Re: Welcome to the new MJ12 Forum!

Over 20000 now...

Well, speaking as someone who's just started in on MJ12, I have to say the board seems a better choice. At the moment I'm getting into Starmada, but that pretty much consuming my tactical thinking currently, and about the last thing I need is to be tempted by all the shiny other games you guys have. Though give it time, and I bet I'll end up playing at least half of them.  smile

Bobcat wrote:

Well, speaking as someone who's just started in on MJ12, I have to say the board seems a better choice. At the moment I'm getting into Starmada, but that pretty much consuming my tactical thinking currently, and about the last thing I need is to be tempted by all the shiny other games you guys have. Though give it time, and I bet I'll end up playing at least half of them.  smile

Is your last name "Goldwaite" by chance?
big_smile

Although I do not play any of the games other than Starmada, I do like reading after action reports for all of the games.  I do not know how hard it will be to find them in this format, so that may be a loss to me.

spencercl wrote:

Although I do not play any of the games other than Starmada, I do like reading after action reports for all of the games.  I do not know how hard it will be to find them in this format, so that may be a loss to me.

Not sure that will be an issue, since the forum allows you to look at all topics that have started since you last logged in. As long as we make sure to title our posts appropriately, I don't think we'll end up losing any information.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Dan,

It may have been just me (yes, I am a rocket scientist), but I did not get a clear indication that you were definitely shifting everything over to this new forum.  Perhaps, as someone stated, the casual MJ12 guys are still over at Yahoo, but that may be that you didn't spell out the move clearly.

I do like it much better than the travesty that has become Yahoo Groups, and I like the split forum since I primarily focus on Starmada and Iron Stars. . . but I don't think that will isolate people since I like to look at the other stuff as well, and I think most people would also.

Just my two cents!

CSAR Pilot wrote:

It may have been just me (yes, I am a rocket scientist), but I did not get a clear indication that you were definitely shifting everything over to this new forum.  Perhaps, as someone stated, the casual MJ12 guys are still over at Yahoo, but that may be that you didn't spell out the move clearly.

That's because I didn't announce that we were definitely shifting over... it just sort of happened. smile

Maybe I'll go make an announcement...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

Not sure that will be an issue, since the forum allows you to look at all topics that have started since you last logged in

And a very good feature it is too! Also, it seems to work with this particular board regardless of the computer I log in from. Strangely enough, that's not a given with phpBB...

CSAR Pilot wrote:

. . . but I don't think that will isolate people since I like to look at the other stuff as well, and I think most people would also.

I agree - I just joined in the forum fun last night, but I immediately like it much better than the yahoo group.

I still check into posts for games that i am not as interested in, just to see what folks are talkin' 'bout. I do miss getting emails sent directly to my own email account, but the forum has a such a great layout system that its worth that loss, IMHO.

Josh

My other concern with this format is that the powers in-the-know will have to monitor all of the lists for questions instead of one.  This will slow the follow of information to us not-in-the-know.

spencercl wrote:

My other concern with this format is that the powers in-the-know will have to monitor all of the lists for questions instead of one.  This will slow the follow of information to us not-in-the-know.

Let's be honest, tho... this was happening anyway. THere's so much going on, that I for one can't keep track of all of it.

So -- it may be time to start designating "point persons" for each of the games....  :?:

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

I would say a good deligation of authority in establishing point people as the "first line support" for the various games would be a very good idea...

smile

Hey,

What happened to the cool look of the forum? alla sudden theres a big phpbb logo, and everything essentially looks more like the yahoo group since it got its facelift... :?:

grendeljd wrote:

What happened to the cool look of the forum? alla sudden theres a big phpbb logo, and everything essentially looks more like the yahoo group since it got its facelift... :?:

Whaddaya want from me?

One thing at a time...

smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

Whaddaya want from me?

One thing at a time...

smile

I just got scared, is all!  :wink:

Josh

grendeljd wrote:

I just got scared, is all!  :wink:

Unfortunately, it appears that a couple of the cool features only work if we leave it on the default skin.

However, I do have some control over the colors and style of the skin...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

so you can replace the phbbb logo with the cool mjXII logo, etc

jimbeau wrote:

so you can replace the phbbb logo with the cool mjXII logo, etc

Yes. I can also change the colors.

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Um, why is the icon thing on the left gone now?

:cry:

I've made it through my Windows 2000 installation (with less problems than I suspected), so I've been out of it for a day and a half or so....

...things are now turning weird colors.

I think Dan's screwing with things in the middle of the night again.

..and the emoticons are gone.

I think - testing.... big_smile  yikes  sad  smile  :?  8)  lol  :cry:  :oops:  tongue  :x  :evil:  :twisted:  :roll:  :wink:  :arrow:  :?:  :!:

thedugan wrote:

I think - testing.... big_smile  yikes  sad  smile  :?  8)  lol  :cry:  :oops:  tongue  :x  :evil:  :twisted:  :roll:  :wink:  :arrow:  :?:  :!:

I warned you about that... smile

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Regardless of people's individual feelings on the forum, you've got to admit it's stimulated discussion; we're on pace for 1200+ messages in April... smile

Dan

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

Regardless of people's individual feelings on the forum, you've got to admit it's stimulated discussion; we're on pace for 1200+ messages in April... smile

Dan

Tell me about it - I've gotten 2-3 digests a day the last 2-3 days.... :shock:

I vastly prefer this system. I barely checked the yahoo group because by far most of it was non-ares, and thats the only mj12 game I own at the moment. Two big thumbs up on the new system.

I prefer the forums over Yahoo, as I get a lot of email as it is..... coupled with the fact that even if you unsubscribe from some groups, Yahoo never forgets that you were there, so you still get the emails......LOL

John