Topic: No activation markers?

Random thought...

What about removing the need for activation markers, instead charging players $1 for each stack moved?

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Re: No activation markers?

I think those two mechanisms serve different purposes. Activation markers prevent a unit that has moved or fought from moving. (This both prevents double moving and allows pinning.) A charge for movement limits the amount of movement a player can do.

So: I think if there was a charge, you'd still need the activation markers.

Instead of a charge, how about having admirals as another type of unit? An admiral doesn't contribute to combat, but only an admiral can move or initiate an attack. This would speed up larger games, as players wouldn't move every one of their units every turn. Admirals could be a fairly precious resource, especially if the number of them each player can have is limited. They would add to the story if you give then names (or even special abilities). If the admiral markers were two-sided, they could be flipped when they move or fight, obviating the activation markers.

Maybe that should be an optional rule?

BTW, you might need a kludge like TI has to allow players to swap forces between systems in one turn. Currently, if I move my forces from system A to (friendly) system B, I've pinned my own system B forces.

mundungus wrote:

I think those two mechanisms serve different purposes. Activation markers prevent a unit that has moved or fought from moving. (This both prevents double moving and allows pinning.) A charge for movement limits the amount of movement a player can do.

So: I think if there was a charge, you'd still need the activation markers.

Maybe I'm not being clear -- the idea would be that you can move a given unit as many times as you like each turn; but you have to pay each time a stack is moved.

Instead of a charge, how about having admirals as another type of unit?

I like the concept, but more as an optional/advanced rule, rather than another type of "standard" unit.

BTW, you might need a kludge like TI has to allow players to swap forces between systems in one turn. Currently, if I move my forces from system A to (friendly) system B, I've pinned my own system B forces.

Not true -- activation markers apply only to the units in a moved stack, not to all units in the hex where they ended their move.

Although maybe it should be that way -- an activation marker is placed in the destination hex, and no units may move out of a hex with a marker. :?:

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

cricket wrote:

Maybe I'm not being clear -- the idea would be that you can move a given unit as many times as you like each turn; but you have to pay each time a stack is moved.

Interesting, but weird. A rich player could shoot their fleet all the way across the galaxy.

Not true -- activation markers apply only to the units in a moved stack, not to all units in the hex where they ended their move.

Although maybe it should be that way -- an activation marker is placed in the destination hex, and no units may move out of a hex with a marker. :?:

Yeah, I assumed the latter. Like I said, it allows pinning, which opens up some interesting strategic options.

mundungus wrote:

Interesting, but weird. A rich player could shoot their fleet all the way across the galaxy.

Not that weird. Supremacy worked this way.

Yeah, I assumed the latter. Like I said, it allows pinning, which opens up some interesting strategic options.

So I could move one little fleet into your home system, pinning all your reserve fleets and preventing them from attacking the rest of my expeditionary force?

Interesting...

Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
cricket@mj12games.com

Yes in supremacy (a great classic)it works this way.But IMO its tightly inverwoven with the carefully balanced stock exchange system, so I am not sure if it works also in SS. If there is no extreme improvment in gameplay because of paying 1$ as often as you want to move fleets, I would prefer to normal way. Possibly as advanced rule or racial technology there could be an 2nd movement per turn (emergency movement?)  which cost not 1$ but 2$ per fleet.