Topic: Welcome to the new MJ12 Forum!

Hello all, and welcome to our spiffy new forum. The Yahoo! group will remain active for the time being, but it is my hope to shift all discussion to this BB system.

I don't know yet whether I like it better or not, but it gives us more control, which is a Good Thing.

Anyway, enjoy!

Dan

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: Welcome to the new MJ12 Forum!

It certainly cannot be any worse than the new Yahoo Group look...

I like the fact you can split the posts to the sub sections - so much easier

KDLadage wrote:

It certainly cannot be any worse than the new Yahoo Group look...

Whaddaya mean? I worked hard on this look -- I think it's great!

big_smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

lol

I like that you can read the sections you want, instead of getting posts/emails on games I currently dont play, not that I mind getting the other emails, etc big_smile

-Franz

I wouldn't worry too much about splintering the group, as someone above stated, other people are annoyed by posts about the games they don't play.

You could keep the Yahoo group for storage, and post an admin notice monthly. It could also point people here and maintain an 'advertising prescence' on Yahoo.

I may have to lessen my profile on Yahoo, I really hate the 'new look'

BTW, Dan - did you get the planetoid I sent you? lol

Ahh... that's why - I forgot to log in before posting.

Which brings to mind that non-logged in posting should be prevented before enterprising trolls find this forum...

Also, I think the option to either "remember me" at login time or not should be available to the visitor.

Other than that, this forum is IMHO a great big step up from having to use a Yahoo group. Thank you mr. Kast!

cricket wrote:

Whaddaya mean? I worked hard on this look -- I think it's great!

I mean "This looks good; but even if you gave us baby-shit brown and lime green, it would look better than the current Yahoo groups..."

Sorry... that was me; I forgot to log in...

That was strange... I logged in, and still got a "Guest" label; I just logged in again and hopefully this will take care of it.

tnjrp wrote:

Which brings to mind that non-logged in posting should be prevented before enterprising trolls find this forum...

No kidding, 'guest posting' is just another way to say 'we love spam', and will only degrade the 'Mj12 Experience'....

Are You Experienced?

(and if you know what that means, you're as old as I am)

thedugan wrote:

No kidding, 'guest posting' is just another way to say 'we love spam', and will only degrade the 'Mj12 Experience'....

Didn't realize that it was something I had to do manually. But it's been fixed.

Dan

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about splintering the group, as someone above stated, other people are annoyed by posts about the games they don't play.

Well, I hope you're right. Of the 664 members of the Yahoo! group, only 23 have jumped over here.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Worst comes to worst, you've got the ''core group" in both places, and the casual group stays on Yahoo.

Have you posted a link on the main MJ12 page, and on the main page of the yahoo group?

Might also want to look at the number of people that are 'web only' and digest mode (as I am).

I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to get people over here, if it's not a money issue - forcing the issue will (in my opinion) just cause problems and upset people.

Web only and on a slow connection, whereby the clumsy Yahoo navigation, and massive batreps for games I dont play, are made annoying by the time it takes to load each individual thing I'm not SUPER interested in..... and then there's the ads.......

smokingwreckage wrote:

Web only and on a slow connection, whereby the clumsy Yahoo navigation, and massive batreps for games I dont play, are made annoying by the time it takes to load each individual thing I'm not SUPER interested in..... and then there's the ads.......

I guess I just don't have the frame of reference -- I rarely (if ever) go to the Yahoo! page, and just rely on the messages to come to me.

It's much more personable that way, IMHO, and already I'm missing it...

If I could just figure out how to make the listserv functionality in phpBB work.

Dan

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Heh, whereas i find the BB much more personable, and only like yahoogroups for really low volume stuff.

I started out using PINE via a dialup shell account at SMU in 1996-7. I actually enjoyed it, easy to use - pretty cool. I didn't care for Pegasus Mail, which they started using about 98, a year before I left their employ.

I was on one list, and also did newsgroups with Pine.

I've had a Geocities site since about 97 or so....

Onelist, then Yahoo as my single mailing list moved. Then Yahoo ate Geocities...I started to do more groups - then the web interface for more groups. I'm on groups I never look at, as they're 'resource only' lists.

At Yahoo, things were cool until they stopped archiving attachments.
...then more ads, then shockwave ads via the web interface, now this...

I do yahoo 'digest' for things that I like to keep track of, but can't or don't participate in (like the 'Victorian lists' I'm on to entice more people into Iron Stars)..

I only get 'seperate emails' for active projects like SF Omega....

This forum is much better, I feel, than the group. I hated the look of everything on Saturday when I logged on...

And Dan, thanks for the playtest file...:D

Someone has started a petition online about Yahoo's 'improvements'
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Yahoo groups petition link

Hi Folks,
While I haven't seen too much discussion on the new Yahoo Groups format that was implemented last week, I have seen much disgruntlement elsewhere. For those of you who might not be amused with the new format, here is a place to discuss your dislikes.

I for one believe that this new format is bulky and more time consuming than prior to the change.

So far the count is 15,800 disgruntled yahoo'ers.

Have fun,
Terry Wellman

http://www.petitiononline.com/kham2087/petition.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18098 Signatures Total

- once I'd added mine
:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

phpBB is outpacing Yahoo! in our poll 9 to 1...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Now, if you would just quit messing with the settings we may actually get comfortable with it. tongue

Heehee....

That petition now has 19343 Total Signatures...

I expect a lot more this weekend.