Topic: IS painting schemes?

OK --

This week I'll be hitting the woman to let me buy my first IS minis using the VISA.  Checking out the Brigade Site, I'll be able to get the following for about $31 plus shipping:

Some Stands
A Bantam class BB
Two Haemonculus class Cruisers
Three Tycho class Light Cruisers

If I order them this week, I should have them in plenty of time for Father's Day.  And Hell, I live 40 minutes from downtown Columbus.  Something's slated to hit here in June, isn't it?

I figure I'll have two fleets for my use.  The Brits, and the Austrians (if/when they come out -- that's gotta be a ways off).

My main question is -- what colors to use?  I have a ton of Reaper paints, and I've been trying to think of a uniform scheme for my fleet.  It can't be anything too outlandish, 'cause these are early 20th century ships, regardless of the tech.  But then, you don't want it to be too dull, either. 

Anyone painting IS ships yet?

Re: IS painting schemes?

I'll put those models aside for you - not that stock is a particular problem right now !

As for colour schemes, the Russians I painted for the stand at Salute are plain grey (Tamiya Dark Grey) with pale grey superstructures and turrets. The Brits are in a blue-grey colour (I'd call it RAF Blue - can't remember the Tamiya paint I used). These colours match with the renders I've had from Mike. I picked out the windows in a bright yellow shade which looks very striking, and hand-painted the flags. The faces of the 'sails' are black. I'll take some photos as soon as I get a chance -working late this week :-(

Tony
[/quote]

I am toying with some ideas.

I was thinking pale blue hulls with grey highlights for the brits. (so that is nice with the brigade colors, I think.)
I am playing with mixes that do the same with a red base for Russians.

I am also planning to experiment to get something like an irridescent effect for the sails, with different primary color based on the fleet.

I am lazy and may try to find decals that work for the flags.

Taltos wrote:

I am toying with some ideas. I was thinking pale blue hulls with grey highlights for the brits. (so that is nice with the brigade colors, I think.) I am playing with mixes that do the same with a red base for Russians.

Soviets are red, Russians are DARK grey...racially, the same group, politically not the same group.

Taltos wrote:

I am also planning to experiment to get something like an irridescent effect for the sails, with different primary color based on the fleet. I am lazy and may try to find decals that work for the flags.

I'd go with a flourescent yellow paint or just bright white for the sail area, the spars being the base color.

Now, if you got some nichrome screen and a power source.....but that might melt the miniature....

thedugan wrote:
Taltos wrote:

I am toying with some ideas. I was thinking pale blue hulls with grey highlights for the brits. (so that is nice with the brigade colors, I think.) I am playing with mixes that do the same with a red base for Russians.

Soviets are red, Russians are DARK grey...racially, the same group, politically not the same group...

Oh, heh. smile I had not even thought about the Red-Soviet angle. I had just settled on it in my thoughts/testing as a nice grim color (especially with the gray tones over top) for a ship that I had not seen often.

thedugan wrote:
Taltos wrote:

I am also planning to experiment to get something like an irridescent effect for the sails, with different primary color based on the fleet. I am lazy and may try to find decals that work for the flags.

I'd go with a flourescent yellow paint or just bright white for the sail area, the spars being the base color.

I am still going to play with it... I keep picturing the shimmering on the sail ship in that DS9 episode, and some of the effects from "Treasure Planet". Something to really pop out and catch the eye.

Taltos wrote:
thedugan wrote:

Soviets are red, Russians are DARK grey...racially, the same group, politically not the same group...

Oh, heh. smile I had not even thought about the Red-Soviet angle. I had just settled on it in my thoughts/testing as a nice grim color (especially with the gray tones over top) for a ship that I had not seen often.

Well, no one has seen the Soviets except Dan and Me....
unless Dan's sent them to someone else...
:-)

I'm in the fat middle of working up Soviets now - the elephants are giving me fit's, so I'm changing genres...

As to the sails, I added the glow during the conception of Iron Stars, because I didn't like the idea of 'schooners in space'..

I think the tech meeble will end up reflecting that eventually.

Right. guess my last post was poorly worded all around.  :oops:

thedugan wrote:

Well, no one has seen the Soviets except Dan and Me....
unless Dan's sent them to someone else...

I meant I hadn't seen that color schemed painted much (generally) and was just trying to think up something unique and, hopefully, striking.

thedugan wrote:

As to the sails, I added the glow during the conception of Iron Stars, because I didn't like the idea of 'schooners in space'..

In fact, that is the same reason why I was going with the ideas I was for my sails, to make them shine/glow rather than look like a sea-going sail.

thedugan wrote:

Soviets are red, Russians are DARK grey...racially, the same group, politically not the same group.

I'd just like to go on record as saying we haven't yet decided that the Soviets will indeed be red... smile

Dan

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:
thedugan wrote:

I'd just like to go on record as saying we haven't yet decided that the Soviets will indeed be red... smile Dan

Hmm... Alright, I should have said that I'm currently using red as the Soviet color for current renders. Dan hasn't given me leave as to exactly what color he wants to use, we're still in the 'developing the concept' stage...

Are Martians gonna be red? I'm doing them in red, also.  The 'Martian Megasaucer' isn't ready yet either...:-)

"Traditional" Soviet colors (IIRC) are khaki and red - khaki being a light brown, essentially. I wonder what 'Soviet One' would look like in light brown...?

Done big_smile

Just paid for them, like 3 minutes ago.

Bantam
Haemonculus X2
Tycho X3

I see pics for the Banneret class cruiser and Gamma destroyers.  Any idea when they might be available for sale?