them).  Otherwise I'd probably be all over Armada (except for the hexes tongue).